The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 11-25-2002, 10:34 PM   #1
Tobiasly
hot

ActiveState's Komodo 2.0

Any of you Linux developers used Komodo? I'm giving the Pro edition a trial run, and it's pretty impressive.

As you can see, it borrows heavily from Visual Studio, which I consider a Good Thing. Integrated souce code control, syntax highlighting / code completion, background syntax checking, all that good stuff.

Hopefully I can get my employer to buy a copy. Actually, I'll get the ASPN Perl bundle, and use Visual Perl for .NET at work, and Komodo on Linux at home.

I'm also highly impressed with the Xvnc server that comes with TightVNC's Linux package. I used to think that in order to run VNC on Linux, you had to have your server booted into X.

Instead, it runs its own X server, but instead of binding its output to your tty, it serves VNC clients. So I can leave my server in text mode, and get to my Linux desktop full-screen from my Windows box. And it has its own, separate Xconfig file, so I can use a higher resolution than the crappy video hardware on my server allows. Sweeeeet!
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 09:21 AM   #2
dave

My friend Scott told me to try TightVNC a while ago. I've never looked back. It's truly superb.