The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #46
keryx
Mrs. Fargon

Yesterday at work I learned that in the state of MS you cannot get a payment arrangement with the local phone company to pay off your past due phone bill when you already have a write off and several failed payment arrangements on your account.

I was informed of this by the rep at financial services. The customer was none too kind to me before I put her on hold to call financial services so she could be transfered to that department. Once informed, my reply to the rep was, " I will very cheerfully tell her so!"

I think I'd prefer to be in financial services, as those people seem to be able to get away with being mean to customers who are insufferable jerks.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:48 PM   #47
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I learned yesterday (I was too tired and frustrated to post at that time) that a 13 hour shift with two trainees is survivable. Not just survivable, but survivable without needing to yell or foam at the mouth.

You can express disdain a lot more effectively by speaking softly.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #48
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

speak softly and carry a big stick , I beleve the saying is , people listen when you speak softly and clearly and sysucingthly ( don't yell and don' tmince words , tell it like it IS , them shut up )

What I learned tonite , I have bee applying the 48 rules of power ( thanks Wolf ) for years ( most of them any way ) for YEARS !!!!
Here's a link , http://www2.tech.purdue.edu/cgt/cour...s_of_power.htm
Old 02-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #49
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm up to #15 in the book. I don't get as much time to read these days as I'd like. (especially when I've got a double-trainee shift. It's fucking easier to work alone, I tell you. At least shit gets done right.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 02-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #50
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I found this years ago , I have it and the art of war on my PDA , the book of five rings make more sence to me how ever , the 48 rules of power follows these principles ( mostly ) ,
Heres a link to the book of 5 rings ,
http://www.samurai.com/5rings/
Old 02-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #51
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have those on my PDA also ... along with the US Army Survival Manual.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:51 AM   #52
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I'm sure you do but just in case you'll be wanting a hard copy... although knowing you, you probably have a solar charger for your pda...nevermind.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #53
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Where do you get the US Army Survival Manual as an ebook?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #54
wolf
lobber of scimitars

iSilo, I think. Either that or I found it as a .pdf, and I have a converter for those.

And yes, I do already have a hardcopy, along with the SAS Manual and a few others.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #55
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Where do you get the US Army Survival Manual as an ebook?
http://www.equipped.com/fm21-76.htm for one

also

http://www.basegear.com/fm2176.html

There are several .mil sites that make FMs available too...

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #56
mitheral
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Seeing as how the unexamined life is not worth living, let me tell you what I learned today: I learned that there are two different sorts of rail roads in India-one is regular sized and the other is smaller, track is different. You can't use both tracks for the same locomotive. This means that at times freight (or, people) must dis-embark from one train to re-embark on another simply because the track has changed. I learned that India likes this because it creates jobs (and providing jobs is the responsibility of the government, so the more the merrier).
this isn't about make work, narrow guages are used in mountainous country because it costs much less to dig a tunnel or carve out a mountian side for the track when it is narrow plus you can make tighter turns with a narrow guage. Wide guage is used on the flat because it is much more stable and you can travel faster.
mitheral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:01 PM   #57
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

On Friday, I learned that it is impossible to communicate an important concept to someone, regardless of how intelligent and outwardly capable they may seem, which they are not sufficiently motivated to grasp. Coupled with that is the hardest lesson - never entrust someone else with something that could cost you your job if it goes awry.

I received the biggest asschewing of my two year career here on Friday (while I was home sick as hell, no less) for the failure of our office to send a daily production report to the GC on a Federal project. I had given the task to my assistant, with explicit instructions that these reports must be filed daily, *whether we worked on the project that day or not*, without fail. I have queried her several times over the weeks, only to find that she was a couple of days behind, and I told her to get caught up and stay caught up.

When the shithammer fell on me Friday, I called her and asked her WTF? Her response? "I knew that we had to have a report for every day, but I didn't know we had to send it out every day."

Utter bullshit, and my boss told me the next time it happened, my assistant and I would both be fired, because the GC threatened to throw us off of the project and claim against our bond.

Nice.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #58
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

So, Els, you gonna have that TPS report for us this afternoon?
Old 02-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #59
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Um, uh...that's my stapler...

I've got the fax machine...now I just need a ballbat.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #60
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You can use your staff if you're short on sporting equipment in the household.