The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 12-05-2003, 04:37 PM   #1
Dolcedude
Person Who Has Posted

Hating on Bluetooth

Recently, I've been gathering a lot of information on Bluetooth Wireless Technology. I find it to be a very good product and very useful. After reading postings etc, I noticed that many people thought it was lame. Why? Granted there have been some past problems with it, but the kinks, at this point, have been ironed out. Could you guys give me some intelligent reasons why you don't like it? Even better, could those of you who do like it post something?
Dolcedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 12:00 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Never used it, though I have read that it has significantly better security, and siginificantly less range, than 802.11xyz.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 06:04 PM   #3
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Been reading about these technologies for too many years now. BlueTooth long ago 'shot its wad' and did not prosper when the results should have been coming in. They are done. Many technologies had promise but could not deliver. They (like Bluetooth) will continue to exist - as minor players - like Token Ring was to network hardware.

In the last year or so from high tech magazines, 802.11x is the future. That's final. Computer users will be seeing this 'given' over the next couple of years.

Where was all this being discussed? Where the design of chips for those technologies are analyzed. By the time those technologies become popular at the consumer level, then it becomes obvious where the future lies. Firewire will continue to exist. But it was clear many years ago that USB was a better alternative - because of what had been happening when chips for these technologies were being designed.

Bluetooth was really only for wireless communication between adjacent devices. But then IR communication could already do that just fine. So where did Bluetooth provide the times ten advantage? It did not. Its already a 'has been'.

Last edited by tw; 12-06-2003 at 06:07 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:27 PM   #4
Razorfish
Superhero

Quote:
Originally posted by tw

Bluetooth was really only for wireless communication between adjacent devices. But then IR communication could already do that just fine. So where did Bluetooth provide the times ten advantage? It did not. Its already a 'has been'.
That pretty much sums it up. While Bluetooth is a neat idea it doesn't really deliver performance that says "this is the future of communication". The 802.11 standard is just better in all ways. This includes range, price to usefulness ratio, and security (when configured properly of course; default configs are often VERY insecure).

Bluetooth had some promise. I would be great to have a bluetooth in your PDA and printer so you could print without booting your computer or even use sync features without having to buy a docking station. Unfortunately bluetooth isn't in many devices besides PDAs. At this point I don't see the point in spending $100 dollars extra to get a device with a bluetooth chip in it. It would also cost even more money to get all your other devices bluetooth enabled (thus justifying the original bluetooth purchase in the first place).

I don't really see Bluetooth fitting into the mainstream like 802.11 did but I would really like to hear someone for Bluetooth make an arguement.

note: Mac G4 and G5 have bluetooth as a fairly cheap option during configuration. No PC I know of has the same option, you have to look aftermarket.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

If your information sources are truly high tech, then Mesh Networks have been the hot topic. Let's backtrack. Electric Companies long ago began outsourcing their meter reading business to third party companies. Why? Reading electric meters would become obsolete. Meters are now typically read by the same system that also tells those with 'off peak' hot water heaters when to power on and off. IOW meter readers should now be obsolete in most every suburban and urban setting - which begs the question how patriotic (innovative) is your electric company?

The system that controls 'off peak' demand and reads your meter is called a mesh network. A combination of ethernet hardwired networks interconnected to 'workstations' by a chain of celluar wireless stations. A mesh network is a combination of an ethernet network of hardwired routers and a wireless repeater network. Redundancy means that if one wireless repeater or one area ethernet hub goes down, then adjacent 'cells' may pick up the load.

This may be the next wave - a hot technology for home, office, neighborhood, and campus networking. And what would it be based upon? Certainly not the long stagnent technology called Blue Tooth. Again and again, the old and resilient standard keeps ending up the dominate technology. IEEE 802.xx. In this case, mesh network development is now a cooperative development of Intel and Cisco using 802.11. Ethernet on wireless. Same fundamental technology that drives wireless hubs using IEEE 802.11a/b/g.

Rather amazing how technology pioneered by Metcalf and associates in early 1970 Xerox roundly defeats so many other competitive networking technologies (ie IBM's Token Ring, Apple's AppleTalk, or AT&T's circuit switching technologies). Also amazing how this same Xerox facility was not permitted to earn profits for Xerox. Companies such as 3COM, Apple, and Cisco demonstrate how profitable an innovation can be when not stifled by business school graduates. Some 30 years later and that Xerox innovation called Ethernet still keeps creating new profits throughout America - but not for a company dominated by MBAs - Xerox. (How did Xerox keep from going bankrupt? They had KPMG - their accounting company - cook the books since that is all an MBA really understands.)

Watch for 'mesh networking'. Notice what kind of companies pioneer innovative technologies. Companies located far from MBA central (East Coast US) and companies run by people who come from where the work gets done (a principle that business schools say is not necessary).
tw is offline   Reply With Quote