The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #466
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sam, you and Colbert need to "non-coordinate" your SuperPac's.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #467
SamIam

Jon Stewart is my guru. Everything else I post is simply the meanderings of my brain off medication.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #468
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
... has put forth the idea that low income youth should be assigned some kind of civic employment, ...
I guess he doesn't care about balancing the budget after all...
Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #469
SamIam

Oh, I don't think he actually means to PAY them. He never said anything about THAT. They need to know their place. Pay?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #470
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
well... I f I had one, he would have been it.
word up
Old 01-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #471
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
I'm sticking with Newt, the candidate for thinly disguised racism. He calls Obama the "food stamp" president and has put forth the idea that low income youth should be assigned some kind of civic employment, so they can learn about the work ethic, since no one in the projects is available as a role model.

I also heard him saying on NPR this morning that he favors jobs over work stamps. Oh, Newt you job creator, you. Just don't say anything to all the people you laid off at Bain Financial.
Except that a lot of low income youth don't have any role models who work. Finding a way to make working more profitable than not working seems a valid goal and Mitt worked for Bain not Newt.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #472
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I think some type of program where the utes of America do some type of service for the country ... other than fighting wars could be a good idea, although not a novel one.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #473
Griff
still says videotape

Yeah, he was describing a younger Americorp. Creating disincentives to work is a Democrat thing, we won't see that in a Republican proposal. Remember that Obama's administration wants to prevent farm kids under 16 from working. Let's call a truce no Republicans in the bedroom and no Democrats in the fields.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #474
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Except that a lot of low income youth don't have any role models who work.
I'd be curious about just how much "a lot" is, and how one would measure the number of role models available to any given group of kids. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Finding a way to make working more profitable than not working seems a valid goal and Mitt worked for Bain not Newt.
Yeah, sorry about that. Sometimes my bizarre and tiny brain confuses such things.

It is my feeling that a number of different things will have to happen to a number of different groups before any real change occurs. The stereotype is that so long as drug dealing remains such a lucrative business, kids will choose to deal crack or meth or whatever over working for minimum wage at McDonald's.

The stereotype is that so long as certain Native American tribes make the decision to pay their members just for existing, some will choose to party their lives away. A job just gets in the way of a life of chronic alcoholism.

And so on...

But I think it’s a vast over-simplification to say that members of minority groups are merely shiftless substance abusers in need of role models.

We need to take a long, hard look at racism and the active role it continues to play in America today. I read a statistic somewhere which stated that one in three African American men between the ages of 18 and 30 have been in prison, or are in prison now, or will be in prison in the near future.

And if that’s not bad enough, look at the unemployment situation for black Americans NOT in prison. In December, black unemployment rose from 15.5 % to 15.8% overall and from 39.6 to 42.1 among African American teens.

Contrast these statistics to an overall unemployment rate of 8.5 percent for the same time period – an actual improvement even as the situation for black Americans worsened.

Hispanics did somewhat better at 12.5 percent unemployment.

And last, but certainly not least, here’s what’s happening with Native Alaskans and American Indians.

Quote:
• By the first half of 2010, the unemployment rate for Alaska Natives jumped 6.3 percentage points to 21.3%—the highest regional unemployment rate for American Indians.

• Since the start of the recession, American Indians in the Midwest experienced the greatest increase in unemployment, growing by 10.3 percentage points to 19.3%.

• By the first half of this year, slightly more than half—51.5%—of American Indians nationally were working, down from 58.3% in the first half of 2007.

• In the first half of this year, only 44% of American Indians in the Northern Plains were working, the worst employment rate for Native Americans regionally.

• The employment situation is the worst for American Indians in some of the same regions where it is best for whites: Alaska and the Northern Plains.
Read more and weep here.

44 percent. 12.5 percent. 15.8 percent. 42.1 percent.

These statistics are outrageous. America should be ashamed. Instead we blame Hispanics, blacks, and Natives for not having “enough good role models” and proposing special work programs for them. No one asks if the children in these groups have the same access to a good education that the children in white suburbs have. We don’t talk about the food and nutritional needs of children living in poverty except to make cracks about obese “welfare queens.” God forbid that the “food stamp president” make decent meals available to the children of the poor. No one asks about the children whose families live in homeless shelters and how difficult it is for these “street kids” to make the same educational progress as a child who has a settled home to go to. And Newt forbid that we consider the medical care or lack there of available to children of the poor.

OK, I see this post is taking on TWesque proportions, so I’ll stop. I have only one more question. How are we going to pay for this proposed SOCIAL program of providing jobs for disadvantaged youth? You think the Tea Baggers are going to cowboy up and find a way to do it? Not hardly.

We have major, major problems facing our society. The Republican response is to simply cut all social programs and hold the hands of the rich. Newt’s or whoever’s proposal for jobs for kids is just so much more hot air.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #475
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Metropolitan Unemployment rates ...
Best to worst - I couldn't get the chart to work out...

10 worst ... ALL but one in CA. The other in AZ. Ranging from 14+% to over 27%

http://bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm
Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #476
SamIam

Pretty interesting link. Apparently, anyone seeking a job should move to North Dakota where the unemployment rate is something like 2.8 percent. Intrigued, I checked out North Dakota on the vast City Data Forum.

Word on the forum is that North Dakota is experiencing quite the oil boom in the western part of the state. If you want a job on the oil rigs, its THE place to be. Except there's no housing.

However, the oil-rama has caused the entire state to boom, so you can find jobs even in the eastern half of the state in Fargo and Bismark, etc. And the housing is pretty cheap. I checked out the Fargo paper's classifieds and was stunned at all the job listings. I could even continue in my new found career as motel desk girl, given all the openings they had in the hospitality industry alone.

Good to know in case I become truly desperate. But I can't feature moving to North Dakota unless my situation here becomes untenable.

How's that for thread drift?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #477
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Sam, if it makes you feel any better, the situation with Australian Aboriginals is even worse. Life expectancy is 15 years less (or more), they're 10 to 12 times more likely to be in prison, etc etc.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #478
Griff
still says videotape

Look at people not stereotypes. I didn't hear myself say any of the things you said I did. Humans learn best through role modeling, unemployment rates are high and higher in minority communities. The long-term unemployed can not show their children what it looks like to go to work 5 days a week and simultaneously organize a household. Newt was not saying anything that Democrats hadn't said before. I have an aide in my classroom right now who would be better off unemployed because her families' significant health care needs were better met under medicaid. She persists because she wants someday to have a middle-class life, but the cards are stacked against her. Most of Newts solutions are not likely to be helpful, but to dismiss them out of hand because of party bias isn't helpful either.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #479
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Anyone that's been paying attention knows the politicians have created a monster in the welfare system. Now several generations in, how do you correct it? Cutting it, to force recipients to work when there's no jobs for them, will lead to a horrendous crime wave. Maintaining the status quo will lead to more people trapped in the system. I think education is the only way out but nobody's figured out how to implement that.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #480
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Obama is finally jumping on the Bain Capitol bandwagon....

New Obama OMB director a Bain alum

Quote:
"I'm pleased to designate Jeff Zients to lead the Office of Management and Budget. Since day one, Jeff has demonstrated superb judgment and has provided sound advice on a whole host of issues," Obama said in a statement accompanying the announcement today. Zients previously served as Deputy Director of OMB under Jack Lew, who became Obama's chief of staff with the departure of Bill Daley.

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney might also be pleased at Zients' promotion, given that they have a common professional background; Zients worked with Bain & Company as early as 1988, according to the Bain website. Romney worked at Bain & Company, first from 1977-1984, and then again from 1991 and 1992, when he was the Bain & Company chief executive officer.

The Bain name has become politically-charged recently with the rise of Mitt Romney -- not for his work as a Bain & Company executive, but rather his career at Bain Capital. Romney helped found Bain Capital with his Bain and Company colleagues in 1984, and he led the firm until 1990.

Update: Bain & Company says that Zients worked there from August 1988 to June 1990. Romney apparently returned to Bain & Company from Bain Capital in January 1991, so they missed each other by six months.

President Obama's top campaign strategist, David Axelrod, criticized Romney for having a "Bain mentality," just as some of Romney's Republican presidential election rivals have blamed him for layoffs that took place at companies that Bain Capital financed.
http://campaign2012.washingtonexamin...in-alum/317976