The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 11-10-2007, 05:51 PM   #16
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

I don't think the inventory thing is a bad idea at all. I do a short form of it sometimes, myself. I'll take a look at everything we have in the freezer, fridge, and pantry, and if we have a surplus of stuff I'll put it on the DNB (Do Not Buy!) list. Then, when we go shopping, it serves as a reminder NOT to buy another carton of eggs when I already have two dozen at home. When stuff is finally used up, it gets taken off the DNB list, and we're allowed to buy it again.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #17
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

When I defrost the freezer I wrap everything in a sleeping bag and a couple of blankets and them jam it in a laundry basket (to make sure it doesn't unfurl) and put it in the coolest room in the house. This'll give you a good two-three hours to defrost the freezer.
We're not dead yet ...
Old 11-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #18
monster
I hear them call the tide

Chicken is currently on my DNB list (I got in trouble....too much chicken -we have a new fridge freezer in the kitchen, but I went shopping in the middle of changeover, so we haven't actually managed to empty the old one yet, so it's in the middle of the floor pluggesd into an extension cable....---containing all sorts of mysttery items---)
Old 11-11-2007, 04:52 AM   #19
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Okay, I've made a start.
Back here to post the first pics and because I'll miss the 2 minutes silence if I go into cleaning mode.

Ahem, the duplications are mostly mine - naan breads and chicken. To be fair to myself they take up very little room. HM does have some duplication although as a man who will never knowingly walk past a bargain I suspect they were Buy One Get One Free - breaded chicken and fish. And they come in boxes so they take up more room.

Still, just getting rid of the ice should mean it all fits in, neat and tidy.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It's hard to take a picture of a defrosted freezer.
In the end I decided to stop faffing about and get the food back in there.

It's still very well packed, I'm going to tackle HM about using the boxed food as a priority.

I've emptied and cleaned out all the bins, cleaned the bathroom including a good scrub at the limescale in the toilet, cleaned the kicthen floor and surfaces and the cats' litter tray. Oh and emptied HM's washing and put on an airer (given how much he puts in a wash this is a significant job!)

The place does look like I've done some work, I just hope the freezer stops beeping before HM comes home, otherwise his first question before he's even taken his shoes off will be, "What's that beeping noise, is the freezer open?" and that would spoil it!
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #21
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I'm knackered just reading about what you've achieved SG! WTG!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #22
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Well, he hasn't said anything.
I don't know if it's because he hasn't noticed or doesn't think it is worth commenting on.

And he's running a bath now, so the room will have been clean for approx 1 hour
And because he's having a bath I also lose the computer.
Never mind - I know I worked hard, and I'll just go to the gym to complete my sense of achievement.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:57 AM   #23
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Guys don't always say anything but I'm sure he is appreciative!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #24
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
And because he's having a bath I also lose the computer.
????

I'm unable to follow the connection here.
Is the comp in the bathroom? Does he like to surf and soap? Are you obliged to stand sentry outside the door with fresh warm towels?

Enjoy your sense of achievement, that you will feel next time you open the freezer. Cleaning your home is a good step in self-empowerment, acting against the entropy that is taking over.

I thought he should at least notice. Still, he seems pretty nice in most ways.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #25
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Actually he didn't take it as he wants to listen to a match and he can do that on the radio. I use his laptop to log on, and yes he usually takes it into the bathroom with him. Mostly to listen to the radio (especially comedy on Radio 4)

I was a little disappointed, but in truth I am proud of what I did and I agree I can enjoy the benefits without any kind of commendation. Except Dylan took advantage of the clean litter tray about 10 minutes ago to lay the most fearsome log I've ever smelt. I think it has damaged my sinuses.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #26
hampor
Colloquialist

Rotation is a godd idea too

Put a check mark on each thing in the freezer.

Six months from now, anything without a check mark goes to the bottom of the pile.
hampor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:41 PM   #27
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

That is totally awesome SG! I'm a little late coming in here, but I wanted to comment too. Defrosting a freezer is really hard work, and even if he didn't say anything, I am sure he appreciates it.
I don't think you are being too anal... I try not to buy too many frozen items just for the simple fact that they get freezer burn pretty easy, and the more stuff in the freezer the quicker the ice builds up and it needs defrosting again. I need to do some major cleaning around our apartment too... I just can't seem to work up the motivation. Maybe I will now. I always feel content after cleaning.

I also wanted to say that although I didn't post about your losing weight (at least I can't remember if I did) I wanted to say that I can see a difference, and you are doing a great job. Not all of us are as fit as jinx and labrat and all the others, but we are all beautiful in our own way. You are a good motivator for me too... I need to get up off my butt and exercise on a regular basis as well. It is really depressing to know that I am classified as obese because of my weight. But keep up the good work! I'll be cheering for you!