The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And Jo Jo Gunne.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #47
Stevonez
conformity is deformity

I think I was 6 or 7 and my folks took me to see Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn...

I don't remember getting in trouble so I must have enjoyed it...
Stevonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:31 AM   #48
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Am I the only one who finds it frightening that (1) anyone would book Yes and Framptom together, and (2) that Yes would be the opener?
How in the world could anyone have headlined him over Yes?
At the Hershey show they booked a hard rock band named "Kix" I think it was, as the lead-in before YES and the lead guitarist was so wasted he couldn't even play and he had track marks all over his arm - it was bizarre - who puts these bands together anyway??? Just another question from the man with no answers. . . . .
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:42 AM   #49
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Kix was probably booked because, like Yes, they were also on Atlantic, and they were popular in central PA and I think, Baltimore. Back in the day it was possible for an act to be regional, because radio wasn't all networked to hell and back. Kix got an unearned cult following and would sell 100,000 albums every year for a decade.

And I heard, no lie, that Kix lead singer is now a billboard painter.

At the time, Central PA had a mini-scene of hair metal with band names all with misspellings. One band actually made it out to the rest of the country: Poison. (I'm so very sorry. I tried to change things but my efforts were meaningless.)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:54 AM   #50
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I apparently destroyed some metal band's burgeoning carreer by admitting their lead singer for treatment following a heroin overdose the day before the band was to begin production on their first video for MTV. Their agent, and then a guy from the record company (major label) kept calling begging that he be released, just for the two days they needed him, and then they promised to bring him back.

This was some time ago, back when MTV still played videos.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #51
chainsaw
Wingnahningning... Er somethin'

My mom took me to see Cheap Trick for my 8th grade graduation. Must have been 89 or 90. We had pit tickets at Universal Amp. From then on, if I couldn't touch the stage at a concert, I was unhappy. I could have probably bought a small country with all the money I've spent on concerts.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:16 PM   #52
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think I saw Cheap Trick as the opening act for REO Speedwagon during the Wheels are Turning tour ... 1984. Oh. Which reminds me of the lamest concert I ever went to. Gotta find that other thread.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 03-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #53
jinx
Come on, cat.

Reo Speedwagon.... oh man, that woulda been cool...

My first by choice was Grateful Dead, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, 6/27/85.
I'd seen Tammy Wynette (there's a pic of me on her lap around here somewhere), George Jones, Hank Williams Jr, Kenny Rogers etc.. with my parents - and James Taylor and Scandal with my sister, before I had a choice.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:45 PM   #54
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I also saw REO on their Greatest Hits tour at the Valley Forge Music Fair. My seats were very close to the stage because my friend knew someone that worked for the music fair and got Inner Circle tickets. I found myself wondering if performers there ever got motion sickness.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:17 PM   #55
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Answering original thread question: It was supposed to be KISS but my mom wouldn't let me go with my big bro (he was trouble, at the time. haha!). It wound up being Hall and Oates for the H2O tour, at Forest Hills Stadium, NY.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #56
Guyute
Gamehenge

Platinum Blonde. Seriously.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #57
NoBarkDawg
I probably have to pee

Evanescence, backstage. Wasn't the greatest, but I like Ms. Lee's taste in fashion.
NoBarkDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:29 AM   #58
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

In Dana Point (when I was much younger and still lived in SoCal), a Beach Boys tribute band called Longboard.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #59
Cheyenne
Operations Operative

I was born and raised in Reno NV, so I saw many floor shows before I ever saw an actual concert. I can not really remember the 1st concert, if I were to guess it was prolly J. Geils Band. I got an awesome photo from that concert. If I had a scanner I would upload it, but it would have some obnoxious writing over the top to protect it. :p
Perhaps i will gather all my best work and go to the local drug store and have them transferred to a disk. *needs to get with the times*

My 1st floor show was Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. My fav floor show was Sammy Davis Jr.

My fav cabaret was always BB King. The Man is awesome!
Old 04-24-2006, 07:40 AM   #60
TiddyBaby
The internet's like a bra, underneath ya find a boob or two

Mom took to me see Elvis when he did the Louisiana Hayride tour/shows, but I was only about 3 or 4yr old... don't remember.

When I was mid-teens or I saw the Beach Boys in concert in Dallas, when they came out with "Good Vibrations" That one I remember.

After the 70s beget... I saw many multiple concert/showcases rock-jazz-blues.

(some of those I remember) My faves were Miles Davis, Blood Sweat and Tears, Nina Simone, Herbie Hancock, ZZ Top (but no one new them, they had no albums out yet), and the phenomenal Chase, (died in air crash) ... a four trumpet rock band and all could scream into the stratosphere like Maynard Ferguson.

Other than them, use to skip school to drive the Denton, TX to sneak shows of North Texas State University 1 O'clock Lab Band
TiddyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote