The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-25-2005, 11:05 AM   #1
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

What's your heebeez

Ok, we human. We all have these quirks and such that make us all individuals. Sometimes, however, our quirks can be rather strange. Like what gives us the heebee-jeebeez. What gives us the creeps. What "wierds" us out. Now, I'm not talking about the obvious, average stuff like nails on a chalk board, or clowns, or the Clintons, I'm talking about strange stuff that would make other people think... .

So, what gives you the heebeez?

My heebee is buttons. You know, like on shirts, pant, and dresses. Not all the time. Just when I happen to find one that has escaped from its clothey prison, laying on the floor, or worse, sitting at the bottom of the washing machine. Blagh! I don't know why, been like this since I was a kid.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

you said fingernails on the chalkboard doesn't count, but that is my BIG thing. i mean HUGE. i have goosebumps just typing about it.
-i had to drop a required class in college because the prof squeaked his chalk frequently.
-i help with Junior Achievement and i laid a condition down that i won't go into a classroom with a chalkboard.
-my son is working on Writing Without Tears, which requires a chalkboard. i leave the house when he works on lessons.
-the feel of chalk on my hands makes me break out in sweat.
-i can't even listen to people talk about it. while typing this i had to stop for a moment to crack my knuckles and neck before i could continue.

i have found recently that it isn't just the dreaded chalkboard. i had to restrain myself from literally punching my son the other day because he sat down and scratched his nails on the driveway.

it makes me physically ill.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs
My heebee is buttons.
Ever read Coraline? You probably wouldn't like the Other Mother.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

okay, you said no clowns, but man. them, and mimes. they make me cry.

my weird one is hair - when it's not attached to someone's head. has to be THE MOST disgusting thing on the planet. I even hate cleaning my own bathroom floor.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Mine would be anything across my throat, like the edge of the blanket in bed, or a tight collar. When I was a wee lad, I read a collection of Hitchcock horror stories, one of which involed a guy who slit throats.
|_______________| [pics]

Last edited by Happy Monkey; 08-25-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:33 AM   #6
lookout123

mimes? they don't normally freak me out, but outside the entrance to the field where the Leaning Tower of Pisa is... the freakiest scariest mime i've ever seen in my life. their mimes are dressed in black and white or try to be comical. this guy was on stilts so he was @ 10 feet tall. his face was painted silver and he was wearing silver/black robes. he didn't move. he just stood there with a really frightening smile and wide open eyes with his arms spread like he wanted a hug. he was spooky enough that we talked about him everytime we saw a mime for the rest of the week.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
mrnoodle
bent

There was a woman on Maury or some such show who was 'noid about chalk. She was clinically off her rocker about the stuff. They brought a bowl of it into the studio, and she went utterly batshit. It was like she had seen Satan himself.

My thing is bones breaking. I don't mind blood n guts, or broken bones on something that's already dead. But the moment of breakage is too much for me. I simply can't watch it or hear it without wanting to crawl inside my own butthole and die. Whenever someone gets set up for the elbow pop in a martial arts movie, I shut my eyes and cover my ears. Joe Theisman's leg injury almost sent me to the hospital. I can hardly watch people getting hit in football for fear it's going to happen again.

It stems from a pretty spectacular knee dislocation I had at age 14 (and 3 subsequent ones in later years, all requiring pretty extensive surgery). I gots gimp knees. I'm always afraid someone's going to come up behind me and pop one out, so I'm not really truly comfortable unless my back is to a wall or something else that precludes sneaking up on me.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
jinx
Come on, cat.

- That material with the holes in it that they make sports jerseys out of
- The Laurie Anderson song on wolf's cmep project.
- Centipedes
- Yes
- K cars

The biggest one for me though is water and whatever is lurking in it. To say that I'm afraid of sharks is an understatement (ask jim, he thinks I'm nuts), but they barely scratch the surface really. Lakes, rivers, creeks... swimming pools , there could be eels, snapping turtles, big fish, scary bugs...
Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 PM   #9
glatt

Empty cicada shells, after they molt, used to give me the heebs. Then we had like 500 million of them in our yard last year. They don't bug me any more.

When I'm inside the house, and a bug crawls on me, I don't really expect it, so it gives me the heebs in a big way. I usually kind of spazz out as I try to brush it off quickly. Outside, they don't bother me, because I expect them.

My 3 year old son doesn't like peepers (those little frogs that are really loud.) They give him the creeps.

I don't like heights. I get nervous when I'm up high. At work, we have a spiral staircase with glass railings. The staircase is 6 floors tall. Every once in a while, I lean over the railing and look down from the top floor, just to give myself a rush. Freaks me out.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 PM   #10
lookout123

didn't you just get a kayak?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:06 PM   #11
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
- That material with the holes in it that they make sports jerseys out of
I hate that stuff too!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #12
mrnoodle
bent

The top and bottom incisor teeth clicking together.

Or biting a fork.

Or molars grinding.

Okay, teeth.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #13
Pie
Gone and done

Shrieking children.
I want to hit them.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:29 PM   #14
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
didn't you just get a kayak?
Gotta face your fears, you know... But normally I'm in the boat and "safe" from whatever is lurking. I would never kayak in the ocean though, fuck that.
When we were in NY at the begining of the summer I was kayaking in the lake at our camp site and had an alligator-sized snapping turtle dive under the boat, right near my hand as I paddled. I nearly levitated.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:37 PM   #15
marichiko

This is an irrational fear that has really started to bug me because it interferes with something I really enjoy doing - getting off on my own to the back coutry for a while and just communing with the stars and the nighthawks and the coyotes. But I seem to have developed this terrible anxiety that comes over me as soon as it get dark and I'm out on a mesa or something camped all alone. I do all the common sense stuff like lock my food in the car to not attract bears - we only have brown bears down here, anyhow. I know a mountain lion attack is higly unlikely in the first place and more likely to occur at dusk or dawn if I DID have such an encounter, and I know that if there was some crazy lurking that far off the beaten path, the chances of him coming across me would be very, very small. They don't call em wide open spaces for nothing! Still I sometimes get absolute panic attacks which I never did before. This really bothers me, because I was never like that until here lately.