The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-13-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

7/13/2006: Arrow-shot ibis lives, evades helpers

Yet another tale of man's inhumanity to animals...

According to this full story, two days ago they were trying to catch this poor bird for quite a while. From the story:
Quote:
Usually, injured birds are willing to give themselves up, the volunteers said. Hunt and Camp have rescued many birds with broken wings or who have gotten tangled in fishing lure.

But this is a traumatized and very young ibis, probably born this spring because its feathers are still brown. Adult white ibises are all white.

Ibises are wading birds that hunt for small fish. The injured bird is believed to be a part of a flock that looks for dinner in the retention pond between Gladiola Avenue and Nova Road.

The injured bird was first reported on Thursday night, according to the Bird Rescue Center.

"He is one lucky bird," Camp said, because the arrow appears to have missed the vital organs and chest muscles used for flying.

From the angle of the arrow, it looks like somebody shot at the bird while it was on the ground. The arrow pierces the bird's body at a diagonal.

The arrow also looks like a target arrow, or the type shot at barrels of hay, volunteers said.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Looks like an Easton Gamegetter II. Aluminum Shaft, plastic fletching.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I was thinking ibis from the long beak and legs as long as the body, but you may be right.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

He's into extreme body modification.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm am seriously contemplating becoming a vegetarian.

Seriously.

If I DO turn PETA on your asses it will be YOUR OWN FAULT!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

According to the full story link, that area is swarming with sicko animal abusers. Even players on the local ball team. Yikes.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
grazzers
Aim for the Best

I got into archery last september and shoot for my university team, and enjoy it a lot, but I only use standard targets, why would you want to shoot animals? As this shot shows, its not nearly as humane as shooting the animal with a high accuracy rifle (which I still disapprove of, but at least the animal is dead before it can feel anything.)

No, I'm not vegetarian, but killing livestock for food is slightly different to shooting a bird for the fun of it.

Anonymous Poet
grazzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:12 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Damn dirty indians.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 07-13-2006 at 02:16 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #9
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I think they were actually injuns.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #10
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Poor bird makes me think of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:13 PM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Actually, this reminds me of something that happened to me a few decades ago.

I was a camp counselor in Pennsylvania. I had some free time, so I took my bow, which was a cheap fiberglass recurve that was still better than the camp ones, and went to the archery range.

The targets were set in front of hay bales. I was using a standard target point, a blunted cone. After shooting, I went to get the arrows out and found one had gone in all the way into the target up to it's fletching. Pulling the arrow out normally would have ruined the fletching, so I followed standard practice and walked around back to pull it out by the point.

I saw the point poking out of the hay bale and gave it a good yank. In less than a second, the snake that my arrow had shot through flopped out of the hay bale and onto my wrist.

I don't know exactly how loud I screamed, but I'm sure they heard me in the next state.

The snake was black and about a foot long. The arrow had gone through the skin about halfway down the body but pushed aside all of the organs. It was not poisonous, but it was pissed. I took it to the nature hut and they put it in a terrarium with some other snakes, which it ate.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:33 PM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
I think they were actually injuns.
Pesky Redskins, I believe. Probably en route to Goshen.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:09 AM   #13
xant
Belt Conveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
According to the full story link, that area is swarming with sicko animal abusers. Even players on the local ball team. Yikes.
Hard to believe virtuous players of ball could be capable of bad things.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1790062.shtml
xant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That bird is such a poser--look at how he aligns the arrow with the telephone wire. He *know* the camera's on him. Bird like that is just begging for attention.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Local news usually has at least three of these a year, most often ducks or Canada geese, but I kind of recall one swan from a few years back.

It's hard to hit a vital organ with a target point.

IIRC, blunts are preferred for small game and birds, but you usually end up having to bludgeon the animal to death because they're just stunned.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote