The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #766
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Well, it's a dog's life, so...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #767
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Today is April 22.

Earth Day is observed today, concurrently with International Mother Earth Day.

Events

1836 – Texas Revolution: A day after the Battle of San Jacinto, forces under Texas General Sam Houston identify Mexican General Antonio López de Santa Anna among the captives of the battle when one of his fellow captives mistakenly gives away his identity.

1864 – The U.S. Congress passes the Coinage Act of 1864 that mandates that the inscription In God We Trust be placed on all coins minted as United States currency.

1876 – The first game in the history of the National League was played at the Jefferson Street Grounds in Philadelphia. This game is often pointed to as the beginning of MLB.

1889 – At noon, thousands rush to claim land in the Land Rush of 1889. Within hours the cities of Oklahoma City and Guthrie are formed with populations of at least 10,000.

1945 – World War II: Führerbunker: After learning that Soviet forces have taken Eberswalde without a fight, Adolf Hitler admits defeat in his underground bunker and states that suicide is his only recourse.

1970 – The first Earth Day is celebrated.

1977 – Optical fiber is first used to carry live telephone traffic.

2000 – In a pre-dawn raid, federal agents seize six-year-old Elián González

Name:  elian.JPG
Views: 303
Size:  32.9 KB

from his relatives' home in Miami.

2008 – The United States Air Force retires the last remaining F-117 Nighthawk

Name:  117.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  19.2 KB

aircraft in service.

1724 – Immanuel Kant, 1870 – Vladimir Lenin, 1891 – Nicola Sacco (Sacco and Vanzetti), 1899 – Vladimir Nabokov (author Lolita), 1904 – J. Robert Oppenheimer ("Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."), 1906 – Eddie Albert, 1916 – Yehudi Menuhin, 1922 – Charles Mingus, 1923 – Bettie Page (50s pin-up girl), 1923 – Aaron Spelling, 1936 – Glen Campbell, 1937 – Jack Nicholson, 1939 – Jason Miller ('Father Damien' in The Exorcist), 1944 – Steve Fo$$ett, 1946 – John Waters, 1950 – Peter Frampton, 1959 – Catherine Mary Stewart, 1959 – Ryan Stiles, 1966 – Jeffrey Dean Morgan, 1967 – Sherri Shepherd, 1972 – Willie Robertson (of Duck Dynasty), 1986 – Amber Heard

1616 – Miguel de Cervantes (author Don Quixote), 1933 – Henry Royce (Rolls-Royce), 1978 – Will Geer ('Wyatt Earp' in Winchester '73, 'Bear Claw Chris Lapp' in Jeremiah Johnson, 'Grandpa Walton' in The Waltons), 1984 – Ansel Adams, 1994 – Richard Nixon (37th POTUS), 1996 – Erma Bombeck, 2002 – Linda Lovelace, 2004 – Jason Dunham, 2004 – Pat Tillman, 2013 – Richie Havens♪ ♫

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #768
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I like the pictures, Grav. It's a nice touch!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #769
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Funny story about the F-117... The US military had numbered their planes sequentially since the beginning, except they skipped F-13 for superstitious reasons. But then after the F-18, they jumped to F-20, and fueled wild speculation about a top-secret spy plane that was already numbered 19 that no one knew existed. Everyone began taking this supposed F-19 stealth fighter as a given, putting it in action novels, making model airplane kits for it, etc... until finally the military did admit that they had a super secret spy plane--but it wasn't called the F-19, no, it was the F-117. A number which made no sense, and no other planes above 100 were ever made afterwards. A lot of people figured they just changed the number after the fact because they wanted to have the upper hand and tell everyone, "No, you were wrong, see?"
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:48 PM   #770
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

doesn't that ICE agent work for United Airlines now?
Old 04-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #771
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think he's Trump's ambassador to Cuba.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #772
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I like the pictures, Grav. It's a nice touch!
Thankee, ma'am.

I've only used iconic pics so far...Maybe it's a thing, now.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #773
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Today is April 23.

Yom HaShoah begins at sundown.

Today is also World Book Day, as well as St George's Day.

Also commemorated today is United Nations English Language Day, so, speak English, damn yer eyes!

In addition to all that, today is International Pixel-Stained Technopeasant Day.

Events

1635 – The first public school in the United States, Boston Latin School, is founded in Boston.

1914 – First baseball game at Wrigley Field, then known as Weeghman Park, in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
April 23, 1985

Coca Cola has the biggest brainfart ever, and reformulates its product and releases it as "New" Coke. Yeah, that lasted three months.

The first YouTube video is uploaded, entitled "Me, At The Zoo".

Births

James Buchanan-1791; Stephen Douglas-1813; Shirley Temple-1928; Halston, Jim Fixx-1932; Roy Orbison-1936; Lee Majors-1939; Sandra Dee-1942; Hervé Villechaize ("De plane! De plane!")-1943; Narada Michael Walden-1952; James Russo-1953; Tony Atlas-1954; Timothy McVeigh-1968; and just for Sheldon, and Big V, John Cena-1977

Deaths

Bill Shakespeare, Miguel de Cervantes-1616; William Wordsworth-1850; Alferd (no, not Alfred) Packer-1907; Charles Dawes-1950; William Hartnell (Dr. Who)-1975; Buster Crabbe-1983; Otto Preminger-1986; Johnny Thunders-1991; Cesar Chavez-1993; Howard Cosell, John C. Stennis-1995; James Earl Ray-1998; David Halberstam, Boris Yeltsin-2007
Ya see what I did there? Handy.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:47 PM   #774
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I like Dwellar history.
On this day April 23 2006, Claudette wrote,
Quote:
I finished reading Life on the Other Side last night and I have to say, I agreed with pretty much everything ol' Sylvia was saying about Life after Death. She says she's been Over There (NDE) and it is very beautiful and we are all happy there (except for those who chose the Left Door, turned their backs on God, are unhappy and going RIGHT BACK IN TO UTERO to come here all over again without spending any time enjoying the all encompassing peace of Home; eg. suicides, murderers, sociopaths, etc.) We decide if we want to come back to earth; if we do, we make up a highly detailed chart about how our life on earth will go and what specific thing we wish to overcome or experience while there. She also said that some soul's are so traumatized after their bodily death that they have to go into a kind of de-briefing process to re-enter Home fully integrated. I found that strange-I know our soul's can be traumatized while on Earth, but, for a soul going back to God to need special counselling before being able to enjoy the AfterLife? Anyway, her ideas were intriguing. She also said the spirit world is right here with us--only three feet above ground level. Isn't that weird? A lot of what she said jibbed with what Ritchie wrote about in Return from Tomorrow and what Eadie said in Embraced by the Light. I feel in my heart that these things are at least partly true, and then I wonder if I'm just kidding myself. I know a lot of people who think death is the Final 'IT', and nothing else happens.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #775
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Sylvia Browne is fuller of shit than a Christmas goose.
~Somebody (most people, prolly)

Thought provoking, though.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #776
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Today is April 24.

Today is Fashion Revolution Day, as well as International Sculpture Day.

Today is also a World Day for Laboratory Animals, so maybe take 5 minutes and 15 seconds out of your day, and have a thought for the lowly lab rat.

Events

1184 BC – Traditional date of the fall of Troy. I guess Troy shoulda watched where he was going.

1916 – Ernest Shackleton and five men of the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition launch a 22.5 foot open lifeboat, the James Caird, from uninhabited Elephant Island, in the Southern Ocean, to South Georgia Island, a distance of 800 miles, to organize a rescue for the crew of the sunken Endurance.

1980 – Eight U.S. servicemen die in Operation Eagle Claw as they attempt to end the Iran hostage crisis.

1990 – STS-31: The Hubble Space Telescope

Name:  hubble.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  17.7 KB

is launched from the Space Shuttle Discovery.

1905 – Robert Penn Warren, 1906 – William Joyce (Lord Haw Haw), 1914 – Justin Wilson ("I gar-on-tee!"), 1930 – Richard Donner, 1934 – Shirley MacLaine, 1936 – Jill Ireland, 1942 – Richard M. Daley, 1942 – Barbra Streisand♪ ♫, 1943 – Richard Sterban♪ ♫("oom-pa-pa-oom-pa-pa-oom-pa-pa-mow-mow"), 1945 – Doug Clifford(CCR), 1954 – Jack Blades♪ ♫(Night Ranger, Damn Yankees), 1964 – Cedric the Entertainer, 1964 – Djimon Hounsou, 1982 – Kelly Clarkson

1731 – Daniel Defoe, 1947 – Willa Cather, 1974 – Bud Abbott (Abbot & Costello), 1975 – Pete Ham♪ ♫(Badfinger), 1997 – Pat Paulsen, 1997 – Eugene Stoner (designed the AR-15 rifle, and others), 2004 – Estée Lauder

Old 04-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #777
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, I miss Labrat.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2017, 12:16 AM   #778
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Funny story about the F-117...
Seal Team Six. Why six? So that Soviet spies would spend lots of time looking for Teams one through five.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #779
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Today is April 25. There are 250 days remaining in 2017.

Today is ANZAC Day.

Also, today is DNA Day, as well as Parental Alienation Awareness Day, Red Hat Society Day, and World Malaria Day.

Events

1792 – Highwayman Nicolas J. Pelletier becomes the first person executed by guillotine.

1829 – Charles Fremantle arrives in HMS Challenger off the coast of modern-day Western Australia prior to declaring the Swan River Colony for the United Kingdom.

1846 – Thornton Affair: Open conflict begins over the disputed border of Texas, triggering the Mexican–American War.

1847 – The last survivors of the Donner Party are out of the wilderness.

1859 – British and French engineers break ground for the Suez Canal.

1901 – New York becomes the first U.S. state to require automobile license plates.

1916 – Anzac Day is commemorated for the first time on the first anniversary of the landing at ANZAC Cove.

1944 – The United Negro College Fund is incorporated.

1953 – Francis Crick and James Watson publish "Molecular Structure of Nucleic Acids: A Structure for Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid" describing the double helix structure of DNA.

1954 – The first practical solar cell is publicly demonstrated by Bell Telephone Laboratories.

1960 – The United States Navy submarine USS Triton completes the first submerged circumnavigation of the globe.

1977 - Elvis Presley made the last recordings of his life during a concert at the Saginaw, Michigan Civic Center. Three songs from the show appeared on the posthumously released Presley album, 'Moody Blue'.

1982 – Israel completes its withdrawal from the Sinai Peninsula per the Camp David Accords.

1983 – Pioneer 10 travels beyond Pluto's orbit.

2015 – Riots break out in Baltimore, Maryland following the death of Freddie Gray in police custody.

1599 – Oliver Cromwell, 1874 – Guglielmo Marconi, 1908 – Edward R. Murrow, 1917 – Ella Fitzgerald, 1923 – Albert King, 1932 – Meadowlark Lemon (Harlem Globetrotter), 1933 – Jerry Leiber♪ ♫, 1940 – Al Pacino, 1945 – Stu Cook(CCR), 1946 – Talia Shire ('Aaaaadrriiiiiaaaaann!!!'), 1964 – Hank Azaria (voices of Moe, Apu, Chief Wiggum, Comic Book Guy, Carl, and others on The Simpsons), 1969 – Joe Buck, 1969 – Renée Zellweger, 1970 – Jason Lee

1792 - Nicolas J. Pelletier, 1919 – Augustus D. Juilliard (yeah, that Juilliard), 1995 – Art Fleming (Jeopardy!, "Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should."),

1996 – Saul Bass (graphic designer, Oscar-winner, corporate logo designer), all these logos were designed by Saul Bass:

Name:  logos.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  27.9 KB

2002 – Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes♪ ♫(TLC), 2007 – Bobby 'Boris' Pickett♪ ♫, 2009 – Bea Arthur (Maude, The Golden Girls)

Old 04-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #780
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hey Gravdigr!

I'm glad you are continuing the good work you do in this thread.

Thank you.