The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 09-30-2002, 09:13 AM   #1
Tobiasly
hot

Red Hat 8.0

I was planning on putting the new server together this past weekend, but then found out that Red Hat 8.0 came out today. It has a new GUI, "Bluecurve", that is supposed to be a lot more user-friendly, and also tries to make GNOME & KDE more similar to each other.

However, it appears that the "official" mirrors don't yet have the 8.0 ISO's. I don't know if this is an intentional move on Red Hat's part to try to sell more CD's. Anyhoo, this site currently has them, in case anyone else is looking:

ftp://mir1.ovh.net/ftp.redhat.com/ft...0/en/iso/i386/
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:15 AM   #2
dave

That is just perfect timing, because I was going to rebuild my Linux workstation today.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:29 AM   #3
perth
Strong Silent Type

dumping xp, dave?

tobiasly, have you tried it yet? do you like it?

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:57 AM   #4
dave

No. But I'll always need to have a Linux workstation, because I do a lot of work on it. Right now, it's located in my office (with a new motherboard, processor and RAM and 2x36GB U160 drives waiting to be shitted on by Linux). I just brought in the drives today, so I was planning on installing Red Hat... and now I think I will.

The home system is happily running Windows XP Professional.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:46 AM   #5
Tobiasly
hot

No, I'm still downloading.. maybe I shoulda waited until it was finished before sharing the link.

It's friggin' huge.. 5 CD's. Altough I believe one of those is mostly OpenOffice, and another has various admin utilities.

It looks like aside from the new GUI, there isn't a whole helluva lot that's new. So it may not be that big a deal for me, since I hardly ever use the desktop, although I might try it out more with the new setup.

I also never got Evolution to work right on my 7.2 box.. it was bundled beginning with 7.3, and it looks like 8.0 has an even later version. So maybe it'll work this time, 'cause I'd really like to give it a try.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:51 AM   #6
dave

Evolution is pretty easily the best email client I've ever used (with mutt a very close second). I got 1.0.8 working on Red Hat 7.2, 7.3 and Yellow Dog 2.2. The easiest way, of course, is to just use Red Carpet to install it (you don't have to install Ximian GNOME to install Evolution). Man is it good.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:47 PM   #7
hermit22
sleep.

I'd be interested to know how much of a 'windows-killer' it actually is. I have to set up a computer for my roommate, and she's very much not a computer person, and I don't feel like buying all new software for the thing.

In other words, I wonder if it's ready for primetime yet.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:54 PM   #8
Tobiasly
hot

I think my problem with Evolution is that I tried to install it the old-fashioned way, and it crashed or had some sort of missing dependency. Then I tried to uninstall it and use Red Carpet. And now something's screwed up.. it crashes anytime I try to setup a new user's Inbox.

Hermit, Red Hat themselves say that even now it's not ready for primetime.. their target is technical people who want a more unified environment. But I'll let you know what I find out.

Hmmm.. that link no longer works. I've only got two of the ISO's, and now there's this message in a README.txt:

Quote:
we are sorry, but according email we recevied from redhat,
ovh has been removed from mirror program, because we allow
download of rh8 before the annonced time.

you can download the last image from
ftp://mir1.ovh.net/ftp.redhat.com.NO.MORE.MIRRORED
http://mir2.ovh.net/ftp.redhat.com.NO.MORE.MIRRORED

Octave
Looks like the dealy in ISO availability is planned after all.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:07 PM   #9
hermit22
sleep.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly

Hermit, Red Hat themselves say that even now it's not ready for primetime.. their target is technical people who want a more unified environment. But I'll let you know what I find out.
Ah, ok. I was going off the /. headline when I said that.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:44 PM   #10
Tobiasly
hot

Well then hermit, did you see this link to the review? It looks pretty in-depth

Here's a screenshot from that article. Sorry for the slow load, but I didn't want to resize lest clarity be lost. Dave, you'll prolly dig all those font settings!

I just hope all those fucking handicapped shortcuts aren't enabled by default, like in XP...
Old 09-30-2002, 01:51 PM   #11
hermit22
sleep.

Yeah, I read the first page or 2, but then my short attention span kicked in...
Old 09-30-2002, 01:53 PM   #12
dave

I read her entire review and looked at all the screenshots. It looks nice. I'll probably buy it.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:53 PM   #13
juju
no one of consequence

I don't think I like the red hat on the start icon.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 08:41 PM   #14
Tobiasly
hot

Well, it's about fuckin' time... after several aborted transfers halfway through the files, I finally have all 5 ISO's. The FTP site doesn't appear to be working at all, although I got much faster transfer rates of the HTTP server anyway.

MD5's are A-OK, I'm burning the images as we speak, and hopefully tomorrow I'll actually get to install it!
Old 09-30-2002, 09:13 PM   #15
perth
Strong Silent Type

do you actually need all 5 or are the last 2 source discs? i cant get even 1 of those friggin isos downloaded properly, so post whether or not its worth 40 bucks and maybe ill stick to 7.3 for now.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote