The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-01-2004, 05:22 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
And the uh... retribution suggestions... are appreciated...
Huh??
Old 06-01-2004, 05:35 PM   #17
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Posted by Steve Dallas:
(I read the subject and thought they had pulled some kind of fast one on you, and you were looking for revenge suggestions..... never mind............)

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:44 PM   #18
Elionwyr
Coronation Incarnate

yayayayayayayayayayay!

Mega congrats and making much with the whooping!!
Elionwyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:00 AM   #19
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
Oh nono NO! For evah.
Spectacular!
Old 06-02-2004, 01:15 PM   #20
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

The first two snags have hit.

(1) My ex called and bitched at my mother (who lives in California, literally across the country). All she says is that he expressed annoyance that I sprung this on him. He told her he had plans to "allow" Justin (the 16 years old) to work, and he was going to open a bank account. That all their stuff was already unpacked. That Piglet (my daughter, who is staying with him) is going to be hysterical on the way home from New Orleans. He thought this was all going to happen in July, so he planned for that. Now here I am, fucking up his plans.

Well guess what? Justin can get a job here and open a bank account here. And Piglet is going to be hysterical regardless of when the transfer takes place. He was the one that wanted me to take them in May, and I didn't want them until August, but he said no, sooner is better, so they can acclimate before school. So I bust my ass and use part of my vacation money (so much for the plantation tour!) to buy the tickets for them to come home, to save him time, money, leave, and another trip 3 hours to the same airport in August. But no. I'm fucking up HIS plans. Why he called and bitched at my mother I don't know. Like she can do anything.

(2)Yesterday, I emailed the following to my sup and the ops manager:

Quote:
I was advised today that I am getting my two sons, aged 16 and 11, returned to my custody on June 14th. One has ADHD and the other is Autistic, so there is a need for me to be at home with them in the evenings as much as possible, and once school starts to be able to get my son to school in the mornings. My husband works nights at a temporary job, so his employer is not flexible with his schedule.

Therefore, starting June 16th (my date to return to work after my vacation), I would like to request a shift change to a daytime shift. I prefer something 9am to 6pm Monday - Friday, optimally, but I understand the need for flexibility on the team, so I will take anything on the day shift side, and will accept split days off if necessary.

It has been necessary in the past, with previous employers, that I obtain a statement from my children’s psychologists and pediatricians, stating the need for my presence at home is a necessity. (Jerry remembers the notes I had to get for Sitel.) If necessary, I will obtain such documentation again.

I am sending out an email to the HSI team to see if a daytime employee would like to swap shifts with me, to minimize disruption to the call volume, but as that has a low possibility of success, please give this matter your urgent attention.
I then emailed all my coworkers, and asked if anyone wanted to swap shifts, so I can work during the day and be home with my kids at night. Steve is working through Manpower, so he has no leverage to change his shift. He applied for Dept. of Corrections, and if he gets that, he doesn't get to pick his shift, and likely will be working 12s anyway, with lots of OT. So I have to change my shift. None of my coworkers responded.

Today I got the email that said, in effect, Sorry, no. If we make adjustments for you, we have to make adjustments for everyone.

There are two new people being hired in for my department. If one of them works days, I'm going to shit a brick.

There is little I can do but quit. And until Steve get's this DoC job, I can't quit. I still have my Dell to pay off with the Company, and then my 401(k) is ..what? Gone? So I'm screwed. I have to choose between being with my kids and manning the phones, a body on the floor, at my job.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-02-2004, 01:25 PM   #21
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

sorry to hear about the bumps in the road, and good luck with the shift change. as for your 401, it is your money, and any pre termination deposits will continue to grow or lose just like people that work there still. you can flip it into your new employer's account if/when that happens. but be positive.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:26 PM   #22
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Any money that you have paid into your 401(k) remains in it. You can just let it sit and ignore it.

You'd have to check about the employer match.

If you go to another company that has a 401(k) you can "roll over" the funds from this one into that. If you just withdraw the money you have to pay taxes and penalties on it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:28 PM   #23
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

beat ya.......you're getting slow from all of that microwave cooking
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:33 PM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I was writing an email and having an IM conversation at the same time.

Slacker.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:38 PM   #25
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
sorry to hear about the bumps in the road, and good luck with the shift change.
The shift change is not going to happen. They already told me that.

Quote:
The call center in Las Vegas was much different, as you know. That center had 4 times the number of employees and a much broader range of shifts. We do not currently have the flexibility to move you off of the evening shift, and if we did have that need the shift would be offered out in a shift bid process. I can not accommodate your request for a shift change unless you can find another employee who is willing to swap with you. We have many other employees with child care issues, for whom we do not make accommodations.

I apologize that I have to be the bearer of bad news for you, and hope you understand my position on this.
Fuck you very much.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-02-2004, 04:13 PM   #26
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

So I'm coming back from lunch (my desk is right next to the ops manager's) and he's giving the "day off request" forms back to the reps who applied for days off....he says to me, "So are you ok?" I said, "Well, I can't change it, so not being ok doesn't do me any good." He made a weird face and walked off.

Whatever. I formally don't give a shit about this place any more.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-02-2004, 04:53 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'd talk to a lawyer, maybe legal aid. There are a shitload of federal laws on the books that affect employers accommodating employees with family problems. Not sure if there's one that would affect you but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:59 PM   #28
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
sorry to hear about the bumps in the road, and good luck with the shift change. as for your 401, it is your money, and any pre termination deposits will continue to grow or lose just like people that work there still. you can flip it into your new employer's account if/when that happens. but be positive.
i really hope it all works out well for you. i know this isn't the main point of the thread, but if you do leave, roll the 401k into an IRA - it gives more selection and freedom with your investments and there is no penalty for that.

(not to start the portfolio 101 thread all over again.)
Old 06-02-2004, 06:42 PM   #29
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
Oh nono NO! For evah. **big cheesy grin** My daughter will remain with the ex, but I'm gettin my boyz back fuh good!!

And the uh... retribution suggestions... are appreciated...
Wait I must have missed something...you lost custody?

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:03 PM   #30
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I gave my boyz to my ex while I moved and get my shit together (and paid child support). We agreed I'd be getting them back before the school year started, he wanted me to take them back in May, I was hoping for August (since we're moving August 1 and I didn't want the boys to endure his move in May and my move in August.)

I never have had Piglet, except before the divorce.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt