Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #2761
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Someone please tell me how naughty I am for even considering it.
No fucking way, I think you should do it. In fact, I can't think of one good reason why you shouldn't. Travel is an experience you will never regret, and like you said, when else are you going to have this opportunity. Fucking go for it man.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #2762
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

jinx has me convinced too. remembering the TOUR days.....i draw on that experience all the time. I was in a place where i had no obligations, no dependents, and no reason NOT to. sounds like that's where you are.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #2763
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Oh yea. Dooo it. Do it.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #2764
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh now, I'm all confused.
I do have an invite to Kenya in January, which will work out a lot cheaper than the States...

And I am saying to myself - when will I get the chance again?
Currently all on hold til I talk to Mum about moving in, but peversely she'd probably put me up just so I could go - she always wishes she's travelled more when she was younger - by my age she had 3 kids and was having annual camping holidays in Wales and Dorset. Lovely places, except when you can't see them for the rain.

We'll see. I'll get over the hurdle of getting the money I'm owed first, then broach moving back home, then check dates and flight costs against my friend's schedule, and then make a decision based on what I feel I should do.

It's still ever so lovely dreaming, I can tell you!
I should have a PhD in it by now.

Am at Mum & Dad's all week while they're house-sitting (they leave tomorrow). Diz is being well looked after at home by my landlady's cat loving son. And I get to watch widescreen satellite TV and walk around naked. Win win. (I'm also looking after my parents' elderly cat, who started to show signs of illness yesterday, too late for them to cancel house-sitting, so they are pleased I'm here)
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #2765
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I think you should go to Kenya for a holiday. The experience and stimulation will do you a lot of good, and will look good in future job-hunting.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #2766
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Mum talked this morning about seeing my sister at Mass last night.
Apparently she sounded genuinely upset for me (if you knew my sister, you'd understnd why Mum and I are so pleased with this reaction).

Apparently L said something along the lines of, "Well there's no reason for her to stay in East London now is there?" which got Mum thinking. After introducing the subject she immediately came up with two reasons why I couldn't move back, but one of them is easily surmountable and at least the topic is broached. I said nothing (she was on a roll anyway) but I will now be able to come back to it.

It helps that a lot of people here tried to get in on the housing boom, and bought at or near the top of the market. Mum is of the opinion that there are quite a few "young executives" (her words) that now can't afford their two bedroom flats & houses, and there are more people looking to rent out rooms than there are people selling. Who knows, I may end up renting in Aylesbury after all.

But it certainly looks like my plan to get 2 jobs in Ayles and save up by living at home is viable. Now the evil part, don't read if you think I'm a nice person, I just have to hope their cat Mia drops dead in the next couple of weeks, so that I can move Diz in - he's the only sticking point left.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #2767
glatt

I never turn down a chance to travel when I am able to swing it. Travel is worthwhile. ("Travel" here does not mean driving up 95 on Thanksgiving weekend to visit relatives.) So I'd encourage you to travel if you think you can, SG.

What's making me happy today is credit card fraud detection. They thought that ordering $75 worth of pizza from Pizza Hut was enough of an anomaly for me that they called me to ask about it. They were right, and we were able to cancel our cards before there was any further damage.

I'm not sure why it was flagged. We never eat at Pizza Hut, but aren't zealots about it. Maybe it was the time or the location. Since the charge was only pending and hadn't gone through yet I don't know those details. $75 of pizza in Alaska, for example, would be very unusual.

For what it's worth, I think a worker at Make Magazine stole my number. There was a big confusing thing with them about my credit card last week, and I ended up e-mailing their customer service my information because my other attempts to straighten it out were in vain.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #2768
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Lots of beautiful rain to fill up our tanks and water my plants. Oh, and NO hail thank goodness.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #2769
Juniper
I know, right?

Finished my poetry essay! Whoo-hoo! 1,947 words bay-bee!
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #2770
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

SG, you would be crazy not to do all you could to get to Kenya. It may be a life changing event. Something you just may need. I sense it.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #2771
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Well, we signed the contract on the house last week. The inspection was on Monday, and nothing earth-shattering came up. If all continues to go well, we should be take possession before Christmas.
This is the third house we made an offer on. We got outbid the first time (in this market, can you believe it?) and the second time, the seller got cold feet and withdrew from the market.

This house was my favorite of the lot. I had to make sure my husband could cope with the slightly smaller back yard. It's in Ibby's old neighborhood, if you can believe it.
Pictures???
Old 11-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #2772
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
Pictures???
What, so you can stalk me?
I'm in Arizona right now, but I'll get something posted after the first of December.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #2773
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
What, so you can stalk me?
I'm in Arizona right now, but I'll get something posted after the first of December.
Well. You're nobody until you've got a stalker.

But unfortunately, I'm really busy right now.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #2774
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

SG ... travel. Whichever way you go, just go ....
Old 11-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #2775
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
You're going to be sore tomorrow.