The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, I didn't understand the strategy was to close the loophole since the SCOTUS opened it. Do they really think they can piss off enough people to get legislation passed that will stand up in court?
Old 03-31-2017, 06:46 PM   #47
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Hard to say, but there are probably a lot of jurisdictions where angry religious people trying to get Satan out of their school have more power than an atheist group.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:31 PM   #48
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

And in the meantime, more humanist propaganda propagates. This is a good thing in my book.

xoB, you are absolutely on the mark when you say that a lot of people will be interested, but worried about the backlash for their little Johnny or Susie. When this story was in the local news, 11 families showed up to the open house meeting at the local school, but only one had the courage of their convictions sufficient to "join". And one member did not a club make. The other parents were interviewed and were generally sympathetic to the idea described by HM, but not enough to subject their kid to the inescapable harassment. Sad but true. It does look like the got a club stood up north of here in Mt Vernon, though. Good for them.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #49
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Satan?
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #50
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

heh.

Do you oppose the message? Who would?

eta:

https://protectchildrenproject.com/

Quote:
The Protect Children Project utilizes the First Amendment to protect public school students from being subjected to corporal punishment, solitary confinement, physical restraints, and the deprivation of bathroom access as these abusive practices violate our religious belief of bodily inviolability. When a student registers, we notify their school board that harming this student would violate their civil rights.

Corporal punishment is legal in 19 states and over 110,000 children are legally hit in school each year with many requiring emergency room visits.

Tens of thousands of children in public schools in all 50 states are placed in solitary confinement as punishment. This practice in on the rise in schools even though seclusion is being phased out of prisons.

Despite being a basic violation of human rights, deprivation of bathroom access is so commonplace in school that no government agency even bothers to track this.

TST’s Protect Children Project utilizes the First Amendment to protect public school students who share our sincerely held beliefs of bodily inviolability from these abuses. When a student registers, we notify their school board that harming that student would violate their civil rights.

We are putting the worst school districts on notice by posting billboards near their schools announcing that students no longer have to be subjected to their sadistic practices. The billboards also broadcast to the rest of the world how sickeningly shameful these schools are.

Springtown, Texas was chosen as the site for our first billboard not only because they routinely hit students, but because the district took no punitive action against a male vice principal after he beat two female students despite the school having a policy that prohibits male administrators from hitting female students. Rather than arrest or, at the very least, fire the vice principal, Superintendent Mike Kelley successfully lobbied the school board to change the rules retroactively to allow male faculty to spank teenage girls.
I, for one, welcome our new, humanist, no-corporal-punishment-in-schools-believing overlords. I think there's a whole other discussion about religious liberty and ... what's that other phrase.. oh yeah ... "religious freedom" (to discriminate, spank, etc) to be had. This *real* billboard will be a part of the discussion. As will corporate personhood (another pile of bullshit) and that a corporation can have religious rights. Give me a fucking break.

Last edited by BigV; 04-09-2017 at 09:15 PM.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #51
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's good billboard and a worthy project. However, I still think having Satan on the billboard is going to alienate a sizeable segment of the public instantly. Yes, it will spread news of the billboard and awareness of the program by word of mouth. But the religious folks will be opposed no mater what you're doing. To make this program effective the support of the public is vital, unless you've got a shitload of money for legal action. Even then, if the kids parents refuse it's hard to represent the kid in court. You're left with cases on principles which don't have the weight or impact of a beat up kid.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #52
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I believe what they're doing is trying to get each school district in court to say that it's more important for the state to hit the kid than it is for the state to respect their religious freedom.

That is going to be a very difficult case to make.

Of course there will be people who are scandalized by the labels used for this religious argument. Indeed there are religious traditions where corporal punishment is an accepted part of the program. Being whacked by a nun in catholic school is practically a cliche'. Certainly, no student in a catholic school will register as a satanist to be able to claim a religious defense. I grant you that.

But there are lots of public schools where corporal punishment and the like are part of the accepted system. I believe there are plenty of opportunities for people, families, students, who would be willing to say this to prevent that.

The religious freedom ... (unladylike words here) persons are going to be hoist on their own petard. It will not take many "satanists" to get a case to court to make a lot of news. And as for the cost, I believe the ACLU would take such a case, be *happy* to take such a case.

Did you read at the link the anecdote about the male vice principal spanking female students against the school district's existing rules? And that rather than subject the vp to negative consequences, the school district went all in in the opposite direction, making it explicitly legal for opposite sex spanking. Creep factor is +1, but that's small potatoes compared to the uselessness of the tactic. Like you're gonna paddle a kid into "getting it" or "seeing things your way". Good fucking luck, paddler, you are gonna need it. There probably is a small segment of the population that such a strategy would prove successful. But that implies a much larger segment in which the paddler would simply harden the attitudes of the student.

I haven't been a school administrator, but I've been a parent, and the adult in the room... and I can tell you that "too big to spank" comes really young. It's just so easy to get it wrong, a thousand times more likely go badly. Something that is so unlikely to succeed should not be policy.

Tha's kinda fucked up.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #53
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, they changed to rules retroactively to protect the principal. But it is legal in 19 states for public schools. They go by the creed, whack a couple of them up side the head, the rest will get in line right quick. Trumps SCOTUS will probably go along with that.

I want to know if the principal spanked the two girls on their panties or pull them down?
Old 04-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #54
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
They go by the creed, whack a couple of them up side the head, the rest will get in line right quick.
I don't think that's how they do that.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote