The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #31
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yeah, my current employer outsources a bunch of programming work to a very small company in Argentina, of all places. They're good guys down there.

Although since I'm a contract worker, I suppose technically they outsource locally too.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #32
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I wonder if having to deal with rude Brits is more, or less, stressful than, say, living under a piece of corrugated tin with a stream of shit running through it, washing your clothes in the Ganges, and looking hungrily at sacred cattle roaming in your living room?

This is the US secret plan for world domination. Give 'em a taste of IPods, DVD's, cars, McDonalds and such, then, when they start getting weak enough to be stressed by phone calls, conquer 'em.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #33
Flint
Snowflake

The force is strong with this one.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #34
keryx
Mrs. Fargon

I work in an inbound call center that contracts with various clients to provide customer service. Our location handles most of the newspaper clients: Washington Post, NY Times, Fresno Bee, those are the ones I can remember. I do not work a newspaper campaign anymore. I did LA Times, but that was sent to one of the three new call centers our company is building in Manila.

Now I work a very stressful campaign where the root cause of the stress is not the members who call in (though they can be annoying), it is the local management and the client! We are given impossible call time and quality goals to meet. Yet if there is an issue that we need to get the client to clarify a procedure or correct information.....well let's just say we're still waiting. The OM is occupied by the contractual obligation to meet 98% quality or pay a fine back to the client. Of course it is the client that monitors the calls that determine this fine, not a neutral 3rd party. I cannot think of any call center in the country that would have made this contract, which is probably why we got stuck with it.

And yet I have very little sympathy for the call center workers in India. MY ADVICE: People are going to be mean. It's a fact. Get over it. Learn some skills to help cope with irate callers. Having perfect command of the English language helps. Knowing a lot about the client's product/service and being able to go beyond the provided script helps.

Mr Fargon spoke at length with a Lexmark CSR, and found out that they had outsourced customer service to India and in less than a year had brought it back to California. Biggest reason: customer complaints regarding the language barrier. And if your question was one that was 'not scripted' you were screwed.

As so many before me have pointed out, all jobs have stress. You want the paycheck, you learn to deal with it.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #35
monster
I hear them call the tide

yup.

The Paki comments are unacceptable, though -although it doesn't quite have the same strength within the UK as nigger used by a caucasian here (as implied by bigV). But why doesn't that employee know and follow the procedure for racist abuse? because there isn't one or they daren't? Back to that 85%
Old 01-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #36
monster

How to Insult British Callers

.....although all along, my British grammatical perception has me envisioning this thread being about the way in which call centers insult the Brits who phone in:

You don't frighten us, English pig-dog! ---Go and boil your bottom, son of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, you and all your silly English customers. Thppppt! I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper!...... I fart in your general direction! . Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

'Allo, daffy English caller who has the brain of a duck! So, we Indian fellows out-wit you a second time! How you English say, I one more time-a unclog my nose in your direction, sons of a window-dresser! So, you think you could out-clever us Indian folk with your silly knees-bent running about in dancing behavior! I wave my private parts at your aunties, ... you cheesy lot of second hand electric donkey bottom biters.

No chance, English bedwetting types. I burst my pimples at you and call your door opening request a silly thing. You tiny-brained wipers of other people's bottoms! Yes, depart a lot at this time and cut the approaching any more or we fire arrows at the tops of your heads and make castanets out of your testicles already! Ha ha! And now remain gone illegitimate faced buggerfolk! And, if you think you got nasty taunting this time, you ain't heard nothing yet! Daffy English callers! Thpppt!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #37
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
.... with your silly knees-bent running about in dancing behavior!

hold it right there!

don't misquote the graaaaaillllll.

it's: knees bent advancing behavior!

link to the script by scene
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #38
monster

meh, I got the script from a different site, I don't know it by heart. Not that bit, anyway....
Old 01-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #39
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

well. you should. and so should you all.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #40
monster

(your way certainly sounds better, so I bow to your correction)
Old 01-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #41
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
well. you should. and so should you all.
Ni!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #42
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
I wonder if having to deal with rude Brits is more, or less, stressful than, say, living under a piece of corrugated tin with a stream of shit running through it, washing your clothes in the Ganges, and looking hungrily at sacred cattle roaming in your living room?

This is the US secret plan for world domination. Give 'em a taste of IPods, DVD's, cars, McDonalds and such, then, when they start getting weak enough to be stressed by phone calls, conquer 'em.
Oh who fucking cares. Life is a abitch buy a fucking helmet already.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:36 PM   #43
monster

in penance I post this:

Actually it's "knees bent, running about advancing behaviour" :p
Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #44
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Wotcha drinking tonight, then, Merc?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #45
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Que?