The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 09-16-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
EmbraceLife
Realize the Brevity of Life!

Bird Flu Risks Internationally?

Hi. I'm concerned about the bird flu and have been reading about it for several years now. Last night on network tv, there was a story warning the US that is was coming - Prime Time / ABC.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Inv...=1130392&page=1

Here's some more interesting links about the bird flu:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165009,00.html

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/cheal/message/279

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avia...s/en/index.html

Any thoughts on preparedness, risk, threat, etc??

"Be thou comforted, little dog, Thou too in Resurrection shall have a little golden tail"
Martin Luther

Last edited by EmbraceLife; 09-16-2005 at 09:23 PM.
EmbraceLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

thoughts? hype? propaganda to help the drug companies sell more vaccines? Wash my hands a lot? watch "The Stand" again?

sorry, I have short thoughts.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:57 AM   #3
mltr79

Concerned

we all are very concerned aboutthe same
i came to know aboutthe virus from the page (not allowed to post a link on your first post in case you're a spammer. -UT) and got a good amount of information
i am really scared and the thought of a pandemic scares me to death
Old 10-01-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Probably the best thing you can do, until this develops a little more, is get as healthy as you can..... good diet, plenty of sleep, exercise, etc. Can't hurt.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:39 AM   #5
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Probably the best thing you can do, until this develops a little more, is get as healthy as you can..... good diet, plenty of sleep, exercise, etc. Can't hurt.
And, if someone coughs in an elevator lobby, take the stairs.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:00 AM   #6
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Fuck em.

I'll be going to Asia again this winter....eating their birds, walking their streets, mixing with the unwashed masses and not giving a thought to the flu.

I got my shots. What next? More shots? Then more? And more? Then more?

If I get into trouble, I have a hotline to God anyway.

So there!
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:29 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I work for the NHS (National Health Service - UK). We don't have any insider information, but it has been a common subject of conversation at work recently.

The general consensus here is that there are too many "ifs" for us to be concerned. In order for there to be a pandemic, the virus has to mutate and become capable of passing from human to human. Even SARS - which DID pass from human to human killed approx 800 people worldwide. If I went trawling for statistics I'm sure I could find a similar mortality rate for road traffic accidents within a reasonably small area.

I do appreciate that governments and health authorities need to be prepared. Models showing impact on critical care in the UK have shown that current resources would be overwhlemed. I think its important that the NHS is aware of that, and devise an action plan that could withstand a worst case scenario. However I think it is also important to remember that the model assumed an 8 week pandemic affecting 1 in 4 people in the UK.

My gut feeling is that this pandemic will not come to pass, at least not to the degree that is being anticipated (I wonder if I can get odds on that at the bookies?)

However I am intrigued by the idea of preparing a survival kit. Am tempted to get in water, tins and over the counter medicines just so I know that whether its flu, flood or zombie attack I can hole up and survive. At least I know I'll be okay if the power goes off - scented candles work just as well to read by, right?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:37 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

For the zombies you need per person: 5 day supply of water, 5 day supply of food, and a shotgun.

The fireaxe isn't good enough for zombies. You have to really blast 'em.

Oh, and you want your shells loaded with rock salt.

Zombies really hate rock salt.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:03 PM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Call me whacky, but *my* gut feeling tells me we are waaaayyyy overdue for just this sort of thing, and my family is laying in water, filter masks, ammo and canned goods right now.

I'm no paranoid, either...I just think that the time is ripe.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:18 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Be sure to get canned peaches. Mmm ripe peaches!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:34 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

If I'm gonna lay in for nuclear winter (or, zombies) I'm going to have chocolate PUDDING and fuck your peaches!

Plus, vodka, and cigarettes.

And, comics.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

and Swiss Chocolate
Old 10-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #13
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
.... ammo and canned goods right now.
Be Careful Ep, this is a **********very********** slippery slope. Next thing you know you're storing your own plasma and have your entire fortune converted to Kugerands.....

Your trigger finger twitches uncontrolably when ever the cable goes out for even a pico-second.....

And whenever you see a low flying helo, you're caluculating trajectory and the required lead for volley of successful shots from a high power semi-auto rifle.

Then Wolf stops by.... speaking very softly...... and puts this nice white jacket on you backwards...
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #14
ThreadHijackMan
Changing the flow

Nice work jackass, bird flu to white coats.....

So the general consenus is that this is a longshot but then again....with our luck lately .....snot a bad idea to have a little insurance.

OK.
ThreadHijackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:10 PM   #15
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Slang is psychic. I already do all of those things, except for the Krugeraands. I can't afford them, so I just buy more bullets. Now, if I can just find some Afrikaaner opportunists roaming around my neighborhood when the flu hits, I'll be set.