The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-19-2001, 10:01 PM   #31
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Feh feh feh.

Tomorrow is my birfday, and I'll be 38. And all these purty little blonde actresses seem like nothing but silly exuberance. When they reach a certain age, they disappear and are replaced by whatever clone of them is considered fasionably good looking at the time. It is extremely rare for any of them to have a career longer than 10 years.

Where is Dana Delany? Helen Slater? Jennifer Beals? Phoebe Cates? All would have been "A" listed 10-15 years ago...
Dana Delany is in "Philly" (destined not to make it to a second season, I'm betting), and if the huge pictures of her on the SEPTA buses were any indication, she's still pretty cute.

Helen Slater is doing movies no one ever heard of, and I couldn't find any recent pictures.

Same story for Beals and Cates, though I never found either that attractive to begin with.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 07:01 PM   #32
Griff
still says videotape

I'm pretty sure I saw Cates guest on CSI last season.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 10:12 PM   #33
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well she's married to that Kevin Kline. But that's not the point!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 06:55 AM   #34
lisa
Etherial

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Tomorrow is my birfday, and I'll be 38. And all these purty little blonde actresses seem like nothing but silly exuberance. When they reach a certain age, they disappear and are replaced by whatever clone of them is considered fasionably good looking at the time. It is extremely rare for any of them to have a career longer than 10 years.
Saw the last post and realized I'd missed Tony's becuase I don't really have much interest in "rating women". So, I went back and found the above.

Anyhow, Happy Birthday, Tony! I didn't know it was coming or I'd have mentioned it on my last visit!

As for the other comment, as warch said, bravo! It's good to see a guy noticing that and saying it aloud.

I often thought about what it must be like for a young woman actor. Knowing (if she sees reality) that even if she "makes it" she won't last nearly as long as her male counterparts. Now, not that I think it's litigatable (is that a word?), it is IMHO, a form of discrimination.

I sat one day and thought about many "big stars" that I remember who had effectivly disappeared: Kim Bassanger, Kelly McGillis, etc, etc. It seems that there are very few women who last very long in the movie industry. Oh, there are a few, but look at the alternative.

Arnold, Travolta, Connery, Eastwood, Michael Douglas, Richard Dreyfuss.... I could go on... Men whose "star" status has lasted 20 years or more.

I suppose it's just the age-old story of our values in society -- to many, only young women are attractive, while men are sometimes more admired with age until some limit, of course. But that limit is much higher for men than women.

I don't know why I'm ranting about this... I suppose it just struck a nerve given my age.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 07:23 AM   #35
dave

i like older women. i think that there are *many* older women that are exceptionally attractive. and i don't rule anyone out based on age (unless they're 14!). it just so happens that *my* ideal is 19... but age really has nothing to do with it... i'm friends with quite a few "older" women - from 26 up to 45...

btw, i think julia roberts will probably last at least another 5 years... maybe 10... who knows... and she's been around 10 already... meg ryan is also still pretty popular...
Old 11-21-2001, 09:35 AM   #36
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well that'll change.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:05 AM   #37
warch
lurkin old school

Hey Lisa,
Travolta is an interesing case,because as he aged, he did effectively disappear and was perceived as just a pretty boy. With Tarantino's help he broke back in with a character role and has managed to jockey back to leading man.

There are some women working at it. Ones who I think will stick around: Holly Hunter, Susan Sarandon...
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 11:24 AM   #38
dave

john travolta is a very mislead (or evil) man.
Old 11-21-2001, 12:14 PM   #39
warch
lurkin old school

very mislead!

I forgot he was into Scientology! Poor Vinny.
Years ago I had a strange experience in Oslo with some Scientology "personality researchers". Through an elaborate experiment involving soup cans and telephone wire, they found me to be "too critical". and L Ron could help with that. Trouble was, I argued that being critical was not only a good thing but essential. They revealed themselves to be not only stupid but evil, trying to con me into buying a lovely volume on dianetics by telling me that my companion (who was separated from me) wanted to buy it but didnt have enough $. No way you piranhas.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 07:21 AM   #40
Griff
still says videotape

Saw a trailer for some new Tom Cruise movie where he's hooked up with Penelope Cruz and Cameron Diaz, it goes on and on. My sister-in-law is a struggling stage actor in LA and not getting any younger. I wonder if the bias crosses into the "legitamite" theatre?
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 07:18 PM   #41
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
Dana Delany is in "Philly" (destined not to make it to a second season, I'm betting), and if the huge pictures of her on the SEPTA buses were any indication, she's still pretty cute.
Wrong Delany. Dana Delany is on the show "Pasadena." I'm not sure what network it is on (I want to say Fox or the WB), but last I saw, it was tanking.

Kim Delaney (ex-NYPD Blue) is the star of "Philly." It did not start well, but I think it has promise.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 10:27 PM   #42
lisa
Etherial

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Kim Delaney (ex-NYPD Blue) is the star of "Philly." It did not start well, but I think it has promise.
Yeah, it's been starting to grow on me. But I still prefer "The Practice."
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 10:33 AM   #43
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Re: Explain Yourself!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubris Boy
Some are just plain mysterious. What are we to make of Warch, for instance? Or Slight? Chewbaccus? Scopulus Argentarius? The ubiquitous Sycamore? And a bunch more too numerous to list here.
Wow...I made the top 5. I feel...wait hang on. It's not despair, not really shame...more the opposite of that...WAIT, I know! It's pride! I read about it before, but damn... I mean, this feels pretty good.

Anyhow, "Chewbaccus" has a good history behind it.

In the beginning, there was a website, ({shamelessplug}www.worldwidewop.net{/shamelessplug}) conceived by the body known only as THE TRIAD. When the site came into being, it was determined among Them that Their names would be revealed to the general populace. Therefore, They decided to choose names that were ancient, Greco- and/or Roman-sounding, and thus, impressive.

However, peace was only to reign for a short time. For one of Them modeled His name after what the other two of THE TRIAD called Him personally. Whence He found out what the significance of that which the other two of THE TRIAD called Him, a name change for the mortals was deemed necessary. So, this member of THE TRIAD went into hiding and pondered upon a new name suitable for the masses to embrace. After many movements of the sun, He decided to merge two of His favorite fictional characters into one, allowing the people to acknowledge him as "CHEWBACCUS MAXIMUS".

And for shits and giggles (and to save space), chopped it down to "Chewbaccus" and made it the handle you have come to know and, apparently, puzzle over. The end.

All-knowingly,

~Mike
Old 11-26-2001, 07:18 PM   #44
meph
Aggregate Aggravator

Re: misc

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
First, Happy Birthday Tony. I'm not too far behind you. (Dec 19)

Second, perfect woman... mine is Cassandra Peterson, better known to you lesser folks as Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. But then, I'm weird.

Lastly, I have to agree with UT, most actresses don't last and tend to be faddish. Few make it more than a decade.

Brian
I'm back. At least those from the KAOS days would recall my handle here. Yep, it's the guy who brought the 'DIE LAMERZ!!!' banners for the Reading Terminal meets. I was also known as Chowderhead #1. The current name was my original one at KAOS and IAI. I decided to use it strictly as a last minute decision. At the time there was a chess playing computer called 'Mephisto' and I was tempted to use that, I used the shorter version of 'meph' only because it seemed too egotistical to use the full version. I later became CH#1 only after a humorous rant by Rev. P-K (AKA Brian Siano). I popped in a few years back when I was living in San Diego, I'm back in Dallas now. No, not the Dallas, PA prison.... Dallas, TX. [slap] Yes dear, I'll get back on topic.
Color me weirder but I've always thought Teri Garr a little more to the attainable perfect woman though I always had a hankering for Stella from Saturday Night Dead. (There's an oldie for you trivia buffs. What station did she appear on?) She ripped off Elvira but most Philly-area people never knew who she was until after Stella got canned.

Elvira still does gigs on the Left Coast. I caught her in civvies at a California Guitar Trio gig a year or so ago in SD. She's pretty cool in real life when I met her. No airs, just real nice to everyone. You wouldn't know she was there except that someone pointed her out to me.
[back to pointless bantering]

I now hit usenet as Cujo. That's from post-KAOS times when I got the nickname at rib-eating contests at the Reading Terminal Market. I'll be bouncing in and out of here as the mood suits me. Glad to see the place is still together.
Kevin.
meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 08:31 PM   #45
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

DAMN, dude! Welcome! Talk about goin' back... how'd you even think to check the address?