The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-20-2010, 06:17 AM   #31
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

My Birkies are my dress up wear for Spring, summer, and fall. The time I am not dressed or I wear some nasty old leather flip-flops.
I love my Birkenstock sandals.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #32
monster
I hear them call the tide

first chuckle of the week, thanks, ducks. Actually, this summer I was mostly sporting purple jewelled flip flops. I'm wearing them right now, even. They're a little grubby, though
Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #33
jinx
Come on, cat.

I can't wear Birks anymore, they are too wide, I end up kicking my left ankle and bruising it all up. Basic leather flip flops for me or Keens.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #34
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

I wear Birks, but only in the winter.

Chicago can be a mess pretty much of the winter, so I wear heavy shoes or boots for the commute. But the office is often overheated, so my feet'll sweat. So I switch to Birks when I get to the office.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #35
glatt

I have a pair of Birks I haven't worn in years. They are comfortable enough, but nothing special. They look kinda ugly, and they feel clunky on my feet. They are so big. When I bought them, the dirty hippy sales guy said I could use a hammer to help break them in if a particular spot was uncomfortable. Seemed silly, So I didn't do it.

Now in the summer, I wear Tevas or usually just flip flops. When I walk to work I wear sneakers and switch to shoes at work. I don''t want anyone stepping on my toes on the crowded Metro.

My Tevas are as comfortable as the Birks ever were.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #36
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I can't wear Birks anymore, they are too wide, I end up kicking my left ankle and bruising it all up. Basic leather flip flops for me or Keens.
Keens are absolutely the best shoe to come out as of late, I am on my fourth pair. When they go on sale I buy an extra to last when they stop making them or we have global warming on a larger scale.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #37
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Tevas. I love my Tevas.
I've never gotten blisters from my Birkies.

(although I must admit that under ordinary circumstances, the Tevas are just darn dandy, it was under very extreme conditions (DisneyWorld) that I had a problem with the Tevas.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #38
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Oh God, blisters at Disney World are awful! I got them on my first day from a new pair of Sketcher sandals. My feet are still scarred.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #39
monster

Did you get one large blister with two small blisters either side?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #40
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

The sandals had a loop on either side that held a stretchy strap that lay more toward the top of my foot. Its those loops that caused the blisters - on both sides of my feet. I had to change to socks and gym shoes when I got back to my room. I should have just worn those to start with, but it was effing HOT...like in the 100's, practically. I did wear the sandals for a few days at home to test them out and they were fine then, but high-tailing it around the Magic Kingdom to catch ride openings and fast passes got the better of me.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #41
Cloud

I wish I could wear Tevas or Keens, or most "pretty: shoes, for that matter. Not wide enough.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #42
Juniper
I know, right?

I wore my Teva sandals all over Universal Studios in August, and they were just awesome. 'Course, they were already broke in; I'd had them about a year. I love, love love 'em.

These.

Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #43
Tulip
Professor

Gosh, I had a busy weekend and before I know it, it's Wednesday! Time sure flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post
Arch Support is KEY !!!

And are your Big toe and Second toe separated ??
and if so By How Much ???
Big toe and second toe separted? There is a small space between them as if permanently wedged from wearing flip flops often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I think Birks are more comfortable than bare feet. But I wouldn't recommend them to replace care by a physician.
I know a number of you recommended going to the doctor but I am trying to avoid going to one. I know it's best going to one and I am not trying to replace a pair of comfortable footwear to a care of a doc. I'm trying to prevent the pain from being severe so that I would definitely NEED to go to one. Ever since I stopped jogging and started wearing my mom's crocs in the home (one size too big for my feet), I've had much less pain. I know the importance of a doctor's care just that I'm paying for my mom's dental work at the moment. My friend podiatrist's recommended Birkenstock, so I was just wondering if I should wear one now so I won't have to visit one in the future.

Thanks for everyone's input! Now I have more brands I can check out for comfortable footwear. Btw, I like crocs and Born. Oh well, I guess I have to lay off those high heels.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #44
monster

If you don't know what problem you are trying to fix, you could make it worse rather than better. And more expensive. Save your money, don't buy new shoes, see a doc. In my experience (far too much to be proud of), most PTs and podiatrists recommend well fitted, supportive, ugly sneakers anyway.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #45
Tulip
Professor

Hehe...thanks. I'll check out a podiatrist's fees and maybe I'll go in a couple of months when I stop paying when I can rest paying for a couple of months before the next payment comes again. I am not buying new shoes just yet, just entertaining the idea. Well, as long as I don't jog or walk or stand too much the problem won't escalate quickly.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote