The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-29-2005, 01:51 PM   #76
staceyv
Lecturer

Well, this IS the ignorance thread, so I'm doing a good job.
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:26 PM   #77
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman

You must appreciate this is as easy for me to understand as... the international statutes surrounding pharmacy law. It may take some time...
Hell, that's easy. If it makes more money for the drug company and cost you more for drugs, then that's the law.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:30 PM   #78
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
I still have no FUCKING clue how a solenoid works, or why we use them over a switch, even tho my Uncle ran a dealership's body shop for 20 years and explained it to me probably 20 times...it makes no sense.
Running electricity through a coil produces magnetism which moves a piece of metal.

A solenoid produces mechanical force (movement) and a switch does not.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:40 PM   #79
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
A solenoid produces mechanical force (movement) and a switch does not.
Ok smartass, tell him how a starter on an engine works...
Old 04-29-2005, 11:44 PM   #80
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You turn the key, something magical happens, and the car goes when you push the long skinny pedal, the one next to the brake.

We really don't need to know much more than that, although I am heartened by this quest for knowledge.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:47 AM   #81
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Ok smartass, tell him how a starter on an engine works...
Quote:
even tho my Uncle ran a dealership's body shop for 20 years and explained it to me probably 20 times
I think that is what's confusing him. Of the zillion uses for a solenoid, the starter solenoid on a car is the one that replicates a switch.
OK, the starter needs lots of amperage so the cable(wire) from the battery to the starter is huge and kept as short a possible to minimize resistance losses. Therefore the switch is down between the battery and starter and you can't reach it, in fact you'd have to get out and open the hood then reach way down in the grimey bits to flip the switch.
More gooder to park your butt behind the wheel and let the solenoid flip the switch for you. Yeah, the solenoid is electrically operated but that's a little bitty wire that can be as long as you want. OK?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:36 AM   #82
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

I am ignorant of many things.

My first job was as an electrician, though I knew nothing of circuits and wiring. Since then, I have spent years as a professional programmer, yet there is much programming jargon I don't understand... like a musician who can't read music. Now I'm a professional graphics designer, and I know little about Photoshop (I mostly use Paint Shop Pro).

For years, I thought that the word "nonplussed" meant "to be indifferent; unimpressed." Also, I sometimes catch myself saying "irregardless," though it's not a real word; despite my efforts it hasn't been banished from my vocabulary.

Like others, I am ignorant of sports, but that is a voluntary ignorance... I'm sure I could learn if I had even the vaguest desire to do so.

No doubt there are many more things of which I am ignorant of my ignorance. For instance, how to word the previous sentence in a way that isn't awkward.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:50 PM   #83
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphonian Logic
I utterly fail to understand the mass market appeal of DMB.
Dave Matthews Band, Wolf.

this user obviously has an inverted obsession with Dave Matthews. I suspect that he wants to sleep with him. but that's just my opinion.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #84
Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Have you ever noticed when you are in the shower that the shower curtain keeps moving inward towards the stream of water? That's because the moving water creates an area of low pressure. The high pressure on the outside of the curtain moves toward the area of low pressure which moves the curtain inward. If you light your bic and blow to one side of it, the flame will move to that side towards the air stream.
Not only did I not know this, but it has driven me fucking insane for most of my adult life. I find myself in the shower, wanting to somehow mutilate and kill the shower curtain (no kidding, I think I've actually punched it). Something about the wet plastic sticking to my wet body sends me into a less than sane fit of rage. Then I get even more pissed because I realize I'm angry with an inanimate object and, until now, had no clue where the god damn wind was coming from!!!! So, in summation thanks for the explanation - at least now I can get pissed at the pressure instead!

Last edited by Asylum; 05-01-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:18 PM   #85
Jacquelita
Don't pop a vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
I don't get how everything computerized can be reduced to 1's and 0's, and how quickly these 1's and 0's can be manipulated to make, say, the letters and colors on my screen.
UT knows this one - he explained this to me one day over lunch - and I actually understood it! ask 'im - he'll 'splain it to ya real good!

One thing I'm totally ignorant of is reading music. I was completely impressed by my 7 year old son who brought home music sheets and starting playing a song on his trumpet - He was mastering(?) something that I had no experience with. It was inspiring and humbling...
Jacquelita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:23 PM   #86
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum
Not only did I not know this, but it has driven me fucking insane for most of my adult life. I find myself in the shower, wanting to somehow mutilate and kill the shower curtain (no kidding, I think I've actually punched it). Something about the wet plastic sticking to my wet body sends me into a less than sane fit of rage. Then I get even more pissed because I realize I'm angry with an inanimate object and, until now, had no clue where the god damn wind was coming from!!!! So, in summation thanks for the explanation - at least now I can get pissed at the pressure instead!
I thought it was the heat from the shower rising that caused the low pressure, but no matter. Get a curtain, or curtain liner, with magnets at the bottom.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #87
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

As an adult, you are free to revise your surroundings according to any rules you see fit. Shower without a curtain and just buy a second floor mat to soak up the excess water. Nobody says you have to put up with some dumb curtain that you hate so much you punch it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:55 PM   #88
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_pastrami
For years, I thought that the word "nonplussed" meant "to be indifferent; unimpressed."
Holy shit! I thought that too. Up until I read your post. Then I went and looked it up. At least I never used it in conversation.

Thank you. I learned something today.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:49 PM   #89
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Holy shit! I thought that too. Up until I read your post. Then I went and looked it up. At least I never used it in conversation.
Dude! I'm not alone! So this must be what it feels like when doves cry.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:01 AM   #90
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

I looked up nonplussed in the oxford english dictionary, and they actually have the contrary meaning (meaning not flustered, not excited) listed as a new non-standard colloquial usage in America.

So is it correct? Not technically, but the usage has some basis.