The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 03-08-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Philly vs Ottawa

Did anyone see this game?

What happened that Clarke is so upset about? I can't seem to piece the details together from the box score.
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:29 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I didn't see it until most of it was done. Basically it was a massive fight involving most of two teams, including both goalies, capping off Philly putting a mightly smackdown on Ottawa in the form of five pucks in the back of the net.

I turned on the radio and heard them reporting the first set of penalties, then I switched on the TV to see the last 7 players on the Flyers team and the last 6 players on the Sens team finish out the final minute and a half of game.

This led to a record number of penalty minutes.

The town barely noticed.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Aparently Ottawa sent out fighters to beat on non-fighters?
I didn't think Ottawa had that many goons. Any idea who fought who?
Old 03-08-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
warch
lurkin old school

It got ugliest when Brashear beat the crap out of Ray, then Jacques or whoever sent a North American goon hunting for Philly's Europeans, that ticked off Bobby.
No one argues that this is exactly the super funtime Philly fans were rooting for.
They just better not mess with my pal Daniel Alfredson, or I'm jumping the boards.

Playoffs.....Playoffs...Is it Toronto's year?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:44 AM   #5
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

It's too tight in the east to call. A lot of it will depend on the first round match ups. Nobody is getting out of Philly or TO 100% healthy.

And of course, the upcoming trade deadline...

Anyone hear any good rumors?

As for Danny boy... what's with that hair???
Old 03-08-2004, 11:55 AM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

Leech was a great pickup by the Leafs.
Canada is doing alot of deals.
I'm curious about the Pronger/Ottawa rumors.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Shut your mouth! Pronger isn't going anywhere! Weight or Tkachuk, on the other hand...we'll see. The Blues are going to trade for a defenseman or goalie...a good one. Weight or Tkachuk will anchor that trade.

Here's my imitation of Toronto...ahem...

"Hey! We're Canada's team! Let's go spend a shitload of money and have nothing to show for it year after year after year!"

Here's my imitation of New York and Washington...ahem...

"Everything must go! Great players at low low prices! We're selling the place all the way down to the bare walls! Hell, we'll sell them too!"
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:59 AM   #8
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

First, let me get this out up front: Clarke is an ass.

Now then... this brawl was payback for Martin Havlat sticking Recchi in the face a week ago, for which he got an intent-to-injure match penalty. Everybody in the NHL knew that when Havlat came to Philly, there would be hell to pay.

So what happens? Havlat doesn't even get touched. Nobody takes a run at him in the first 55 minutes, Havlat serves the goalie's penalty and watches the rest of the brawls from behind the glass, and Clarke gets upset because the Senators (wisely) kept Havlat secluded instead of delivering him on a silver platter.

I'll watch the fights in Wednesday night's rebroadcast, but if the Flyers want to impress me (much less stand any chance of regaining me as a fan), beating on random Senators AND MISSING THEIR REAL TARGET in early March isn't the way to do it. If they face the Senators in the playoffs this year and actually SCORE SOME GOALS, _that_ might impress me a little.

Or they could average one goal a game again, shoot pucks at their starting goalie's head in the warmup again, trade Esche to Moose Jaw for a bucket of brine shrimp and find a new scapegoat next year, which has been their standard practice the last two years.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:16 AM   #9
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

I can't see Pronger going anywhere. Wishfull thinking on Ottawa's part (and TO's) I think.

Any bets on how many games Bertuzzi's gonna get?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:31 PM   #10
warch
lurkin old school

Bertuzzi is simply disgusting. Cant say I have much respect for Crawford or May either. I feel sorry for Linden, any decent players on that team. That had to sicken them too. He got 10 before, should be more. It was an attack from behind, sucker punch with clear intent to injure. And injure he did. I just read Moore has broken vertebrae in his neck. Criminal.

Last edited by warch; 03-09-2004 at 12:45 PM.