The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
Nirvana
Back in 10

26 years ago I quit smoking I have nightmares where I wake up sweating because I am smoking in my dreams. Anything is better than really smoking. Try to smoke only in your dreams Classicman.

Eat apples or oranges or prunes when you want a cigarette. Walk around the block. Just don't smoke.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #17
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Once, when I was 4 months non smoking, I dreamed that I was smoking on an elevator! The shame!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
It's easier to kick heroin according to a friend who's done both and still smokes.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Only because you can buy smokes anywhere. You don't get painful diarreah and vomit for 5 days when you kick cigarettes.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
Ibby
erika

And cause most bars don't have a dozen or so people shooting up out front, etc, yeah.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #21
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Continuous exposure to tobacco: Nicotine substitutes for acetylcholine and over stimulates the nicotinic receptor. Then, the receptor is long-term inactivated and its regeneration is prevented by nicotine.
Quote:
Nicotine rises the stimulation of nicotinic receptors. The excessive and chronic activation of these receptors is balanced by a down-regulation in the number of active receptors. The reduction of the number of active receptors reduces the psychotropic effect of nicotine. Due to the phenomenon of tolerance, the smoker needs to smoke more and more cigarettes to keep a constant effect.
Nicotine activates dopamine systems within the brain. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter which is directly responsible for mediating the pleasure response. Nicotine triggers off the production of dopamine in the nucleus accumbens. A prolonged exposure of these receptors to nicotine reduces the efficiency of dopamine by cutting down the number of available receptors. Consequently, more and more nicotine is needed to give the same pleasurable effect.

After a brief period of abstinence (overnight for instance), the brain concentration of nicotine lowers and allows a part of the receptors to recover their sensibility. The return to an active state rises the neurotransmission to an abnormal rate. The smoker feels uncomfortable, which induces him to smoke again. The first cigarette of the day is the most pleasant because the sensibility of the dopamine receptors is maximal. Then, the receptors are soon desensitized and the pleasure wears off. This is the vicious circle of smoking.
Quote:
Like acetylcholine, nicotine leads to a burst of receptor activity. However, unlike acetylcholine, nicotine is not regulated by your body. While neurons typically release small amounts of acetylcholine in a regulated manner, nicotine activates cholinergic neurons (which mainly use acetylcholine to communicate to other neurons) in many different regions throughout your brain simultaneously. This stimulation leads to:

Increased release of acetylcholine from the neurons, leading to heightened activity in cholinergic pathways throughout your brain. This cholinergic activity calls your body and brain to action, and this is the wake-up call that many smokers use to re-energize themselves throughout the day. Through these pathways, nicotine improves your reaction time and your ability to pay attention, making you feel like you can work better.
Stimulation of cholinergic neurons promotes the release of the neurotransmitter dopamine in the reward pathways of your brain. This neural circuitry is supposed to reinforce behaviors that are essential to your survival, like eating when you're hungry. Stimulating neurons in these areas of the brain brings on pleasant, happy feelings that encourage you to do these things again and again. When drugs like cocaine or nicotine activate the reward pathways, it reinforces your desire to use them again because you feel so at peace and happy afterwards.
Release of glutamate, a neurotransmitter involved in learning and memory - Glutamate enhances the connections between sets of neurons. These stronger connections may be the physical basis of what we know as memory. When you use nicotine, glutamate may create a memory loop of the good feelings you get and further drive the desire to use nicotine.
Nicotine also increases the level of other neurotransmitters and chemicals that modulate how your brain works. For example, your brain makes more endorphins in response to nicotine. Endorphins are small proteins that are often called the body's natural pain killer. It turns out that the chemical structure of endorphins is very similar to that of heavy-duty synthetic painkillers like morphine. Endorphins can lead to feelings of euphoria also. If you're familiar with the runner's high that kicks in during a rigorous race, you've experienced the "endorphin rush." This outpouring of chemicals gives you a mental edge to finish the race while temporarily masking the nagging pains you might otherwise feel.
Heroin only bumps up endorphins.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #22
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Thanks all...
I'm in the avoidance phase... If it doesn't exist, I'm good.
Lets watcha movie - fuckers smoking. Meh, Lets watch some football...
My neighbor comes over after obviously just having smoked & sits next to me to watch the game. Really? REALLY?
Luv ya bud, but you gotta GTFO. I can't handle it right now. He left. That was awkward. Oh well.

Oh, and those electric whatever fake cigarettes.... WORST THINGS EVER.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #23
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Carrot sticks?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #24
classicman

Yuppers, by the dozens. I find myself craving salty snacks too.
I got some veggie sticks. Those are nice as well. Sunflower seeds and mints. All that seems to help keep the oral fixation at bay without being too unhealthy.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #25
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

teh smoking IS a bitch; that's the one thing I never got hooked on...everything else, from shopping to demerol-yes. Oh, gambling. I'm AFRAID I'll get hooked so I don't buy those scratch off cards.

It's funny classic----you notice cigs all around you- I notice drinking. Watch one episode of BBT and see how much they drink. It's almost in every scene. It's also put forward as a panacea to every problem; even Raj's problem talking with girls. Penney uses it nearly constantly at work and home. People BOND over alcohol, become friends, intimate, funny, etc. that's the message. I wonder what heroin's message would be? hey, you'll sleep really great for about 15 hours and then wake up having shat your pants and wanting to throw up!! meh. I'm just pissed off because AA isn't working and cannot envision a future and I'm lonely.

so. sorry to hijack your thread
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #26
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I never got addicted to cigarettes. Lucky I suppose.
I can have one or two if I'm offered, but no worries, no craving afterwards. I can happily go outside to get fresh air with someone who wants to smoke and not be tempted to have one.

But I dream about drink all the time now.
The dreams are shameful.
I am drinking neat spirits in a car at lunchtime with a colleague, worrying if I am safe to go back into school.
I am drunk at a family funeral and slurring my words as I give a eulogy.
I am having a bit of a session in a pub and the fire alarm goes off and I remember I am responsible for my class but I can't find them all because I am drunk.

And so on.

Addiction, whether medical or psychological is hard to break. Because your brain - the very organ who thinks for you, colludes against you.

Last edited by Sundae; 01-13-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Of to If
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I never got addicted to cigarettes. Lucky I suppose.
I can have one or two if I'm offered, but no worries, no craving afterwards. I can happily go outside to get fresh air with someone who wants to smoke and not be tempted to have one.

But I dream about drink all the time now.
The dreams are shameful.
I am drinking neat spirits in a car at lunchtime with a colleague, worrying of I am safe to go back into school.
I am drunk at a family funeral and slurring my words as I give a eulogy.
I am having a bit of a session in a pub and the fire alarm goes off and I remember I am responsible for my class but I can't find them all because I am drunk.

And so on.

Addiction, whether medical or psychological is hard to break. Because your brain - the very organ who thinks for you, colludes against you.
that's the rub. your actual brain, your OWN brain, is trying to kill you.

No one understands that except those of us afflicted---and not always then, either.

Sundae---I have those drinking/using dreams too. It's normal. it really, really, really is normal to have those dreams.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #28
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Trill, I am seriously wondering what we here can do to help you. Your posts here and on fb are becoming very worrying. I use the term becoming very loosely. They've been worrying for weeks now.

Your desperation is clearly evident.

What can we do?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #29
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
so. sorry to hijack your thread
Sorry, my bad...