The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #166
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Well...I'd have hoped for more than a bloody minute!
The image of Shel and the reverse cowboy pretty much quashed it for me.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #167
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

A bloody minute?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #168
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

From the Washington Post of 18 April 2010:
Quote:
Five myths about the Catholic sexual abuse scandal
An extensive 2007 investigation by the Associated Press showed that sexual abuse of children in U.S. schools was "widespread," and most of it was never reported or punished. And in Portland, Ore., last week, a jury reached a $1.4 million verdict against the Boy Scouts of America in a trial that showed that since the 1920s, Scouts officials kept "perversion files" on suspected abusers but kept them secret. ...

Part of the issue is that the Catholic Church is so tightly organized and keeps such meticulous records -- many of which have come to light voluntarily or through court orders -- that it can yield a fairly reliable portrait of its personnel and abuse over the decades. Other institutions, and most other religions, are more decentralized and harder to analyze or prosecute. ...

A 2007 Pew survey of the religious landscape in America found that among Catholics who had left the church, the abuse crisis ranked low on the list of reasons -- well behind church teachings on homosexuality, the role of women, abortion and contraception. And a 2008 poll ... showed that even the bishops had enjoyed a rebound in approval, with satisfaction with the hierarchy growing from 58 percent in 2004 to 72 percent in 2008.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #169
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
And a 2008 poll ... showed that even the bishops had enjoyed a rebound in approval, with satisfaction with the hierarchy growing from 58 percent in 2004 to 72 percent in 2008.
Maybe because some of the dissatisfied have left the church.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #170
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Beebe Medical Center heard allegations about Dr. Earl Bradley 14 years ago
Facing 18 lawsuits in case, hospital could go into bankruptcy

Quote:
After four months of revealing little of what they knew about pediatrician Earl B. Bradley, accused of sexually abusing patients for years, administrators at Beebe Medical Center now say they investigated a 1996 report that he inappropriately touched young girls.

Hospital officials cleared Bradley of misconduct after reviewing the complaint by a nurse who worked with Bradley at his Beebe office.

The incident was never reported to Delaware's medical disciplinary board. Police and prosecutors did not learn about the hospital's investigation of Bradley until after they charged him recently with rape and sexual abuse of 103 patients during examinations or visits to an outbuilding at his office near Lewes.

The admission of the 1996 investigation comes as the hospital prepares to defend itself against at least 18 lawsuits from families of Bradley's alleged victims. Beebe officials said they fear the lawsuits could force the hospital into bankruptcy.

The disclosures are a turnabout from the hospital's posture just a few days after Bradley's Dec. 16 arrest, when officials at Beebe said they had no inkling of any past problems with Bradley. Since then, Beebe officials have acknowledged withholding facts that they have gradually released. During a two-hour interview in the Lewes office of the hospital's CEO, the clearest picture yet has emerged of Bradley's relationship with Beebe, where he worked in various capacities from 1994 until being locked up in December.

Sitting at a table in his office, Beebe CEO Jeffrey M. Fried told The News Journal that hospital officials did not inform Milford police in 2005 that the hospital had investigated the way Bradley kissed and touched girls he treated in 1996.

In 2005, Milford police also were investigating complaints Bradley offensively kissed and touched young girls, but Beebe officials kept quiet, despite receiving a subpoena in the Milford case seeking any complaints and disciplinary actions against Bradley.
Link

Link
from the video link:
Quote:
"It is absolutely imperative that this hospital survive"
At what cost? Was this part of the decision that was made not to report this A-hole?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:25 PM   #171
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When a nurse complains about a Doctor, she better have a good case with corroborating witnesses or evidence. If not, they'll clear the Doctor, because they have no way of knowing her motivation. Not the least of which is Doctors (caution, broad brush) tend to be self-centered/condescending when it comes to the help.

You know, I was thinking... the righteous indignation about children I see today, either didn't exist or was at least much less apparent years ago. I mean on a community/national level. These days you can't look at a kid sideways without a lynch mob forming. Whereas years ago, if the kid wasn't physically injured, people not immediately involved would be more like, tsk tsk, that's a shame, what's for supper? The emotional well being of other peoples kids, and sometimes their own, was not a big concern. Maybe that's why the Catholic Church was so successful at covering up these incidents.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #172
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Not to mention that there used to be a default position within society of disbelieving children when they spoke up about abuse of this kind.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #173
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You know, I was thinking... the righteous indignation about children I see today, either didn't exist or was at least much less apparent years ago. I mean on a community/national level. These days you can't look at a kid sideways without a lynch mob forming. Whereas years ago, if the kid wasn't physically injured, people not immediately involved would be more like, tsk tsk, that's a shame, what's for supper? The emotional well being of other peoples kids, and sometimes their own, was not a big concern. Maybe that's why the Catholic Church was so successful at covering up these incidents.
"Righteous indignation" and "lynch mob" both sound very negative, while "these incidents" not so much.
That jumps right out at me.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #174
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

They has a plan, or maybe it's a how-to manual:
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #175
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
"Righteous indignation" and "lynch mob" both sound very negative, while "these incidents" not so much.
I can't think of a better way to describe public reaction to any reports, even alleged. I've seen it right here on this board, calls for lynching, torture, sexual mutilation, etc.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #176
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Just when you thought the thread was done.

Catholic League: Not All Gay Sex is Abusive

The entire post:

Quote:
Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on a story in today's New York Times about a case of alleged sexual abuse committed by a Chilean priest:

If a 17-year old guy has sex with an older guy for twenty years, and continues to have sex with him at the age of 38—while he is married with children—is there anyone who would believe his claim that he was sexually abused? The answer is yes: the New York Times would. That's exactly what happened in the case described in today's newspaper involving a homosexual affair between Chilean priest Fr. Fernando Karadima, now 79, and Dr. James Hamilton, now 44.

Why would the New York Times try to sell this so-called abuse story with a straight face? For two reasons: it wallows in stories designed to weaken the moral authority of the Catholic Church, and it is so gay-friendly as to be gay-crazy.

According to the Times, it all started with a kiss. Let me be very clear about this: if some guy tried to kiss me when I was 17, I would have flattened him. I most certainly would not go on a retreat with the so-called abuser, unless, of course, I liked it. Indeed, Hamilton liked it so much he went back for more—20 years more. Even after he got married, he couldn't resist going back for more.

So what about the priest? He is a disgrace. Throw the book at him for all I care. But let's not be fooled into thinking that Dr. Hamilton is a victim. The real news story here is not another case of homosexual molestation, it's the political motivation of the New York Times.
Would you say it's abuse for a 52 year old to have "consensual" sex with a 17 year old? Never mind gay sex, never mind priest sex. The Catholic League is twisting like a pretzel here, trying to make everything OK. It's so much crap, it's practically entertaining.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #177
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Not to mention the Catholic church thinks sex outside of marriage or for anything other than procreation is wrong. So yeah, they can leave out the genders and the ages and whatever else they want, they're waffling on their face! (which is probably a lot like pancakes on your face.)
Old 04-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #178
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Vatican: Pope may apologize for abuse by priests

AP - Wednesday, April 28, 2010; 8:56 AM

VATICAN CITY -- Pope Benedict XVI may issue a mea culpa for clerical sex abuse at a June meeting of the world's priests at the Vatican.

The June 9-11 summit, initially called to mark the end of the Vatican's year of the priest, had already morphed into a pep rally for the pope as he came under fire amid a new wave of reports on sex abuse by clerics.

Now, according to the top Vatican official dealing with abuse, it's possible that Benedict may issue some form of an apology at the meeting.

Cardinal William Levada, head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, told U.S. public broadcaster PBS on Tuesday that he "wouldn't be surprised" if the pontiff issues a mea culpa at the meeting.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #179
Cloud

well, that's what the SNAP people have wanted all along. Maybe they'll shut up now.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #180
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I don't think Bruce is supportive of that view, and I do think it's an accurate description of values previously held.

I personally knew two girls abused as children. One was called back in her late teens or twenties to give evidence about a school caretaker (janitor) who exposed himself to her and was on trial for more serious abuses with other young girls. She reported the incident in the '70s and the reaction was very much, "There, there, no harm done." The report was filed, which is why she was tracked down later.

The second was physically abused and again, she reported it. Not to the police in her case - she was in care and reported it to the people higher up in the facility. No-one believed her. It was only a family member who heard gossip years later that made any of her family take it seriously. She was simply seen as being "disturbed" because of her background and the reasons she was in care in the first place. She had nothing like a criminal trial or conviction to give her closure, but at least in the end her family accepted what had happened. This was in the late '60s.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote