The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-21-2020, 07:49 PM   #166
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
I spent nine years plus in my country's uniform.
And in all that time never once learned what a strategic objective or phase four planning is. Its called an enlistedman.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #167
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

You are in even less of a position to sneer now, you who hadn't and haven't the mental health to function in military circumstance. You never bet your life on your society, your civilization. I understand you to be an object of contempt, and as far as that goes, you quite agree: when you dislike all things, you dislike yourself not least, and perhaps foremost, among them. You end up swamped in an evil. Dismissed.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 04-22-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:20 PM   #168
Urbane Guerrilla

And also on Ignore, as of this evening.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #169
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Self care is very important.

Good on ya.

But is it censorship?
Old 04-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #170
Urbane Guerrilla

iirc, the very first night I came on the Cellar, I was chewing his ass -- coming up on sixteen years ago. Okay, fifteen and a half, like. The guy has an allergy to our overthrowing oppressive tyrannies... I'll not sin so. If not us, just who again?

It is a point of pride, not putting anyone on Ignore. Well, I'm surrendering that corner of my pride. The degree of his non-improvement, his solipsistic nongrowth and nonmaturing, is astounding. Not much humor, either -- the mark of a certain out in the extremes sort of mentality. But 'most everyone here does know that about him, and a good many choose either a personal policy means or a mechanical one to not interact -- and good for them. More serene. Less of the bitterness of his acquaintance.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #171
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
You are in even less of a position to sneer now, you who hadn't and haven't the mental health to function in military circumstance. You never bet your life on your society, your civilization. I understand you to be an object of contempt, and as far as that goes, you quite agree: when you dislike all things, you dislike yourself not least, and perhaps foremost, among them. You end up swamped in an evil. Dismissed.
I did 10 years in the infantry, and I am sneering.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:43 PM   #172
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luce View Post
Somehow he is an expert on strategic objectives.

He has constantly insulted me (rather than address facts) since his lies, about a book back around 2003, were exposed. Turns out, everything that UG believed was contradicted by that book. The book defined a George Jr strategy as defective. UG said he was endorsing that Cheney strategy.

The book discussed strategic objectives. It applied directly to what would become the "Mission Accomplished" war and the resulting failures. (His second book was even more complicated.)

UG eventually admitted he never got past the first chapter in that first book. He only saw what he wanted to see - as a Corporal would. That Corporal did not even know the difference between tactical objectives and strategic objectives. But he is somehow a military genius.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #173
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Somehow he is an expert on strategic objectives.
That is why I am sneering.

Quote:
UG eventually admitted he never got past the first chapter in that first book. He only saw what he wanted to see - as a Corporal would. That Corporal did not even know the difference between tactical objectives and strategic objectives. But he is somehow a military genius.
I was a sergeant, and I never dealt with strategic objectives. Our objectives at my level were more like "sneak around behind that hill" or "cut that road" or "get more MREs up here", etc.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #174
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luce View Post
And good for you; what MOS's did you hold? I was addressing tw there.

I made first class petty officer -- Cryptologic Technician (Interpretive) First Class. Good duty if you can get the clearance. In the rear, with the gear, to be sure. I'd be the last to call the job a fun one to watch -- it's guys under headphones staring at equipment.

But the Toxic One -- no prayer of anything like it. Nor of having done anything that worthy.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #175
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
snip--
But the Toxic One -- no prayer of anything like it. Nor of having done anything that worthy.
presumably you're talking about the very senior Whitehouse official, the anti hero of this thread.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #176
Urbane Guerrilla

Might want to recheck that presumption -- you may do it ironically if you want.

There's just nothing worthwhile on the Democratic side of the aisle: hacks, drones, anti-economists publicly desirous of debasing the currency, and at least one active anti-Semite yet unrecalled. Given that, the people who like a free Republic (you might join these) flee to the Annoying Orange (he does annoy, true) for refuge and for strength to be evil's ruination. Making policy that is essentially libertarian in inspiration is no sort of villainy, but the discommoding of the villainous and crawly Statist, the great Enemy of Liberty and other wonderful things which are essential like oxygen. Can't make you see it; you can't stop me seeing it. I see farther than you do. You could practice.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:35 AM   #177
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

First class technician in cryptologic... hmm...

cryp•to /ˈkriptō/
noun
a person having a secret allegiance to a political creed, especially communism.

The word 'crypto' comes from the Greek word kruptós, meaning 'hidden' or 'secret'.

a person who adheres or belongs secretly to a party, sect, or other group

crypto adjective

not openly avowed or declared

log•ic /ˈläjik/
noun
reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles.

Yup, it figures.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #178
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
And good for you; what MOS's did you hold? I was addressing tw there.

I made first class petty officer -- Cryptologic Technician (Interpretive) First Class. Good duty if you can get the clearance. In the rear, with the gear, to be sure. I'd be the last to call the job a fun one to watch -- it's guys under headphones staring at equipment.

I was an 11B. Army, infantry, bog-standard. E5 when I was medically discharged.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #179
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
First class technician in cryptologic... hmm...
Those crypto boxes had beads that were set for different encryption settings. Moving those beads without breaking a support wire was the job of crypto technicians. They had no idea how those boxes worked or what they did. They were only told what setting to use. These techs would not know what PCM, FSK, nor even NRZ was. That was data incoming and outgoing of those boxes. Techs only knew what cable must connect to what port.

Even that was hard to screw up. Each connector was keyed so that crypto techs would not make a mistake. So corporals did those jobs.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:48 PM   #180
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

The Opposition to Trump Loyal to their country grows daily.

Here is a sober explanation of why Trump's actions have been and continue to hurt Trump's political fortunes.

Quote:
The country has witnessed and experienced Trump's greatness and changed its mind.

Americans may have grown accustomed to the lies and exaggerations, but more of them have become hostile to Trump's illiberal, cynical, and divisive vision for the country.

They looked in the mirror and did not like what they saw; they felt ashamed and insecure at home and abroad.