The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-11-2004, 11:10 AM   #1
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Granny gets stunned

http://www.officer.com/article/artic...&siteSection=1

Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- The city of Portland has agreed to pay $145,000 to an elderly blind woman after police pepper-sprayed and shocked her with a stun gun.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
marichiko

I wish I could feel surprised by this, but I don't. There are policemen out there who are decent people, doing their best; but there's also a significant minority who are little better than the criminals they supposedly are protecting us against. It also just goes to show that there are two systems of justice in this country - one for the white, middle class (preferably male), and one for everybody else.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
"While she's still on the ground, on her stomach, they tased her in the back and in the breast,'' her lawyer said.
Okay, so if she was on the ground, on her stomach, how could she be tased in the breast??

sidenote: one of my friend's police dept issued a memo which stated "As of (date) it is the policy of (dept) that suspects cannot be tased for the purpose of making them spit out drugs that they are attempting to swallow."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko
- one for the white, middle class (preferably male), and one for everybody else.
You have clearly never been attacked by a feisty elderly lady ... the problem in dealing with such is that your instinct to defend yourself is in conflict with the need not to break the little old lady. One of my ambulance crew has a scar from a little old lady encounter that required 30-40 sutures to repair. AND she got him through a pair of heavy work pants. She clawed him. No teeth or weapons involved.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 05-11-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Okay, so if she was on the ground, on her stomach, how could she be tased in the breast??
I could do it, if I wanted to and was perverse enough.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

She'd have to have large, balloon-like, perky hooters for that.

IIRC, Taser use requires a center of mass shot, within a specified zone of the torso. Also, if someone is already down on the ground, it's usually not necessary to tase them.

Old 05-11-2004, 01:07 PM   #7
jaguar
whig

I bet she was pirating MP3s.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:52 PM   #8
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

She should know better than to roll her eyes at policemen.

Yes, I know I'm going to hell.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 06:14 PM   #9
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

You have clearly never been attacked by a feisty elderly lady ... the problem in dealing with such is that your instinct to defend yourself is in conflict with the need not to break the little old lady. One of my ambulance crew has a scar from a little old lady encounter that required 30-40 sutures to repair. AND she got him through a pair of heavy work pants. She clawed him. No teeth or weapons involved.
Actually, I have been attacked by a feisty, elderly lady. This woman had attacked another little old lady in the neighborhood and left bruises on her arms. The police were called and all they did was to tell the attacker to please not resort to violence the next time she had a disagreement with someone. When this same woman later attacked me - she has senile dementia combined with an extreme paranoid streak - I was easily able to grab both her hannds and force her arms down to her sides. No tasers were required, and I am not especially strong.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:32 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko
It also just goes to show that there are two systems of justice in this country - one for the white, middle class (preferably male), and one for everybody else.
Bullshit, in a crowd that's precisely who the cops go after. Not the women, not the kids, the men. I suppose W/MC/M never have this happen to them.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:45 PM   #11
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Bullshit, in a crowd that's precisely who the cops go after. Not the women, not the kids, the men.

Exactamundo Bruce , in crowd controll classes in the USMC we were told to watch for the largest folks ( guys) . Though a question was asked " what about the little old ladys with butcher knifes ?" The instructer just paused then said " well then i guess your FUCKED !!!!"
Old 05-11-2004, 08:46 PM   #12
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Bullshit, in a crowd that's precisely who the cops go after. Not the women, not the kids, the men. I suppose W/MC/M never have this happen to them.
Frankly, I think just like any other predator, they go after the easy prey. Given the choice between a prosperous looking white male in a 3 piece suit and a funny looking kid with green hair and a grubby looking woman, I bet the businessman would be their last choice.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:47 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wrong.:p
Old 05-11-2004, 08:48 PM   #14
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Bullshit, in a crowd that's precisely who the cops go after. Not the women, not the kids, the men.
Pffft! Anyhoo...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:58 AM   #15
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

Pffft! Anyhoo...
I'm guessing you have some experience to contribute since you have such a cavalier response?