The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-02-2006, 02:10 AM   #16
dov

I learnt that the hardest thing a man can do is do nothing.
I learnt that the hardest thing for a man to say is say nothing.

Typing, (or not), fits in there somewhere.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:25 AM   #17
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I learned that on a day when I don't take a lunch break, I walk 7,400 (rounded up) steps. I wasn't very happy about this, as the target amount for health is 10,000. I had assumed that walking to & from work would cover me, but it's obviously not as far as I thought.

Also that Knighton Library closes at 17.00 on Wednesdays, so I have a fine to pay on 2 DVDs. Darn.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:22 AM   #18
NotAnAngel
A Newbie..again

I learned that my mare is in fact tall enough and smart enough to remove the bottom bolt from her stable door. I also learned a 1000 sq metre patch full of broccoli costs 300 euro..............
NotAnAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:29 AM   #19
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

That's a lot of broccoli
Old 02-02-2006, 05:28 AM   #20
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Seeing as how the unexamined life is not worth living, let me tell you what I learned today: I learned that there are two different sorts of rail roads in India
I thought the two kinds of railroads in india were

1) the one where 2000 people get on a train designed for 100 and run into another one and

2) where the kind of train in example one gets onto a bridge and

2a) derails or
2b) the bridge collapses.

Since American railroads were developed while railroad passenger traffic was still profitable, they run (with few exceptions) on a standard rail gauge.

However, Amtrak has been trying to develop an American version of type 1, but their goverment subsidies are only big enough for them to develop a train designed for 2000 with 75 people on it.

As Amtrak right-of-way infrastructure deteriorates they'll be introducing a version of type 2b soon...they have prototypes already,

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:37 AM   #21
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Today I learned ...
That with the number of cars that have those remote control door opener thingies, there is bound to be some crossover...
Don't forget the military VHF radios in some US warships and aircraft that have the same effect, but operate over like a ten mile radius.

One hopes they don't test them at 2am.

http://starbulletin.com/98/07/31/news/story10.html

Of course they are the primary licencee in-band.

Come to think of it, as Amateur Radio Station K3XS I'm licenced for a primary allocation sitting right on top of frequencies used for WiFI...but at power levels comparable to the unshielded output of a microwave oven. Wheeeee!

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:02 AM   #22
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
today, i learned that brianna is feeling kooky.

given this, and some other previous facts and observations, i have decided that she may be a bit unstable at times. As i ponder this, I am also reminded that i like her, and i hope she is not on a bender.
No bender, but I do appreciate the fact that it COULD have been a bender and thanks for looking out for one as it's probably only a matter of time. I had just finished my first Statistics test and my brain hurt with all the stuff that was in there so I had to let some out!

PS-so far, I haven't learned anything today
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 02-02-2006 at 07:08 AM. Reason: to add that, so far, I haven't learned anything
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:04 AM   #23
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

.. that a cold, dark morning presents the perfect time and conditions should you wish to trip over the dog, tread on the cat's tail and spill the remains of the drink your holding all over yourself, in one seamless movement
Old 02-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #24
FallenFairy
nope

I learned that the group of software developers I work with have pretty much no idea what they are doing - no concept of life-cycle development, or CMMI Level III practices and procedures, and no real sense of humor (see in this world if you suck at what you endeavor to do you should at LEAST be able to laugh about it after the fact....)
So today I learned what it's like to work on the Island of MisFit Toys.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #25
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
today, i learned that brianna is feeling kooky.
Who's Kooky?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:35 PM   #26
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I don't know, but I'll bet she isn't asking him to lend her his comb...
Old 02-02-2006, 12:51 PM   #27
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Technically this was last night, but...I learned how to change a vacuum cleaner belt. Mine broke last week, so I took it apart, put the new one in, and put it back together. +5 points for finishing in under 20 min without directions, -12 points for buying the replacement belt at the new Wal-Mart that just was built down the road.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #28
glatt

I'm pretty cavalier about looking at the diagram as I change the vacuum cleaner belt. About half the time, the beater brush ends up spitting the dirt out in front of the vacuum cleaner after I change the belt, so I need to open it up and reverse the belt.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:28 PM   #29
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Today, I learned that it costs 14.40 to get an envelope to Cleveland by noon tomorrow.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #30
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I learned some people are so stupid you've got to wonder how their heart, lungs, etc. keep functioning.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote