The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #301
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

We realize they are no different then any other country?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #302
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

If that is the case do you continue to treat them as "partners".
Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #303
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Of course, you just try to put yourself in the position to exploit them in return.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #304
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

no merc, you are mistaken and your fear is irrational. The whole world just wants to hold hands with us and sing Kumbayah.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #305
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
So what happens when they act like our partner and in fact they are actually using the relationship to screw us at every corner and take advantage of our friendships to exploit the relationship for their gain at our loss or worse to facilitate our demise?
It is my contention that we are the ones who created the mess in the first place, by our past actions. We continually get involved in the politics of these kinds of countries, and it always comes back and bites us in the ass. Usually though, we do it for selfish reasons. Maybe if we try doing something for unselfish reasons we might find more success. However, there will still be some (al qaeda, taliban, etc.) who want to destroy us. We will never minimize those people if we continue doing what we've always done, because we know it doesn't work. It's time to throw that playbook away and try something different. Maybe we should just LEAVE that part of the world altogether and let them work out their problems on their own.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #306
lookout123
changed his status to single

we haven't tried turning that region into a glass parking lot yet. should we try that?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #307
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
we haven't tried turning that region into a glass parking lot yet. should we try that?
Do you have any idea how hard it is to park on glass?

I think you mixed your metaphors there.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #308
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
It is my contention that we are the ones who created the mess in the first place, by our past actions. We continually get involved in the politics of these kinds of countries, and it always comes back and bites us in the ass. Usually though, we do it for selfish reasons. Maybe if we try doing something for unselfish reasons we might find more success. However, there will still be some (al qaeda, taliban, etc.) who want to destroy us. We will never minimize those people if we continue doing what we've always done, because we know it doesn't work. It's time to throw that playbook away and try something different. Maybe we should just LEAVE that part of the world altogether and let them work out their problems on their own.
Well just nail us to a cross.

Not.

Fuck that.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #309
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
Do you have any idea how hard it is to park on glass?

I think you mixed your metaphors there.
I think it would be pretty. miles and miles of glass.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #310
TheMercenary

An Airport to Nowhere. You'all remember that bridge in AK?

Quote:
Murtha's Earmarks Keep Airport Aloft
State-of-the-Art Pennsylvania Facility Sees Few Travelers but Lots of Funding

By Carol D. Leonnig
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, April 19, 2009

JOHNSTOWN, Pa. -- The John Murtha airport sits on a windy mountain two hours east of Pittsburgh, a 650-acre expanse of smooth tarmac, spacious buildings, a helicopter hangar and a National Guard training center.

Inside the terminal on a recent weekday, four passengers lined up to board a flight, outnumbered by seven security staff members and supervisors, all suited up in gloves and uniforms to screen six pieces of luggage. For three hours that day, no commercial or private planes took off or landed. Three commercial flights leave the airport on weekdays, all bound for Dulles International Airport.

The key to the airport's gleaming facilities -- and, indeed, its continued existence -- is $200 million in federal funds in the past decade and the powerful patron who steered most of that money here. Rep. John P. Murtha (D-Pa.) is credited with securing at least $150 million for the airport. It was among the first in the country to win funding from this year's stimulus package: $800,000 to repave a backup runway.

The facility, newly renamed the John Murtha Johnstown-Cambria County Airport, is a testament to Murtha's ability to tap streams of federal money for pricey, state-of-the-art projects that are rare among regional airports of comparable size.

Murtha, dubbed the King of Pork by critics, consistently directs more federal money to his district than any other congressman -- $192 million in the 2008 budget. His pattern of steering millions in earmarks to defense contractors who give to his campaign and hire his allies as lobbyists is being scrutinized by the FBI as part of an investigation of a lobbying firm led by one of Murtha's closest friends.

The lawmaker, who uses the airport frequently during his campaigns, has steadily steered millions of taxpayer dollars to it to build a new terminal with a restaurant; a long, concrete runway sturdy enough to handle large jets; and a high-tech radar system usually reserved for international airports.

The airport's passenger count has fallen by more than half in the past 10 years. When Johnstown native Bill Previte arrived on a recent morning, he lamented that his plane was half-empty and that the terminal was deserted.

"Doesn't it seem kind of ridiculous to have a motorized carousel for the baggage claim when 15 people get off the airplane?" he said. "It's obvious: There's not enough population to justify this place."

Murtha, who heads the House Appropriations defense subcommittee, has fought for airport funding as a way to bring jobs to his congressional district, devastated by losses in the steel and coal industries.

Murtha spokesman Matt Mazonkey defended the public spending and said it is unfair to weigh the airport's low volume of passengers against the federal dollars invested in the facility. He noted that several regional airports are confronting the same problem.

"Would we like to have additional commercial flights and business? Absolutely. But you don't attract additional business without having the infrastructure in place to do so," Mazonkey said.

Airport officials said the facility has been a selling point for businesses that are considering locating in Johnstown and praised Murtha's dedication to ensuring air service for the community.

"Mr. Murtha's been a godsend to this airport, no question about it," said airport manager Scott Voelker, who took the job nine months ago. "The economy's been really bad here since the steel mills pulled out. He has a vision for developing this airport and using it to bring businesses into this community."

But a watchdog group on federal waste called the airport a "white elephant."
continues:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...802128_pf.html
Old 04-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #311
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #312
sugarpop
Professor

He should be voted out of office.

Hopefully this silliness will start ending and the money will only be spent where it actually should be used. That isn't to say that money should never be used in sparsely populated areas. But, it should be used wisely, and that doesn't sound wise, what Murtha was doing.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #313
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But the "watchdogs" will be lining up to use it when dirty bombs hit the cities with major airports. Once again PA in preparing while the rest of the country lags behind. :p
Old 04-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #314
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
$800,000 to repave a backup runway.
Three commercial flights leave the airport on weekdays
Isn't the Pittsburgh airport just a hundred miles or so away?
Who is the backup runway for anyway?
Quote:
a watchdog group on federal waste called the airport a "white elephant."
So what, we in the cellar have a pink one!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #315
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
He should be voted out of office.

Hopefully this silliness will start ending and the money will only be spent where it actually should be used. That isn't to say that money should never be used in sparsely populated areas. But, it should be used wisely, and that doesn't sound wise, what Murtha was doing.
I am not sure that they treated the Gov of AK with such kit gloves.