The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-27-2003, 04:45 AM   #1
Tobiasly
hot

Sharon's change of heart?

Ariel Sharon seems to be taking his most clear-cut stance in favor of ending West Bank "occupation" (he used that word for the first time), tentatively following the U.S. roadmap for peace and creating a Palestinian state.

http://apnews.excite.com//article/20...D7R9HO080.html

So is this an honest attempt towards peace, or is it just a politician's play?
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:00 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think Bush has made it pretty clear what he wants.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:55 PM   #3
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Furthermore...Sharon doesn't have much choice in this.
We are about Israel's only significant ally. If we withdraw our support, Israel is doomed. Sharon is no fool, he knows this. What I have trouble understanding is why we are not treating Palestinian terrorism the same as Al-Qaida terrorism, or any other terrorism. What makes one worthy of retailiation and the other not? And don't tell me because it hasn't happened here yet. We should let Israel deal with terrorism like WE deal with terrorism.

From what I understand from people who have been there, Arabs live quite well on the West Bank for the most part. It is Arafat (according to them) who is causing more trouble than the Israeli army is. I'm getting so sick of the crap happening over there with treaties and pacts and deals (none of which come to fruition) that I'm about to push for letting Israel finish this once and for all.

Brian steps off his soapbox and takes a deep breath
Old 05-27-2003, 11:22 PM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
Sharon doesn't have much choice in this. We are about Israel's only significant ally. If we withdraw our support, Israel is doomed. Sharon is no fool, he knows this.
Sharon knows nothing of the kind. Clearly you don't know the man who as Brigader General lead Israeli divisions into daring missions to take Sinai from Egypt, from nearly bringing the US and USSR into direct nuclear war (the closest the world ever came to nuclear war) in direct and intentional disregard of UN and international agreements, from invading Lebanon even in contadiction to order from both his Prime Minister and Pres Reagan, ....

Sharon has only one objective - taking land for the greater glory of Zionism. He has no change of heart. As a shrewd general, he is simply changing tactics again. The strategic objective has never changed. Changed again is the tactical objective - and how that campaign is portrayed to us.

Sharon remembers with grea personal shame that the Israeli Army forcefully removed Israeli settlement from Sinai. Likud has promised that national disgrace will never happen again. As long a Sharon and Lukid are in power, all tactics are for the conquest of occupied territories - ethnic cleansing of the land.

Until you can say - with Israeli settlement building foundations actually being removed - that right wing extremist Israelis have given up their ambitions - only then is that a reasonable speculation. For as long as any of us have understood world politics, it has always been the objective of right wing extremist Israelis to ethnic cleans the land they regard as theirs - as god has decreed.

Reagan is said to have maintained on his Oval Office desk a picture of a Palestinian girl - because she was a victim of Sharon's massacre of 5,000 Palestinian women and children. A massacre because even Reagan could not stop Defense Minister Sharon from consolidating his positions - until he had traveled 100 miles to Beruit. Such a man does not give up on his life long ambition to conquer territory for the greater glory of Israel. Sharon has not changed. He only plays games with how we perceive him. Trust him - zero.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 12:41 AM   #5
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Oh c'mon tw, if you can't trust a guy called "The Butcher" who can you trust?
Old 05-28-2003, 07:25 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
What I have trouble understanding is why we are not treating Palestinian terrorism the same as Al-Qaida terrorism, or any other terrorism. What makes one worthy of retailiation and the other not?
I think the difference is internal vs international terrorism. Internal is in the civil war (oxymoron) category and exactly what the Jews used to create Israel (second coming) in the first place.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:37 PM   #7
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
What makes one worthy of retailiation and the other not? And don't tell me because it hasn't happened here yet. We should let Israel deal with terrorism like WE deal with terrorism.
It's not just the terrorism.. there are plenty of other issues mixed in there as well, such as the fact that both groups feel they have a right to the same land.

And they have been dealing with the terrorism, but it isn't really helping much, due to said other issues.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote