The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Apr 3rd, 2017: Sterling Hill Mine

Gangster bones aren’t the only thing to dig up in New Jersey. The Sterling Hill mine dug up unusually rich(20%)
Zinc ore, from 1739 to 1986. During that 250 years of constantly changing mining technology they dug 35 miles
(56km), of tunnel, and down to 2550 ft(777m).
After closing in ’86, it became a museum, primarily of fluorescent minerals.

Quote:
Sterling Hill is the treasure chest of minerals. Together with the nearby Franklin Mine, 2.5 miles to the north,
more than 350 different mineral species have been found here — a world record for such a small area.
More than two dozen of these have been found nowhere else on Earth. The mine is equally famous for its
fluorescent minerals. Almost 90 different mineral species have been documented as fluorescent.

I can boil down to simpleton terms, which are my forte, because it’s my native language.
1- about 15% of minerals do it naturally, the others are amoral.
2- some minerals fluoresce, some don’t.
3- some samples of the same mineral may or may not fluoresce.
4- Some minerals don’t fluoresce when they’re contaminated with anti- fluorescing stuff.
5- Some minerals only fluoresce when they’re contaminated with fluorescing stimulating stuff.
What could be simpler than that?

But if you really still don’t get it, you could check out geology.com for their alternate news.
Or dis or dat.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Snakeadelic
Banned

NJ is actually very famous for its unique and fluorescing minerals, one of which is actually named Franklinite after the mine where it was discovered. Willemite and Calcite are a couple of the minerals often found with Franklinite. Fluorescing minerals really aren't my thing (I didn't wear those shades during the 80s either because we were too broke for fashion) but they are very awesome. The club I belong to does a display every year at the annual show--in a tent made of black felt. Can't WAIT to see what's gonna show up this year since we're hosting a regional show for clubs from 6 states!
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I was questioning the usage of "species" (not Bruce's accuracy, just why the scientific world would have chosen such a confusing term for a non-living thing) and came upon this useful site breaking down all the categories and subsets of mineral types. Yeah, it's a "4kids" site, but shut up. It's informative.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's the type of website that will explain it best to lay people.
It taught me minerals can be rated by Cleavage. I wonder if there's a Chesty La Bauxite, or Mae Vermiculite?