The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #16
glatt

Reminds me of this old favorite. Matthias Wandel's wasp sucking machine.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #17
Pie
Gone and done

I'm still not getting the idea of using toxic pesticides ON A COOKING SURFACE!
Would you spray your pots and pans down with Raid? A little rat poison on your bruschetta?
You can't scrub down every surface of a grill; lava rocks hold on to whatever has landed on them forever.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #18
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Perhaps bee stings are fatal to the poster. I have a friend whose grill gets infested by wasps every year. She just turns on the gas and ignites it. It's not genocide, it's killing pests that are harmful to her home family and her pets. Buncha pain in the ass bugs anyway.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #19
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

If he'd taken the cover off, the bees would have first become very aggravated and would have attacked. It would have been an invasion of their home. After the initial shock, the bees might have moved on, but more than likely the wouldn't move too far because for starters, they need emergency housing, so anywhere dry and out of the wind is going to be good. The cavities in the walls etc make a good spot, and a lot more troublesome than a BBQ to remove. That said, I agree that calling a bee keeper would have been the smart thing to do rather than poisoning them.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #20
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

The author was calling them wasps, then yellow jackets. I'm not up on my bee categories, but aren't wasps, and even yellow jackets completely different than happy little (really necessary to the earth) honey bees?

Having said that, I have a little wasp nest between my screen and window in my bathroom. I let them go in and out all summer. What do they do in the winter? Can I safely get them out? What should I do with them? That nest grew a lot over the summer, it is no longer the cute little "I'll just leave them be" nest that it started out to be.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #21
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Bees are useful to the ecosystem. They are not aggressive unless provoked. Wasps (aka hornets, aka yellowjackets,) on the other hand, are demon spawn and need to be killed on sight every time.

Don't believe me?

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #22
Aliantha

I always kill wasp nests completely. Burn then smash. Those suckers are nasty and can do a lot of damage to small children if they get stuck about it. Especially paper wasps. I don't know if you have them over there, but they're very aggressive and the sting hurts like a bastard.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #23
glatt

Yeah, but you've got to admit the paper wasp nests are really cool looking.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #24
Aliantha

Oh for sure, but that doesn't mean I'm going to leave them there for a new lot to move into...which they do. Bastard creatures.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #25
SPUCK
Professor

Very sad.. Bees are under extreme pressure that's not even understood. To kill a hive like that is really poor judgment.

For the poster to recognize enough bees are under there, where there would be no other point than to 'nest', and to feel there were enough to require building that weapon, shows serious ignorance. Maybe she should actually watch TV once in a while...

All she had to do was call ANY honey or bee keeper and that hive would be promptly and carefully removed for her.

Stupid. :

If bees were to decline the only thing left of a hamburger, I'm told, would be the bun, as bees are responsible for everything else.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #26
Sarasvati48
Mystical Miscreant

How incredibly stupid. What, not enough bees are dead right now? I knew something was afoot when at the end of the summer of 2006 there were dozens of dead bees on my back patio. At first I thought they were the victims of some idiot like this person, but soon started hearing news reports of disappearing bees. They are an important part of the ecosystem, and this jackass kills them instead of calling a bee keeper. What a jackass...
Sarasvati48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #27
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

I have to go with SPUCK and Saravati.
Unless there are family members with known bee allergies or the bees are Africanized and aggressive, killing them is foolish and sad.
Paper Wasps, Yellowjackets and Hornets with nests in close proximity to human activity may need removal, but overall the kneejerk, pressurized poison reaction to BUGS is to be lamented.
BTW, that form of natural comb building is more and more used in the industry.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #28
JLrep
Recruit or Something

Really, he should've one-upped the bees by offering them his house, as well.
JLrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #29
monster
I hear them call the tide

I find lamentably few people can distinguish between bees, wasps, and yellowjackets, and call them all bees. If this is true for the IOTD provider, I can understand their "need" to kill them.. But I don't take pictures when I'm dealing with a wasp nest. do you? something's fishy there.

Last edited by monster; 11-12-2008 at 09:06 PM.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #30
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
What an unbelievably stupid act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Ditto. Easily available pesticides are not the best idea for anyone except the people making and selling the stuff.
I hate bees. I'm allergic to their sting. Fuck 'em. Kill 'em all & let their mommies sort 'em out. (Ditto on all counts for wasps, hornets, & anything else that stings.)

P.S. That's one big ass-load of bees...maybe you should use/check your grill a little more often?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote