The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #1
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

OK yoos Philly guys...

My Wife just left for Philly for four days to attend a technology in education seminar. We've been told the Philly cheese steaks and the pretzels are the main attraction, and of course there's that "bell thing, " but there's got to be more to the city than that. Whats there to do/see?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Elfreth's Alley, Betsy Ross House, plenty of bars, Edgar Allen Poe House, Independence Hall (which is separate from the Bell Thing), National Constitution Center, South Street (which I think used to be much cooler), run up the steps of the Art Museum just like Rocky (a surprising number of tourists actually do this).

At least she'll be the hell out of Dodge before Live8.

Is she actually going to be in the City, or just nearby?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
Hobbs

It's the National Educational Computing Conference and it's being held in the Pennsylvania Convention Center in downtown (Arch St. if that means anything). Her group is staying in a hotel somewhere nearby. I know it sounds really bad, but I'm not really sure which hotel she's staying at.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's vitally important to tell her this one thing...

The cheesesteaks at the Reading Terminal Market are not good cheesesteaks!

The RTM is attached to the convention center, and the nearby Marriott. Better and more authentic steaks are available just about anywhere else.

An extremely awesome and authentic Pennsylvania lunch (but no cheesesteak) is to be had at the Market's "Down Home Diner".
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

If there's one thing at RTM that makes me want to go back there, it's the hoagies at Salumeria.

As far as cheesesteaks, mom and pop joints >= tourist traps (Jim's, Pat's, Geno's).
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:49 PM   #6
breakingnews
Q_Q

This place is my favorite:
<A HREF="http://www.collphyphil.org/muttpg1.shtml">Mutter Museum</A>

Sonny's and Campo's are at 3rd St and Market St, probably the best cheeseysteaks near the Convention Center.

That area is also right in Chinatown - plenty of good asian food there. Also a good opportunity to have dim sum if none is available where y'all are from.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:50 PM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I second the vote for The National Constitution Center. As a matter of fact, on Tuesday night they are having a seminar on Presidential Power in a Post 9/11 World. If it weren't for the fact that there is no way I can get from my work to there by 6:30, I'd love to see that.

Independence Hall, the "Bell", and the National Constitution Center are all on the same strip of park, which is about the size of a football field cut up by three streets.

Benjamin Franklin's grave is catty-corner to the Constitution Center at 5th and Arch. Even when the cemetary is closed the grave is right next to the sidewalk and viewable behind a section of iron fence in an otherwise entirely brick wall.

This is someones picture from the other side of the wall. The gray building peeking just above the fence is the Constitution Center. The street is Arch street at 5th, about 6 blocks from the Convention Center.

My idea of a nice day trip is the Constitution Center for about 1 1/2 hours followed by a trip to the free 'Money in Motion' exhibit at the Federal Reserve which is across the street from the center (it's the red marble building in the picture). They may still give out free bags of shredded money. Then it is a two block walk to the start of Chinatown. At 9th and Race there is a small strip of stores. The storefront closest to (or second doorway from) Race Street is the Fortune Cookie Factory. It really is a one-room factory, but if you walk in you can purchase boxes or bags of 88? (I think that is the number) fresh warm fortune cookies for about $2.

I usually don't see the Bell or Independence Hall when I visit anymore, since the exhibits there don't change much and I hate lines. The Constitution Center is $9 for non-members, the Federal Reserve exhibit is free, and dinner in Chinatown can be had for $10. Add in a box of cookies for $2. If you don't have an Asian market in your town, I recommend a visit to the Chung May Food Market on Race Street between 10th and 11th. It's the size of any old neighborhood supermarket, which is small by today's standards but still large compared to most ethnic food stores. You can find many of the same souveniers there as sold in other stores for a better price and the selection and variety of foods in there is amazing. Philly's Chinatown is nowhere near as large as New York or San Francisco, but it is still interesting.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 06-27-2005 at 06:06 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:37 AM   #8
Hobbs

Hey, thanks folks for the info. I passed it along to the little misses. She was anxious to see the suggestions.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:48 AM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Is the Norman Rockwell museum still in Philly near Indepence Hall?

I did not see the Franklin Science museum listed.

Unfortunately, much of Philly shuts down after 5 PM leaving one to visit the bars alone Delaware Ave - oh some political idiot tries to confuse us all by changing the name. Well, the bars along the waterfront across from Rt 95 at Penn's Landing. Did anyone mention South Street? Chinatown for dinner. South Street for dessert.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:13 AM   #10
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

So who painted the ceiling in Independence Hall anyway? Nasty choice of color that blue.
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:29 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In the 1700s colors were limited.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:41 AM   #12
Hobbs

Mission successful! My wife just returned from your fair city with gifts and stories for the husband and kiddies.

The big hit: Pizza (who knew you were famous for pizza)
The least favorite: Cheesesteak - now before you all rush the stage and riot on me, she was never a cheessteak fan before anyway.

Her and her group hit all the historic spots and loved them all. Thanks for your suggestions folks.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:48 AM   #13
breakingnews
Q_Q

Next time she has to get a cheesesteak from Jim's and wrap it in a 16" pizza slice from Lorenzo's. South Street Special - chew on that!