The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Further Pussificatory rhetoric...

I mean how stupid to people have to be to think that discouraging health is a good idea in comparison to worrying about people's feeling?

Just fuck people...

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,...tml?tw=rss.TOP

Brain Workouts May Tone Memory

...snip...

She also said she was concerned that too much emphasis on the benefits of mental fitness could stigmatize Alzheimer's patients.

"If mental exercise is widely believed to prevent (Alzheimer's disease), then individuals who do become demented may be blamed for their disease on the grounds of not having exercised their brains enough," she said.

...more...
Old 08-05-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

mmmm...bad mood this morning, TS? Just askin'
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Nah, just a rather large case of stupid shit in my news this morning. Not all of them are worth posting but I still read them so you guys get a dose of vitriol(e) backsplash.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:05 PM   #4
marichiko

If somebody developes Alzheimer's, I don't think they are going to pick up on others blaming them for coming down with the condition, anyhow. Someone who blames an Alzheimer's sufferer for having the condition probably has Alzheimer's themselves. That woman's comments were rather foolish if you ask me.

My neurologist has been giving me lots of those little brain exercises to practice, and they really do help. My Alzheimer's seems to be improving. Er, what we talking about?
Old 08-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

I think she's more trying to say that you can't prevent alzhiemer's.. period. And that if mental exercises work so well in preventing it like people say, then the person would be at fault for "letting their bike gears rust out in the rain".

My uncle of 60 years has this disease, and letting him work through most situations instead of just doing everything for him does help keep him active and slows the effects of the disease.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:08 PM   #6
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

Who cares if they feel stigmatized?

It's not like it's a lasting feeling.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
Brett's Honey
whatever

My grandmother had alzheimer's when she died. She most definitely went downhill much faster after she stopped working and staying active.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:24 AM   #8
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonated_Brains

You are an awful, awful human being.

As am I for laughing out loud.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:42 AM   #9
marichiko

Quote:

BINGO! Guess, what? If you have a brain injury, you worry about stuff like that for exactly 5.3 nanoseconds. Then you decide to go take a bath in microwave. Except you get distracted when you figure you may as well try to accessorize your cat and your vacumn cleaner. You finish off your entertaining day by wondering why all those demons are traipsing around in your garden, and you go plant some hard boiled eggs when the demons are gone cuz you wanna have Easter Eggs in time for April. Yep.

Last edited by marichiko; 08-06-2005 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #10
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

If I'm forced to get a brain disease when I'm old, I'd love dementia.

We had a family member who got dementia in his old age; he was the happiest guy in the world. Completely detached from logic and reality, he was totally content in his own little world. Always kept a pot of coffee on because the Queen was going to visit soon.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #11
marichiko

Yeah, now that would be a cool sort of dementia to have, CB. Its funny how the condition affects different people. Some end up like your family member but some end up mean and paranoid, though. Some end up very anxious. My Dad had bouts of dementia at the end of his life. It was wierd how he'd go in and out of reality. I think he was having a series of mini-strokes is what it was. My Dad had been very responsible and hard working all his life. Once I went to visit him at the assisted living place where he spent his final two years and he was extremely upset. He had packed up all his belongings and had been calling the airport about flights to Kentucky. Turns out it was the time of the year to start stripping tobacco leaves and my Dad thought his brother-in-law (by then dead for years) needed him to come help out on his tobacco farm. When the first Gulf War started, my Dad called me up and insisted that he needed to get out to Fort Carson. "I need to report back to my unit," he informed me. "My men need me." Jeez, poor old guy. He'd already fought for his country in three wars and was ready to go back and fight in a fourth one at age 79!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:43 AM   #12
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
We had a family member who got dementia in his old age; he was the happiest guy in the world. Completely detached from logic and reality, he was totally content in his own little world. Always kept a pot of coffee on because the Queen was going to visit soon.
About 2 months before my (beloved) nana died, she got dementia. She heard old hymns all the time, and was convinced that there was a party that she had to prepare for upstairs. There were some not-so-cute moments as well, such as "the boy standing in the corner" at 12 a.m. and the little baby she thought was sleeping on the pillow next to her. That was creepy.

But while she still had intermittent lucidity, she knew she was losing it, and took pains not to worry us. One of the last clear things she said to us was, "It's too bad none of you can hear the music, it's very pretty." Even she chuckled at that one.

Gotta go get something out of my eye. Love you, nana.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote