The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-09-2001, 10:26 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

7/9: Unique ATV [thx Tove]

Slithy Tove brings us this item on Ebay, which you have a day left to bid on. The reserve of $155,000 might keep the less moneyed of us from bidding on it, though.

It's called the "Dobberton Surface Orbiter". Built over 4 1/2 years, with a stainless steel hull, it goes across both land and sea. No word on whether it's diesel, or whether you have to know how to drive stick, or whether it's sea-worthy enough to handle any coming apocalypse you might dream up involving Kevin Costner.

It's cool, alright, but if I somehow became idly rich I doubt I'd squander anything on such playthings. If you have six figures to spend on transportation, I should think the BMW M5 or the top of the Mercedes S-class would make a better buy. Those you can park downtown without a permit. Still, to each his own.

Here's the Ebay link in case you want to see it there. (It'll time out, sorry for viewers reading this in the far future.)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 03:12 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Okay, first off...this thing is 15 years old. What about depreciation? Heh...

The largest bid (as of 4pm Eastern Time Monday) is $35,100. I just looked at the other vehicles that this company is selling...some of the prices are simply outrageous. It doesn't look like some of them have met their reserve price either.

Now, I am a car enthusiast. And I love the old-school Camaros...but there is no way in hell that I would give $60,000 for a rebuilt 1969 Camaro...I don't care if it's been rebuilt from the ground up or not...that's just not right. (And that isn't even the reserve price for the car!)

I guess it just depends on how bad you want something. The one and only time I used eBay was in early '98. Bought an import Depeche Mode CD for my ex-fiance--$52. *shakes his head*
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote