The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: how often do you smoke marijuana?
I've never tried it 32 30.48%
I did it when I was younger, but don't anymore 31 29.52%
I smoke only in social settings or alone when I think I can get away with it 16 15.24%
I'm a weekend warrior 11 10.48%
I smoke on a daily basis 15 14.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2004, 07:42 AM   #31
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Consider: when was the last time you saw this on Action News ... "And the drug test is back on the Septa Driver that crashed his bus into a stationwagon full of disabled nuns. It was found to be negative."
What? Why would they report that? If the drug test was negative, if it were mentioned at all, it would be in the form of "and while drug tests have been negative...".
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:03 AM   #32
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

As noted earlier, it takes up to a month for the metabolites to clear out of the blood. So you should ignore it every time they report a driver tested positive for marijuana. 10% of the US would test positive if tested right at this moment. Only a fraction of that is actually impaired.

If half the drunk drivers on the road were high instead, we'd probably save about 10,000 lives a year...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:36 AM   #33
wolf
lobber of scimitars

LJ, We're both safe on the Denny's thing ... but that was darn close. My hanging out was done at the West Chester Denny's, a bit earlier than your timeframe at Exton.

We had a lot of fun with the late night waitstaff there, and it would have been just too funny if that had included you.

Where the heck did Denny's go, anyway?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 12:05 PM   #34
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

the west chester one is one of the only ones left 'round here.

i don;t miss it a little bit. worst job i ever had.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 12:18 PM   #35
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
LJ, We're both safe on the Denny's thing ... but that was darn close. My hanging out was done at the West Chester Denny's, a bit earlier than your timeframe at Exton.

We had a lot of fun with the late night waitstaff there, and it would have been just too funny if that had included you.

Where the heck did Denny's go, anyway?
I spent *many* late night hanging out at the WC Denny's in the late 80's. I worked at The Oyster Bar (The Marshallton Inn), and we'd all go as a group after work and drink coffee. Good times...
Old 01-23-2004, 01:43 PM   #36
headsplice
Relaxed

Isn't the Oyster Bar the leather bar in the Police Academy movies?
Old 01-23-2004, 05:42 PM   #37
jinx
Come on, cat.

That was the Blue Oyster wasn't it?
Old 01-23-2004, 06:20 PM   #38
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yes.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:20 PM   #39
P-J
Rapscallion

wtf??? how did this thread move from weed to restraunts???
P-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:33 PM   #40
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Stick around for a while and it will become crystal clear.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:10 PM   #41
farfromhome
Management Consultant

Quote:

If smoking weed (or doing coke or speed or whatever) was more important than their careers, then I question their overall "direction" in life to begin with.
A number of thoughts ran through my head upon seeing your post , wolf.Heres the first-Nice generalization.Smoking pot or...coke,speed-what else?Do you also think that speeding or shoplifting is also the same as the crimes of rape or murder?
Second thought-Believe it or not,there are millions of people in this country who go to work every day,do their damn best and go home.They leave their work at work.These people take pride in what they do at work.But it is not their "career".Its a job.Some of the most well-rounded people I know can keep that perspective.
Third thought-I am not a long haul trucker nor do I come from that background.The majority of people in this country who have a commercial drivers license sleep in the their own beds ever night.That was a pretty stupid assumption on you part.
Now ,can I make an assumption(since you felt free to)?I'll bet the world is only black and white to you,isn't it wolf?What a suprise you're a cop.Sarcasm intended.
farfromhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:36 PM   #42
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I have never smoked pot and I've never done any form of non-legal chemical. Even in high school I drank only infrequently. During my time in the navy the only use I had for alcohol was for negative effects (sometimes you feel that forgetting can be a good thing).

As far as the specifics of weed goes, I don't smoke because it's a control issue. I don't like being out of control.

The people I see who smoke only infrequently don't seem to have any problems with it. On the other hand, the ones who I see that smoke regularly (daily, several times a week) have reached a dead stop in their lives. Why? I see the loss of motivation, and I see the prodigious amounts of time and money they put into acquiring it and I have to wonder why ANYTHING as unimportant as things like that ultimately are are so central to their lives.

As to the legalization issue, I say legalize all of it and then punish people who get out of line with ANY form of intoxicant equally and severely.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:45 PM   #43
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by farfromhome

A number of thoughts ran through my head upon seeing your post , wolf.Heres the first-Nice generalization.Smoking pot or...coke,speed-what else?Do you also think that speeding or shoplifting is also the same as the crimes of rape or murder?
Second thought-Believe it or not,there are millions of people in this country who go to work every day,do their damn best and go home.They leave their work at work.These people take pride in what they do at work.But it is not their "career".Its a job.Some of the most well-rounded people I know can keep that perspective.
Third thought-I am not a long haul trucker nor do I come from that background.The majority of people in this country who have a commercial drivers license sleep in the their own beds ever night.That was a pretty stupid assumption on you part.
Now ,can I make an assumption(since you felt free to)?I'll bet the world is only black and white to you,isn't it wolf?What a suprise you're a cop.Sarcasm intended.
In defense of wolf in this case, we can amend her statement to be:

If risking any form of proscribed activity that is not important to life or it's furthering is more important than keeping food on the table and lights burning, then I question their overall "direction" in life to begin with.

Wolf, if my amendment of your statement is in error or not in keeping with the intent of your statement let me know.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:51 PM   #44
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter

The people I see who smoke only infrequently don't seem to have any problems with it. On the other hand, the ones who I see that smoke regularly (daily, several times a week) have reached a dead stop in their lives.
your sample group must be quite limited. I know several people who would contradict your stated trend. Snoop Dog. Cheech and Chong. Bill Clinton.

People aren;t gonna tell you if they smoke every day. how do you know your boss doesn't fire up the bong on a nightly basis? You have never tried it, therefore your opinion is somewhat weakened. You may have the ability to observe and deduce, but if you have never tried it, I question your exposure to it, and the validity of your conclusions about it.

oh, and welcome aboard.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:12 PM   #45
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Been there, done that.

I personally think it should be legalized. Having had to take psychopharmacology classes for my psych degree, I know that drugs such as weed and acid aren't as harmful to the body as alcohol is.

The legal drugs, such as tobacco, alcohol, and caffeine, are ALL physically and psychologically addictive, and cause a tolerance in users (translating into more money for the companies who sell them). Certain illegal drugs, such as marijuana and LSD, are not physically (though they can be psychologically) addictive, and do not cause tolerance in users. I was even told, albeit grudgingly, by my psychopharmacology instructor, that LSD is basically a seratonin reuptake inhibitor. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that Acid is basically an antidepressant....

Why is alcohol, which is highly addictive, physically dangerous (it can cause long and short term memory loss, cirrhosis of the liver, retrograde amnesia; and, due to lowered inhibitions, is a cause of drunk driving, murder, spread of STD's, alcohol poisoning and interpersonal abuse) legal, when a drug such as marijuana, (which can cause short term memory loss; is not a statistically significant cause of violence in users; which can have at least as much of a medicinal application as the cocaine sometimes used in dentist's offices; and whose overdose isn't fatal as alcohol overdoses can be) is not?

If the criteria for the legality of a drug is its level of dangerousness to the human organism, then alcohol should top the list of illegal drugs. While I'm not advocating drugs--legal or illegal--I AM showing the arbitrary nature by which drugs are deemed legal or illegal by the government. The criteria for legality would seem to be: a high level of addictiveness, a high potential for creating revenue, and high controllability/regulatory nature (for example, it's harder for a regular Joe to grow tobacco than it is for him to grow weed. Therefore, weed is made illegal, and tobacco is made both legal and more addictive with chemicals--high addictiveness, high revenue, high controllability). Ta-da!

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote