The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
june
Provocateur

confused !

It’s a career’s choice thing.

Here is the story: I have a degree in the field that I am actually good at and have experience on, but don’t love much, I mean .… it isn’t something of value and meaningful to me at the time. So I left to pursue something else. Unfortunately, I have overestimated myself …. Could not achieve it …. Don’t have enough brain cells for it. Now I am loss, can’t go further but don’t want to go back either. So sad, so loss

Please help !
june is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Tulip
Professor

Then try something else. Don't stay in something that will make you unhappy. I'm sorry that I'm not much help there. I do wish you good luck in finding a career that will satisfiy you.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

1. Be more specific. The aggregate wisdom and experience here can be quite insightful, if we have something with which we can actually work. Otherwise you'll get a whole lot of wisecracks and end up feeling resentful about having asked.

2. What do you love to do?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Flint
Snowflake

If only somebody would show up and offer some kind of career counseling service!
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 06-17-2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: found a better link
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
monster
I hear them call the tide

What is the field you left behind, what are you doing now, and what are your other interests?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, June.

You don't want to go back to what you were doing, or where you were doing it?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

oh yeah, and what they said.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:59 AM   #8
nmckenzie02
Dry Nurse

i feel ya june. did the exact same thing and am in the exact same boat. i'm getting a job in the restaurant industry and going to pursue my shit anyway (music-recording and performance). overestimated or not, it's another good chance to start at the the bottom and earn your way up.

do you feel compelled to do that "something else" no matter the sacrifice? is that "se" something that you struggle with or that comes out of the clear blue sky into your brain? do you feel insecure when you describe the details of that "se", or do you get a clear picture of what you're trying to communicate?

these questions should help pinpoint true intention within your heartmind.

i also recommend reading j.k. rowling's recent commencement speech given at harvard on on the power of failure. i found it inspiring and hopefully you will too.

you could also watch esoteric agenda, realize that all this is a bullshit monkey dance and that we ought to live every moment doing what we love in the present until we transcend our collective ego. live your dreams, now; and don't give in to astonishment!!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
june
Provocateur

Dear All,

First, let me thank all of you for being here and for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciated it.

Wishing you guy a happy and fulfill career.

June.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

here's some advice for you that will really help you get to the bottom of your confuse. And now an uplift comment to make you understand cheerful. And also, a thank you for sharing your life in us.

extra sparkly lucky for you, too.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:12 AM   #11
june
Provocateur

"Then try something else. Don't stay in something that will make you unhappy. I'm sorry that I'm not much help there. I do wish you good luck in finding a career that will satisfiy you." [Tulip]

Yes Tulip, I’ve been running away from things that make me unhappy - but then again I don’t know if I’ll ever find something I truly happy with … is it me or just the job?! Wonder if I am letting too much of my emotional side get in the way ?!…

Last edited by june; 06-19-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:14 AM   #12
june
Provocateur

"1. Be more specific. The aggregate wisdom and experience here can be quite insightful, if we have something with which we can actually work. Otherwise you'll get a whole lot of wisecracks and end up feeling resentful about having asked.
2. What do you love to do?"
[Wolf]

Wolf, I am not so sure what I love to do, but I know that I don’t like a competitive, business like environments. Being around and work with people whom I love and respects are what make me happy, I guess … also helping the unfortunate, the sickness would make me feel worthwhile. And yet I also like to be able to learn and grow though works …. Is that too much to ask?

Yes, I was trying to get to this “specific” field in health care, but you know the story …. didn’t make it.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #13
june
Provocateur

"If only somebody would show up and offer some kind of career counseling service!" [Flint]

Flint, “Fresh Prince Rolled” is some funny song, not a career counseling service, I’m afraid; but thanks for your perfectly good intention anyway. I actually had a good time watching the guy shaking around, although I must say that understand the song was not an easy thing to do.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #14
june
Provocateur

"What is the field you left behind, what are you doing now, and what are your other interests?" [monster]

It’s a creative field that I left behind, Monster. And health care is the field that I wanted to get in. My other interest? guess I love calm, non-competition environments; work with people I like and respect, help the needed …. while making a decent living ….

Last edited by june; 06-19-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:18 AM   #15
june
Provocateur

"Welcome to the Cellar, June.
You don't want to go back to what you were doing, or where you were doing it?"
[xoxoxobruce]

Thanks Bruce. It’s both I guess …. maybe more of the “what” and the “who” than the “where” …. Also, I was going through some personal crises at that time, so change was only made sense ….