Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #46
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Old 11-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #47
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

This past Sunday, I voted with my Mom.

Yesterday, I hung out with BelovedDaughter as she voted.

Today, I chatted with EldestSon and his first remark was "I put my ballot in the mail today".

These things make me very very happy!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #48
busterb
NSABFD

Well, sometimes I wonder why. This time, must be 15 running for sheriff. Anyone who can't see that this a thing to split the F!@#$ vote is nuts. The rest suck!!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #49
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Big Sarge for Sheriff!
Old 11-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #50
Ibby
erika

my city is cooler than your city (probably, statistically speaking) (even if they can't make sure their PDFs are scanned straight)

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 3.44.27 AM.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  19.6 KB

"Shall the people of Burlington support the legalization, regulation, and taxation of of all cannabis and hemp products?"
Easily the second-simplest vote I have to consider, after President. In fact, Vermont's safely-Democratic electoral votes mean that I can consider a third party without hurting Obama's re-election chances. This might be THE simplest vote I can cast.

The other questions require more thought.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 3.51.56 AM.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  87.1 KB

1 and 2 I'm definitely voting Yes on. What can I say, I'm a commie. I'm all for issuing more bonds (especially since 1 is actually MUCH more cost-effective than relying on short-term debt), and the waterfront revitalization efforts would definitely be beneficial to our tourism, economy, and quality of life.

3, on the other hand, I'm desperately torn. On one hand, I fully support any form of transportation that's more efficient than driving one's own car...
on the other hand I lose my shit around bikers and drive slower than they can pedal to make sure i don't have to worry about trying to pass them and risk running them over because I drive like a grandmother, and i'll be damned if i make it easier for those damn dirty hippies to make it MORE likely for me to freak out about slowing up the long string of cars that inevitably pile up behind me as I drive at like eight MPH.
I'll probably vote Yes out of responsibleness but i really won't like it. damn bikers.

Your local dept of elections or whatever almost certainly has posted your local ballot online. Post it here, even if you don't want to tell us how you're voting! Share your local democracy!

Last edited by Ibby; 11-04-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #51
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

As much as I criticise the US electoral system, I have to say, I like and admire these ballot initiatives. We almost never have things like this. I'm pretty sure a lot of things - cannabis and same-sex marriage, for two - would be supported that lobby-scared pollies won't back.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #52
Flint
Snowflake

Pooka and I voted early. It is so easy and so convenient, I don't know why everyone doesn't vote early. Go ahead and get it done--what if something comes up on election day and prevents you from getting there? Don't sweat it, just vote early.

Unless, you know, a massive hurricane is smashing your house.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #53
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I voted early. I'm in Florida, a swing state, and we are being unbelievably buried in political bullshit. I don't just talk the talk, I have signs in my yard...corner lot on a main highway thank-you-very-much. I double dog dare anyone to give me shit about it either.

Straight Democratic ticket, yes to retain all judges and no to every Constitutional Amendment. Yes to the referendum question to continue the tax to benefit schools. No to the other two.

Ballot for my address

There is a Republican power grab going on with the judges, because the Republican's would love to replace these moderate judges with their own appointees (not so moderate, of course) and this would impact Florida's future well beyond the asinine and corrupt governor and state Republican government we have now.

Principled Justices

The constitutional amendments are a bunch of badly worded, misleadingly titled, mish-mash of Republican attempts to hand out favors, insert religion into our government, bar Obamacare, and giving themselves additional power and control where it should not be. So no, across the board.

2012 Constitutional Amendments

Our governor is one of, if not THE most corrupt governor in office. He was actually involved in a huge fraud case when head of Columbia HCA. Columbia settled with the government for $1.9 billion. He instituted welfare drug testing...and it turns out, welfare recipients actually use drugs LESS than your average employed person (probably something to do with a paycheck??) and the state of Florida lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Did I mention the drug testing company was founded by Dear Gov. Scott and transferred to his wife's name just before this was implemented? Now they made money

Florida Saved Nothing

He is attempting to implement all sorts of shady crap while he has the chance. He'll be gone (hopefully) next election!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #54
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Go vote!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #55
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

How long do I keep my gloat sign...I mean my Obama/Biden, in my yard?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #56
glatt

It would be classy if you took it down today.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #57
infinite monkey

Yeah. The businesses across the road will certainly leave all their signs up (Romney, Mandel. My favorite is "WE BUILT THIS COMPANY. NOT OBAMA!" Which doesn't make sense...I KNOW they didn't build Obama) and I will be a good sport and take mine down.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #58
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

My next door neighbors were out with a ginormous Obama sign yesterday afternoon, causing major noise pollution on the road going past my house. Last night, when Obama hit 270 electoral votes, they ran into the street screaming joyously. There were fireworks nearby too.

I'm happy too!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #59
infinite monkey

That's awesome!

It's a special victory for women's rights, imo.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:25 PM   #60
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Tomorrow is election day here. Twil and I just voted. I have to say that I believe our election system in Washington has many things going for it.

1 - - Vote by mail. We've had our ballots for about two weeks now. It requires considerable effort to have a legitimate case for tardiness, procrastination notwithstanding.

2 - - Postage paid return envelopes. Come on. There have always been ballot drop boxes around, now every mailbox is one, presuming you deposit it in time. You still need to have it postmarked by election day. Your petty four-bit excuse is old and busted.

3 - - OCR ballots. I know this isn't very novel, but it is very easy and durable and hack resistant. And it those attributes apply to recounts as well as audits. I've voted "electronically" before and this is waaaaay better.

4 - - This is a primary election. Our primary system decides the two candidates who will appear on the ballot in the general election in November. The top two vote getters in each race get onto the ballot in the general election. No Party <strike> bullshit
/ interference / control </strike> regulation of *your* choice for the best candidate.

I like it. We also have a very robust system of initiatives and referenda which sometimes produces results I don't agree with, but it is as small "d" democratic as it gets.

There's room for improvement too. I wish our state allocated our electoral votes in proportion to the popular vote like a couple states do now. This would dilute our blue blue bloc, but I think it would fairer.

I hope you all vote too!