The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-04-2005, 10:37 AM   #16
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

You know what, there's just one thing that bugs me,

I intolerance!
Old 03-04-2005, 10:40 AM   #17
lookout123
changed his status to single

how intolerant of you BigV
Old 03-04-2005, 11:48 AM   #18
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Let us not forget the other edge of the sword.

The multi-culties are intolerant of intolerance. They insist on cultural equality and the recognition of the specialness of every person everywhere.

Unless you don't agree with them.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

0050217_BBEPhiladelphia
Boeing Black Employees Association affinity group to start in Philadelphia

Boeing Philadelphia employees interested in forming a local chapter of the Boeing Black Employees Association (BBEA) affinity group are asked to contact Donna Irby at 1-3106.

An affinity group is an employee association that meets to participate in common interests. They provide skills development, professional growth, mentoring opportunities and leadership tools to aid in achieving strategic objectives of The Boeing Company, through the Business Strategy, Vision 2016, the Diversity Strategy and the Affirmative Action Plan.

Membership is open to all Boeing employees, all retired employees of The Boeing Company and its subsidiaries, government, customer, contract, vendor personnel assigned full time to support the company without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, gender or gender identity, status as a special disabled or Vietnam era veteran or the presence of a disability.

(February 17-24, 2005)
Content: Philadelphia Communications
Technical: Rotorcraft Web Team

Bet if I tried to start a Caucasian Christian Men’s Association they’d fire me.
Even if I allowed all Boeing employees, all retired employees of The Boeing Company and its subsidiaries, government, customer, contract, vendor personnel assigned full time to support the company without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, gender or gender identity, status as a special disabled or Vietnam era veteran or the presence of a disability to join. They wouldn't tolerate it.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:51 AM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Yeah, but are you going to go join the Boeing Black Employees Affinity Group?

My coworkers decided the other night that they wanted to form An Average White Guys Club. I told them that although I suspected they would not be permitted to do so, I would support them wholeheartedly, and that they were welcome to exclude me, as I am an Above-Average White Chick.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:40 PM   #21
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
My coworkers decided the other night that they wanted to form An Average White Guys Club. I told them that although I suspected they would not be permitted to do so, I would support them wholeheartedly, and that they were welcome to exclude me, as I am an Above-Average White Chick.
I guess we know what the house band would be.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:24 AM   #22
mindster2000
Person Who Has Posted

just think about how all of this started.kids who built bombs in their bedrooms ,planned an attack on their school and actually went through with it.wouldn,t you know what your kid was up to?i sure would.the people taking action in this case probably don't even know where their kids are.

Last edited by mindster2000; 03-06-2005 at 03:28 AM.
mindster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #23
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindster2000
just think about how all of this started.kids who built bombs in their bedrooms ,planned an attack on their school and actually went through with it.wouldn,t you know what your kid was up to?i sure would.the people taking action in this case probably don't even know where their kids are.
Notifying parents is a far cry from locking kids up. No guns or bombs were found. I would like the bar set high for locking up juveniles for something they have written. Even then, it would probably be safer to give them a room to themselves at someplace like Wolf's facility then throw them in with the general population in juvenlie detention.

Let's say something bad happens to the kid while locked up and it is shown that what he wrote was not a 'terrorist threat'. Who do the parents go to? The attitude of the authorities will be 'we went by the book' and 'shit happens'.

By these standards, I doubt Stephen King and George Romero would have survived high school.

edit: Scratch that, it appears that the kid was 18 and is being held in adult detention. That's a lot worse.

Now, if it could be shown that the kid was actively recruiting zombies...
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 03-06-2005 at 09:10 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:34 AM   #24
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Hey, if my son snatches his sister’s diary without her permission and reads it, that’s snooping. If he then shows the diary to his brother, then they’re BOTH snooping. No permission=snooping.
While my son lives in my house, anything and everything is open to search by me or my husband. Period.

Quote:
Even an 18 year old in Kentucky has a right to be secure in his effects. 4th amendment: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches…
As a parent, I wouldn't be going through his room unless I had a reason to. It seems to me that if grandparents found stuff that causes them to be suspicious and go into his journal, and it alarms them to the point they call the cops, and then the cops come and find other stuff that gives them cause to arrest, well then, there has got to be something there.

That being said, when I'm paying rent/mortgage/whatever, I have the right to know exactly what is being brought into and carried out in MY house (in other words, to be secure in my house, papers and effects.)

If my 18 year old (who is still in school) doesn't want me in his business, he needs to move the hell out and be independant. They prosecute parents for the crimes of the kids nowadays. If I'm responsible for his actions, I'm going to be all up in his business. If he don't like it, he's 18, he can get the hell out.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
I guess we know what the house band would be.
This new tw is awesome!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #26
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
By these standards, I doubt Stephen King and George Romero would have survived high school.
By these standards, I wouldn't have survived high school.

It was rather in vogue in my school to write elaborate short stories regarding hostile takeovers of the school. Weaponry and James Bond like devices were common components.

Much like my approach to video games where the object is to shoot people in the head, I did this so I didn't HAVE to.

My final project in a class called "anatomy of a revolution" was one of these stories, using the school as a setting, real staff members and fellow students as characters, that detailed a revolutionary takeover of the school, following the pattern described by Crane Brinton in the book we used as a text.

I graduated with honors, rather than a body count.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 03-06-2005, 11:13 AM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

A court recently ruled that parents couldn't eavesdrop on their kid's phone conversations, didn't they? What I forget is if this was the Supremes or a Circuit Court.

(actually the legal issue involved was that information gathered in this way could not be used in criminal prosecutions, but the effect is the same).

Old 03-06-2005, 11:50 AM   #28
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
As a parent, I wouldn't be going through his room unless I had a reason to. It seems to me that if grandparents found stuff that causes them to be suspicious and go into his journal, and it alarms them to the point they call the cops, and then the cops come and find other stuff that gives them cause to arrest, well then, there has got to be something there.
So, every time the cops arrest it's because they have something that proves guilt? In other words, cops never arrest innocent people? That is an incredibly naive statement.

According to the article, there was no 'other stuff'. No bombs, gunpowder, rifles, hand grenades, etc. Just a story.

I'm hoping the ACLU is going to look into this. By the definitions of the law as it was reported, any screenwriter could be arrested for writing an action movie based in a high school.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:34 PM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
I would like the bar set high for locking up juveniles for something they have written.
I don't care what they write, it's not a threat until it's sent or delivered to someone. Handing it in to a teacher as a writing assignment doesn't count either.
If someone is freaked by a kids writings then talk to them, ask pointed questions if necessary to clear the air. But locking them up or throwing them out of school for "just in case", clearly sends the wrong message.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:27 PM   #30
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I don't care what they write, it's not a threat until it's sent or delivered to someone. Handing it in to a teacher as a writing assignment doesn't count either.
If someone is freaked by a kids writings then talk to them, ask pointed questions if necessary to clear the air. But locking them up or throwing them out of school for "just in case", clearly sends the wrong message.
Hey xoB, OC, all, what is your read on this next escalation in the preemptive war on terror? I cannot find the original CNN link, but there are plenteous similar repetitions of this story, enough to give me confidence that it has some veracity. Your comments, please.
Boys arrested for stick figure drawings

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 Posted: 7:29 AM EST (1229 GMT) Wednesday, January 26, 2005 Posted: 7:29 AM EST (1229 GMT)

OCALA, Florida (AP) -- Two boys were arrested for making pencil-and-crayon stick figure drawings depicting a 10-year-old classmate being stabbed and hung, police said. The children, charged with a felony, were taken from school in handcuffs.

The 9- and 10-year-old boys were arrested Monday and charged with making a written threat to kill or harm another person. They were also suspended from school.

One drawing showed the two boys standing on either side of the other boy and "holding knives pointed through" his body, according to a police report. The figures were identified by written names or initials.

Another drawing showed a stick figure hanging, tears falling from his eyes, with two other stick figures standing below him. Other pieces of scrap paper listed misspelled profanities and the initials of the boy who was allegedly threatened.

The boys' parents said they thought the children should be punished by the school and families, not the legal system.