The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #31
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
gonna try the Impreza next.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #32
AmandaH&K
Layperson

[quote=lumberjim;889033]

Look at the Subaru , goddammit. The sport even looks like an elantra GT and theyre both 20k. the Scoobie will hold it's value a lot better though.

Ha! I'm turning my boyfriend into a Subaru enthusiast! As i said to Lola, I am still absolutely in love with my 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5 liter 4 cyl. 7 years later and the car still has a ton of pep! No issues passing anyone or going up hills, 107,000 miles and the engine is still very responsive. My 06 resells for about $7000 on the lower end right now. Those that sound "tinny?" I hear that on the much older models, but not within the last ten years, i'd say. The impreza is a smaller car (although newer models have a larger backseat now) so if you want more room, go for a legacy. If you want a dependable, reliable, safe, fun zippy car, subaru is a definite contender. Please, go test drive one. you don't know the difference until you do. tight suspension, responsive steering, all wheel drive all the time. I can't say enough about my subaru or subaru in general...love, love, love it!

If you aren't interested in a subaru, the altima is an excellent car. Huge inside and also is reliable and holds its value well. Hyundai is good for their warranties. I believe they've really upped their game recently. The only thing that still worries me (my own personal opinion) is the reliability years down the road and resale value. But again, that is only my opinion.

You need to check out consumer reports and test drive, test drive, test drive! My only other contender was a mazda 6 sport...i test drove it and hated how the whole car jerked away from me when i (intentionally) hit a pothole cover. The car was done for me. Enter the impreza. Beyond happy with my decision. Go test drive and see what you like!
AmandaH&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #33
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

It's funny, my aunt recently asked me what kind of car to look at that she could expect 10-15 years from and I had to tell her to check out Subaru... I like Nissan, but suspect that I am biased. I did like them more than Honda and Toyota before I worked here.... But I also liked vw better than most other cars back then.... So i can't really be trusted, because vw is really crap with quality....

If I look at it from the actuarial view point... Meaning, in my Nissan warranty book for Non-Nissan vehicles , .... which cars are the cheapest to put warrantees on.... Class 1 being cheapest, up to class 9....

(if I recall correctly, which after 3 beers I may not).....Subaru impreza and legacy are class 1, as is Honda civic, and fit. Toyota Corolla, Honda Accord, Subaru forrester, Hyundai elantra, I think maybe Ford fusion, surprisingly enough, are class 2. Camry is class 3, as are most make's entry level cars, like cobalt, caliber, sonata, optima....

Mazda 3 starts at class 4 and they go up from there... Which is troubling because they give you a 5-60 bumper to bumper. Vw are all class 6 and above... Jeep liberty is a 5, all others 6. BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar Audi, Cadillac etc. populate the higher tiers. Lexus are mainly 3-4 which is a coup because high line cars carry high line labor rates....

I am doing this purely from memory, and may be off on one or two items... I should scan the clas guide to illustrate this point. It might be a reliable indicator of cost of ownership....

remind me tomorrow when I'm at work, if you're interested in seeing that
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #34
AmandaH&K
Layperson

Cheapest to put warranties on bc their rates of having to repair them are so low?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #35
AmandaH&K
Layperson

You "had to tell her to check out Subaru"...tell her to talk to me, i'll gush enough for anyone
Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #36
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaH&K View Post
Cheapest to put warranties on bc their rates of having to repair them are so low?
Right... Or the easiest to work on, which I suspect has something to do with those low Suburubian rates. Since you can apparently disassemble the entire car with one 10mm socket wrench.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #37
AmandaH&K
Layperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Right... Or the easiest to work on, which I suspect has something to do with those low Suburubian rates. Since you can apparently disassemble the entire car with one 10mm socket wrench.

I so need to get me the correct wrench...
Old 01-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #38
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
I so need to get me the correct wrench...
According to Jim, you already are the correct wench...

So, I ended up having to get a very used car while I repair my credit rating. Went from 719 to 514.

I ended up with yet another Hyundai Sonata, 2004, but a trim level below where I had been. Still a V6 just no moon roof. MY brand new snows will fit it. It's in pretty good shape but for some rust. I will be happy if I get 2 more years out of it. it's got 170K miles.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #39
glatt

No moon roof to leak. Bonus, IMHO.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #40
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

I thought that too, but even after ten years and kids running around on the roof of the car, never had a leak.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Use the old one for parts?
Old 01-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #42
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Too late. I let them junk it and I had no where to keep it.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #43
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Very little relationship exists between a warranty and quality. As I learned some 40 years ago when running a GM parts department.

They told me to get out all my warranty repair parts. A GM regional manager arrived to nickel and dime us on each warranty repair. DeLorean says why in his book. GM decided dealers were another profit center to rape. So they only gave us 10 to 25 cents on the dollar for each warranty.

Of course, that meant we did everything possible to deny or not honor a GM warranty.

GM restarted that program some years ago. Mechanics told me about one Cadillac with numerous warranty problems (before they even sold it). The GM rep arrived. Measured tire pressures. Found two tires that were more than 2 PSI from the recommended tire pressure. Then used that as the excuse to deny reinbursement for warranty repairs.

Best warranties are often an indication of a least reliable product. And not just for cars.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Zoom, right over his head.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:02 PM   #45
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I ended up with yet another Hyundai Sonata, 2004, but a trim level below where I had been. Still a V6 just no moon roof. MY brand new snows will fit it. It's in pretty good shape but for some rust. I will be happy if I get 2 more years out of it. it's got 170K miles.
The Sonata is a great car, and a smart buy when you have brand-new snows that fit. Those aren't cheap and they're necessary anywhere that has a real winter.

Tags
twmo