The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #1
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

What do you buy second-hand?

I bought nine tee shirts/summer tops yesterday for around £22 in the charity shops in Ayr. Just about all my summer tops come from charity shops or jumble sales and this got me to wondering what my esteemed fellow Dwellars regularly buy second-hand, if anything?
For me, shirts, blouses, some skirts, shorts, some trousers, but never underwear (eugh) or shoes/socks; the occasional sweater, bedlinen maybe. I've got my eye out for curtains but think I'm unlikely to find what I want (though I did buy a great wee curtain for the dining room for 50p!).
I can only think of three pieces of furniture I bought new, as well (bed, sofabed and armchair, all from my rich London period!). The rest was either my grandfather's (dates back to 1930s) or were junk shop finds.
Well ... ?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I buy second-hand furniture like end tables, lamps, desks, but I mostly buy second-hand books (no Kindle for me - I like to write in the margins!)

I LOVE to thrift shop at Goodwill or Salvation Army type stores and the occasional local junk (antique?) shop. I love to find treasure.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Movies, music, and very odd what-nots, and knives. (I collect the two latter items). And guitars.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
monster
I hear them call the tide

Most everything. Particularly kids clothes, sporting equipment, toys and games, some furniture, houehold storage -shelving/tubs...
Old 05-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Lawn tractor with all kinds of accessories for sale in Philly area if anyone is interested, pm me.

I'll personally buy most anything other than food 2nd hand.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I *rarely* buy anything new. garage sales and second hand shops are really all we can afford, or we would be without a lot of things. We don't own a piece of furniture that was not handed down or purchased used.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I routinely buy books, CDs, and DVDs used, as well as solid-state or mostly solid-state electronics. (I can't bring myself to buy hard disks or printers used.) We also got our current dining room set (china cabinet, table/chairs, and liquor cabinet) used from craigslist.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Meursault
Cantankerous Incantonator

anything possible. especially clothes. it's a funny thought tho, when i find a bunch of clothes all at once in my size and taste, to realize that i'm seeing them all at once because someone died.
thrift stores are the best place for keyboards too. nowhere else can you still find those old indestructible ibm keyboards
Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
Stress Puppy
Elite Elitist

I'd buy a lot second hand. The only thing that springs to mind that I wouldn't buy is underwear.

Then again, I don't buy much of anything if I can avoid it. In my life I've only ever paid for my mattress and box spring, every other piece of furniture I've owned either came from my family or I picked up off the side of the street for free (living in college towns means you can find any free furniture you want if you wait until moving day).

Wait, that's a lie. We bought my girlfriend's computer desk for $20 off some guy that had just finished grad school. Everything else, though, was free.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

We go to the second hand stores about once a month. We browse through and usually pick up a few articles of clothes each. Last year my hubby found a YAMAHA winter jacket brand new for $25. We can usually find something new, or close to it, as well as many still in style things in our size.
I work in a beer store, so I buy most of my work clothes second hand. I don't feel bad when a nail in a pallet tears my $1.00-$2.50 pair of pants.
I make my own wine, and last week, one of the second hand stores had a glass carboy for $10 (they are about $28 new) So I was very happy with that purchase.
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I buy almost all my clothes second hand, and most of my shoes. I've even technically bought second hand underwear. Don't cringe, it was a bra sold on eBay because it didn't fit after purchase - it had a tag still on.

Being a larger size, it's so much easier to search online than track down specific shops. That's on top of the benefit of being able to search by precise size, colour, brand, garment type etc. And second hand is cheaper of course.

The vast majority of eBay items I purchse have never even been worn, or worn once. It's amazing.

Apart from that - books, CDs, DVDs all from eBay.

Furniture via the local paper/ adverts at work. My last two mobile phones were second hand (and not from a geezer down the pub either!) as was a smoothie maker and juicer, at separate times.

People like to have the next cool thing. Then they want to sell it, but everyone else is doing so too. That's when I buy. I'm waiting with bated breath for overweight Brits to decide Alli isn't worth the side effects. I'm happy to buy their leftover tablets! Then again, it's sold as a complete package here, with weigh ins at your local pharmacy - more likely that short-cut addicts will be put off before they even buy. Still, fingers crossed
Old 05-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Nearly all of my school books, trading with other students via facebook when possible if only new copies are available at the bookstore. Has saved me hundreds of dollars over the years. Some ski equipment like poles and boots. My dslr camera body and all three lenses. Some xbox games, but I've had bad experiences in the past so I usually wait till the price drops on the new copies. Most recent cell phone. My patio furniture and some indoor furniture like my dresser.

I'm pretty picky about the stuff I buy used. I like to make sure it is in perfect working order before committing funds. Getting burned on two used cars in the past has made me closely inspect anything I buy used.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Thrift stores and garage sales.

Without them, our place would be just piles of clothes.

The Wife and I bought, at different places, a teak cabinet for $10 dollars, a hutch for $5, and a kitchen table and chairs for $20.

We have no more room, yet we still find somewhere to put stuff.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
monster
I hear them call the tide

I put a related poll here:

http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20262
Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Books
Furniture (all my best stuff is either family stuff or stuff I got at an auction or sale.)