The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #16
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I saw one fail spectacularly a few weeks ago... loud metal on metal grinding sounds, sparks and embers shooting from the bottom, it was awesome. Scared the shit out of the little girl using it though.
Bonus!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #17
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeecc View Post
Never seen one before..
Old 03-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #18
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
whytf would you put dry laundry in one??

The fitness center at college had those spin dryer things for wet stuff. They were awesome. Don't overspin stuff in them though, it can accelerate wear and tear on your suit.
I suppose you could spin it with a dryer sheet to freshen or remove wrinkles
Old 03-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #19
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeecc View Post
Try getting a UPS (Universal Power Supply). They regulate the power so that its constant - no spikes, no lows either. You can get one for around $30. I use one for my computer stuff and one for the TV and stereo.
Get Head-On. Apply it to a machine's forehead. Same technology also recommends a UPS.

Electricity from that UPS is some of the most destructive to electric motors. That UPS is recommended using same reasoning that proved Saddam had WMDs. That UPS can even apply more spikes to computers, TV, stereos, etc. That UPS does not claim to do anything posted. However those without any electrical knowledge (ie your Best Buy salesman) will promote that UPS as a miracle solution.

There is no alternative to the Kill-a-Watt recommendation. Solution to motor failures is impossible without numbers. UPS is not even protection for the TV, stereo, et al.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
Cloud

if I determine that my outlet (or apt.) has "bad power" -- is there a solution? Other than moving out?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #21
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
if I determine that my outlet (or apt.) has "bad power" -- is there a solution? Other than moving out?
Yes or no. Both answers are correct numerous times due to no numbers or facts.

Don't worry about things hypothetical. Get facts. Answers come much later.

Meanwhile, important facts still are not provided. For example, where is the reply about incandescent bulbs? They were not rhetorical questions. Those questions demand immediate answers should useful replies be desired.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #22
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

A good UPS with power conditioning can improve power quality, protect against spikes and dips and provide power for a short time in the case of grid interruption. If they didn't do these things why would data centers and telecommunications centers spend so much money on them?

You can even get whole-house UPSs.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #23
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
A good UPS with power conditioning can improve power quality, protect against spikes and dips and provide power for a short time in the case of grid interruption. If they didn't do these things why would data centers and telecommunications centers spend so much money on them?
They are both called UPSes - therefore they do same? Word association being used to invent a fact. An industrial UPS located at the service entrance is confused with something completely different - a $100 box that does nothing but a few minutes of backup power. It does nothing more - does not do all those things aimeecc posted. A serious UPS performs a long list of functions for thousands of dollars. Therefore the UPS for tens of dollars also does same? Nonsense.

$100 manufacturers quietly say don't put motorized appliances on their products. They say to not do what aimeecc recommended.

HungLikeJesus, show me where it claims to protect from spikes or improves power quality. Do you believe the manufacturer makes that claim? Show me. Intentionally said bluntly because no such claim exists.

What does a UPS do? Connects an appliance directly to AC mains - no filter, no spike protector, no harmonic attenuation, no voltage adjustment. When power goes off, that UPS provides no power while taking time to switch to batteries. Then it outputs motor harmful electricity.

Those building wide systems installed in communication facilities don't do any of this; perform differently. Even their batteries have a 20 year life expectancy.

Same logic that proved Saddam had WMDs is also being used here to wildly speculate what a UPS does. When I say ‘learn lessons from history’, I am citing the same failed thinking (wild speculation) that makes these above UPS claims. UPS manufacturer does not claim what was posted for the same reasons that no facts said Saddam had WMDs.

Well, HungLikeJesus and aimeecc both have posted what the majority believe. Majority does not make a technical fact. Reality: those popular beliefs about UPSes are completely wrong; promoted by people with George Jr ethics (except that UPS promoters don't claim to talk to god).

HungLikeJesus - did I make it obvious how adament I am about those UPS lies? You and aimeecc should go after those who lied to you about UPSes. Those liars should have zero credibility.
\
Old 03-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #24
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Sorry tw. I didn't realize that I had said all of those things that I didn't say.

What I thought I had said was:
Quote:
a good UPS with power conditioning...
Thank you for pointing out my error.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #25
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
What I thought I had said was: a good UPS with power conditioning... .
We were not discussing a UeePeeSsss that is found in telephone COs. We were discussing UsePezzSes that are found inside homes. UsePezzSes don't do power conditioning and don't claim to - not matter how highly regarded the manufacturer. To get power conditioning, one needs a UeePeeSsss that costs on the order of $500+ or $thousands.

If it has a APC name, then it probably has zero power conditioning. It is only a battery backup. During battery backup, that power could be harmful to electric motors.

UeePeeSsss are found in industrial environments and adjacent to power breaker box to also provide power conditioning. UsePezzSes are found in the home; typically output harmful electricity because computers have resilient electronics. Computers are so resilient as to not be harmed by power from a UsePezzSes. IOW a UsePezzSes recommended by aimeecc and HungLikeJesus does not provide a power conditioning solution; can acutally create worse conditioned power.

Good UPS with power conditioning was not recommended by aimeecc or HungLikeJesus. Neither recommended a $500 or $5000 UPS.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #26
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Same logic that proved Saddam had WMDs is also being used here to wildly speculate what a UPS does. When I say ‘learn lessons from history’, I am citing the same failed thinking (wild speculation) that makes these above UPS claims. UPS manufacturer does not claim what was posted for the same reasons that no facts said Saddam had WMDs.

George Jr. is responsible for all failures in science and history.
\