The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 03-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #91
marichiko

Now I begin to understand why I see truckers ditched in some of the oddest pullouts I've ever driven past. There's an exit off I-70 maybe 20 miles or so over the Colorado border into Utah. There's nothing at that exit except a wide pull around spot, and a dirt road that leads out to the Book Cliffs. I went camping out there once and was puzzled to see 6 or 7 semi's parked along the edges of the pull around. "What on earth?" I wondered. I guess their computers got them and that exit has become known as a good spot to pull your truck off the road for a while.

BTW, my Exploder broke down about 15 miles up that dirt road which has many twists and side trails brancing off it. I had driven up it in the dark, late at night and was exhausted and just crawled into the back of the Explorer in my sleeping bag to get some sleep. In the morning my battery was dead. I didn't have a map on me and I was unsure of how to reconstruct the route I had taken in the dark to get there. I knew that at night I would be able to catch glimpses of light on the distant interstate to help me keep my bearings, so I waited all day until dusk, made myself a thermos of coffee over my campfire, put several candy bars in my pocket, and began the 15 mile walk toward the Interstate to get help. It was late November and very cold. I made the Interstate around 2:00am, but I had arrived at a spot that was east of my original exit, since I was going on foot, cross country.

I must have stood on that freezing cold Interstate for 45 minutes in the dark before , finally, a truck pulled over to the side and stopped. The trucker inside was busily scribbling something in his logbook (I guess he didn't have a computer yet - this was 7 years ago). I ran up and tapped on his window and he glanced at me in surprise and rolled the window down. I told him of my plight and asked for a ride to the next spot where there was something open 24 hours and that had a phone. He told me that he wasn't allowed to take on passengers, and was going to call back to headquarters for permission, and then stopped and said, "Oh, just get on in. The hell with the main office."

He told me that he made a run from Salt Lake to Denver on a regular basis and that his usual habit was to stop at the Green River exit some 40 miles back to go over his paperwork and make sure everything was in order for when he crossed the Colorado State line. He said that that night for some reason, he had forgotten to make his usual stop in Green River and had only remembered when he got to the exit sign that I had been standing next to. He hadn't even seen me in the dark, so he was quite surprised when I tapped on his window.

I told him that the angels must have sent him that night, and he laughed and said, "No, just the Russian government." Turned out he had fled the Soviet regime about 15 years before, been granted entry into the US, learned English, got his CDC and had been driving his truck on I 70 every since. "I love it!" he said. "There's no comparison between my life as it was back home and the way it is now."

He drove me all the way into Grand Junction and let me off at a huge all night truck stop with a warm restaurant and phones. I shook his hand and thanked him and expressed concern that he might get in trouble with the main office for picking up a hitch hiker. He grinned and said, "If I can outwit the communist government, I can outwit headquarters. Don't worry"

Then he drove off into the night and I never even got his name.

I got your message about the weather, Brian. Standing by!

Last edited by marichiko; 03-26-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:28 AM   #92
farfromhome
Management Consultant

When I crossed the country three years ago I should have gotten gas in Grand Junction. I didn't realize the remote desert I was headed into. I think I was probably somewhere near where Marchiko was when by pure luck I drifted into the only gas statin within a hundred miles. I laughed when I saw the price. If I remember right it was around $2.30? gal. It was at least .50 cents more / gal. than anywhere else. The first time I'd paid more than $2.00. And I was so grateful.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:19 PM   #93
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Change two

I have swapped trailers with another driver, who wanted to "go home", whatever that means. The upshot of this is that I will NOT be going through Colorado Springs as planned (sorry Mari) but heading to Sacramento. Rock Steady? PM me contact info and let's see what happens. Should be there the day after tomorrow or so. Anyone else?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:39 AM   #94
BrianR

Sorry, I didn't stick around Sacramento long enough to meet anyone. I needed to get my next load before the place closed and get away before the rush hit or I would have had to sit until after.

Next up, Albe...albuker....the capitol of New Mexico.

I'll be rolling east along I40 if there is anyone in Arizona too.

Brian
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:20 AM   #95
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Just say the place where Bugs should have taken a left turn. Everybody will know where you mean.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:19 PM   #96
BrianR

Rancho Cucamonga is in California, Wolf.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:10 PM   #97
wolf
lobber of scimitars

ahem.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 03-30-2006 at 10:21 PM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:31 PM   #98
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR
I have swapped trailers with another driver, who wanted to "go home", whatever that means. The upshot of this is that I will NOT be going through Colorado Springs as planned (sorry Mari) but heading to Sacramento. Rock Steady? PM me contact info and let's see what happens. Should be there the day after tomorrow or so. Anyone else?
Sorry I missed this earlier. Busy with work, first product release.

I'm also sorry I missed you in Pleasonton, 30 miles away. Sacto is 120 miles and I can't take that kind of time away right now.

Keep on truckin'
Old 03-31-2006, 01:47 PM   #99
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

how about Houston Brian? you can have a beer or two with me and watch NBN make a freak out of himself. errrrr i mean be himself!
Old 03-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #100
BrianR

Sorry Wolf. I must have been thinking of another episode or something. I'll take the hit for a goof.

Plthijinx, been there, been through there, will be back there. Remain in holding pattern until approach contacts you.

Brian
Old 03-31-2006, 08:16 PM   #101
monster
I hear them call the tide

Interesting thread. could you use those Frappr maps to track your progress?

Perhaps we should contact NORAD to see if they'll do a "NORAD tracks Brian" -far more interesting than that predictable dude in the sleigh they follow at Christmas....
Old 03-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #102
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Yeh , I was thinking about a thread called " where in the US is BrianR " he could post a random pic and have us guess .
Sound like fun Brian ??
Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 PM   #103
monster

We could have a weekly sweepstake -pay your money and pick a square on the map. Whoever has where Brian is at midday on Saturday wins. (Cellar would have to take a cut for running costs, of course....)
Old 03-31-2006, 08:54 PM   #104
monster

Has anyone met Brian yet? Does he really exist? Is there a reward for an authentic picture of the B-man?

/it's been a long, hard week, humour me......
Old 03-31-2006, 09:01 PM   #105
BrianR

I've been met, yes. Pictures exist, but only because I don't know about them.

Next up: LA.

Any takers for April 3?