The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-22-2003, 05:32 PM   #91
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
... a study showed they [Palestinians] are pretty much genetically identical to Jews, not that they are "same as any other Arab".
A rather interesting point that make sense considering where both religions (they are not called races) come from. Any further source of details?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 05:36 PM   #92
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Then since they're two tribes decended from brothers, it's just a family feud. Of course any cop can tell you how dangerous domestic disputes are.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:50 PM   #93
tw

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
I've only been lurking for about a year now, but thus far, I have YET to see UT refuse to discuss a topic.
Here are the three points - the reasons why we have all this violence in the Middle East and why peace was destroyed by the right wing extrmist Sharon:
Likud needed to do three things:
1) Call for and get the murder of Rabin.
2) Do anything necessary to get more illegal settlements in the occupied territories - usually done by outright stealing of the best lands - in direct violation of International law, Israeli government assurances, Israeli law, and UN Resolutions.
3) Restart the intafada to justify more violence against arabs and to undermine any future peace initatives.

Show me where UT discusses these points. He avoids these facts completely to, instead, post more propaganda for Likud.

I don't care if UT does or does not post in a biased manner. Either should OnyxCougar. That is UT's right as an American who should not worry about the Patriot Act. Outright deception is by those who refuse to acknowldge this bias - that such posts are one-sided only in favor of the same right wing extremist Israelis who restarted all this killing. Likud started all this violence first by calling for the murder of Rabin. They being different from good Israelis, now caught and becoming victims of Sharon and his extremist murders.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:03 PM   #94
Annebonannie
Paramour of Paradigm

Quote:
Show me where UT discusses these points. He avoids these facts completely to, instead, post more propaganda for Likud
I must have missed where you posted your thread and invited UT to discuss it and he pointedly ignored you.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:12 PM   #95
tw

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah
Here's a more logical reason:
He probably doesn't post pictures of Isreal stealing land because... wait for it... It never makes the news!

You show me mainstream media coverage of this happening, with an interesting picture, and I bet it'll get posted. You know why you won't? Because it'll never happen. Mainstream media will never have said picture.
ABC News, the BBC and CBS News all reported how land theft works. The Palestinian's orchard is completely cut down because the orchard could be used by terrorists to attack a West Bank settlement road. No such attack occurred. But it is necessary for security.

Just a few small problems that those mainstream American and British news sources noted:
1) the West Bank settlement and road are illegal and should not be there.
2) when same is done to an Israeli farmer, he is compensated for loss of those trees. Palestinian gets no compensation because of who he is.
3) the farmer replants his orchard in the same place. But since trees take 3 years to produce, then the famer cannot meet his debts. How convenient for the illegal West Bank settlers who can confiscate the farmers land.

One need be totally uniformed - as Liza Thomas Laurie - to not see these news stories. However some would post here without first learning what happens in the world. It is situation normal for Israelis to confiscate Palestinian land for about 50 new settlements every year. After all, this land theft is a source and need for increased deaths in the Middle East. But then this is what Sharon wanted when he restarted the intafada.

Land theft by Israelis? Where does UT even acknowledge this common event yet alone show the pictures. One must acknowledge he is that biased when it comes to the Middle East. Land theft is noraml. UT never posts pictures of this event.

If this land theft was not happening, then where did all those illegal Israeli settlement come from? Where is the UT pictiure of Israeli's buying land from the residents? Why bother. It is legal to steal land from Palestinians.

As a CBS news report showed, the Palestinian farmer outrightly complained as Israelis built a new road right through his farm to an illegal west bank settlement. When the farmer complained, those Israelis laughed right in his face - right there on camera. They are the superior race. He is but a scum Palestinian. The racist hate was obvious. Another blunt example of land theft carried by CBS Network news. So BBC, ABC, and CBS are not mainstream? Not according to those who use Liza Thomas Laurie and Daily News for information.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:41 PM   #96
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I ignore tw all the time and vice versa.

There's this big lingering question that he has to answer, along with all the rest of you:

...and does this justify terrorism and suicide bombing?

They stole the land, therefore we can kill indiscriminately?

They put up settlements, so we can perforate children with nails coated in rat poison?

Sharon visited the Temple Mount, ergo their grandmothers internal organs shredded?

They think they're so superior but they're really all racist so do I really need to say it?

Why do they get this outrageous free pass?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:01 PM   #97
Nothing But Net
Professor

Aw, c'mon Undertoad!

Everyone knows that only a white American male can be a true racist. All the others are just "defending their rights".
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:47 PM   #98
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

TW, this is the Image of the Day thread. Show me the pictures.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:13 AM   #99
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
CBS News
People still watch that?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 10:27 AM   #100
goethean
ethics evolve.

Quote:
There's this big lingering question that he has to answer, along with all the rest of you:
I never said, or intended to say, that the Palestinians were any more ethical than the Israelis. I merely pointed out that UT's Likudian--good adjective, tw--coverage of the conflict implied that one side is more ethical than the other. And I would be satisfied if UT just admitted that he is simply on one side of the conflict.
goethean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 11:55 AM   #101
Tom
Kinda New Member

Does accepting which side you're on invalidate an argument? Would the Nazis have gone away if the world didn't take sides? Why reach for a label if you have a point?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 12:32 PM   #102
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Good point Tom and welcome to the Cellar.
I think it's human nature, when you hear someone make a statement, to consider it "out of context" without doing a mental search for who the speaker is and and their passed statements.
This helps us sort out sarcasm and inconsistency. I'm not saying I approve, but I understand.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:32 AM   #103
goethean
ethics evolve.

Quote:
Does accepting which side you're on invalidate an argument?
No, but the hypocrisy of those who think that they are moderating between the two sides, when in fact their position for all practical purposes endorses one side, is revealing.
goethean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:23 PM   #104
Nathan Barnes
Alphabetarian

Indecisive, but not indifferent

I can't pick a side on the whole Palestine/Israel situation. On the one hand, if the Western nations were going to re-establish an Israeli nation, they really should have used their own land to do it (New Jerusalem somewhere in Arizona?). Israel's rapid growth through hostile annexation of the locals' land during those early years bothers me, too.

On the other hand, the terrorists' tactics and the other Palestinians' apparent approval of them make it hard for me to maintain my sympathy for the Palestenians' suffering.

I am curious to see what will come of this new Great Wall that they're working on. If nothing else, maybe it'll keep the settlers on their own side.

I could completely misunderstand the situation over there, of course. My only sources have been a few books, a comic b...er, graphic novel and some news articles.
Nathan Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:29 PM   #105
Nathan Barnes
Alphabetarian

At least this latest project will give me a real fence to sit on. (ba-dum ching!)
Nathan Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote