The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

IT job in Philly

Since many members are in this 'hood, I thought I would post this open position at The Academy of Natural Sciences:

Biodiversity Information Manager

(Position Announcement # 938)

Issue Date: October 12, 2006
Closing Date: Open Until Filled

The Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia seeks an administrator for the databases of its specimen collections who can develop database-driven desktop and web applications. The collections encompass 17 million specimens in areas spanning botany, entomology, herpetology, ichthyology, malacology, mammalogy, ornithology, paleontology and general invertebrates. The databases hold more than 1 million records in several platforms. More information about science at the Academy is available at www.ansp.org/research/biodiv.

The information manager will be responsible for maintaining the integrity of the databases, and will work closely with curatorial staff to develop informatics tools for efficient capture of biodiversity data and images, quality control, data visualization and analysis, GIS, web-based data access, and internet collaboration. Duties will include development of information models, database documentation, information security, code, user interfaces, quality control, and database life cycle management. Other duties will include assisting collections and research staff in developing informatics support sections of grant proposals. Good communication skills are essential. There is the possibility of some time for independent research in biodiversity informatics depending on qualifications.

Requirements:
Degree in biology (with strong computer programming/database skills) or a degree in computer science (with extensive knowledge of biology). Experience with web-database programming in a LAMP environmental (Linux, Apache, MySQL or PostgreSQL, PHP) and with MS Access and Visual Basic.

Desirable:
Advanced degree (Master's or Ph.D.); experience with biodiversity databases; experience with some of the following: Linux/Unix system administration; Perl or Bash scripting; FileMaker Pro; qmail/ezmlm; ImageMagick; MapServer; DiGIR/TAPIR.

Salary is commensurate with experience. The position is available immediately. The Academy of Natural Sciences offers a competitive benefits package.

To Apply:
Send resume, statement of interest, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of three references to:

Maria Eife, Asst. Office Manager
Announcement: Biodiversity Information Manager #938
The Academy of Natural Sciences
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19103-1195
eife@ansp.org

http://clade.acnatsci.org/lundberg/
http://catfishbone.acnatsci.org/
http://silurus.acnatsci.org/
Old 11-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Damn... I have the tech side, but my only bio experience is that I hung out with the pre-meds at college.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Not necessarily. Can't you cite the IOTD Animal/Eat 'Em threads?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Doesn't hurt to apply, UT! Sounds like they need more of a computer guy anyway.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:05 PM   #5
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

I'm always bemused by the emphasis and weighting that Academic employers place on formal qulifications.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Has to do with grant status, usually.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I hate playing games, so I take all employer qualification statements literally, in a sort of Flint-like way. They must *need* someone with an extensive knowledge of biology. They said so right there. They must not want candidates without an extensive knowledge of biology.

I'm not going to interview for a position and have them want me to explain the whole species classification hierarchy and which parts of it point to obvious methods of database normalization off the top of my head. It's hard enough to fake it in the areas that I *am* an expert in.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

They think they need someone with a lot of biology. They probably don't--the "best" person for the job--for this job or any job--may or may not have a specific bag o' skills.

The problem is, people like to hire bags o' skills. It's easy to evaluate on paper. It's easy to defend the decision later when the bag o' skills turns out to be an axe murderer or a lush or just a general fuckup. It's hard to try to figure out who's really going to fit in and come kick some ass on behalf of your organization, so most people don't bother.

Bottom line: if I had the technical skills for this (I don't--I'm not a programmer) I, like UT, wouldn't bother to apply. They put that biology degree first on the list of qualifications--before any technical qualification--and that says to me that nobody without it will be interviewed. Maybe they will dig a little deeper if they don't get a hire out of their first round of interviews.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The man/woman they want doesn't exist. If they did, they could do a lot better than that job...they might even become a blogger.

The biology shit they outlined, plus the degrees, would qualify that person for a full professorship or plenty of research grants. Why would that person want to be their Biodiversity Information Manager cum IT guru/programmer?

Sounds to me like the information is already in disparate data bases and they want it available easily....all of it. This is an IT job, pure and simple.

That said, it sounds like they would want you're home number and your cell number. A full time plus, kind of job.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
Flint
Snowflake

WWFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I hate playing games, so I take all employer qualification statements literally, in a sort of Flint-like way.
Ironic. I work a job for which I have all the computer skills they didn't know they needed, and none of the extraneous experience that they thought would be relevant to the position, but really isn't. I think of the qualifications employers ask for as more of a wish-list, because the person they are describing is sometimes an impossible superman.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Exactly, Flint. It's an asking price. If they ever do find someone with the specified skills set, I bet they can't afford him/her.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet they end up with a computer geek with just enough biology to understand the domain when it's explained to him/her.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Damn... I have the tech side, but my only bio experience is that I hung out with the pre-meds at college.
[nudge nudge]You've been with a couple women, how much more experience do they want?[/wink wink]