The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-13-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Second Chances

http://michaelyon-online.com/wp/second-chances.htm

I don't know what to say - I just sat here stunned reading it. I'm iincapable of comprehending what motivates these people to do this.

One excerpt:
"The official reported that on a couple of occasions in Baqubah, al Qaeda invited to lunch families they wanted to convert to their way of thinking. In each instance, the family had a boy, he said, who was about 11 years old. As LT David Wallach interpreted the man’s words, I saw Wallach go blank and silent. He stopped interpreting for a moment. I asked Wallach, “What did he say?” Wallach said that at these luncheons, the families were sat down to eat. And then their boy was brought in with his mouth stuffed. The boy had been baked. Al Qaeda served the boy to his family."
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

A few more. . .

"Al Qaeda: the organization that gleefully bragged about murdering roughly 3,000 people by smashing jets full of civilians into buildings and earth. Al Qaeda in Iraq: who proudly broadcast their penchant for sawing off the heads of living breathing people, and in such a manner as to ensure lots of spurting blood and gurgles of final pain, in some cases with the added flourish of the executioner raising up the severed head and squealing excitedly."

"After years of experience, the terrorists had prepared Baqubah to an extent greater than either Fallujah or Ramadi had been. During one of the briefings Saturday, General Petraeus mentioned that Baqubah was probably the most rigged city of the entire war. Another officer at the briefing said there is so much explosives residue in Baqubah that the bomb dogs get confused."

"The bloggers who demand fairness and truth are auditing what we write, but the market ultimately determines how much of any kind of reporting about this war ever gets placed before consumers."
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
"al Qaeda invited to lunch families they wanted to convert to their way of thinking."
I wonder how effective this recruiting technique was for them?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

100%, I would expect.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
glatt

I don't understand that. If someone baked my boy, I would fear and hate them. I may join them to keep them from baking more of my children, but I would just be looking for an opportunity to turn the tables on them. I wouldn't be loyal in any way. They would have to be watching their backs.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
I don't understand that. If someone baked my boy, I would fear and hate them. I may join them to keep them from baking more of my children, but I would just be looking for an opportunity to turn the tables on them. I wouldn't be loyal in any way. They would have to be watching their backs.
True. But then again, if they are powerful enough to do that to your child with impunity, you may feel that they are powerful enough to know what you are doing and to whom you are speaking at any time. These people must feel an overwhelming sense of helplessness. After all, who can rescue them? The most powerful nation that ever existed was not able to prevent what is happening to them.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
100%, I would expect.
Not quite. They didn't get the kid.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yabbut Glatt, that's Western thinking: the lone rebel fights the brutal empire, through just the force of his will if that's all he has left, because the most important thing is to assert abstract rights that he is not offered, in order to seek a better, more just way.

(What a wordy SOB I am sometimes. How do you people put up with me.)

In the desert, I imagine the biggest lesson is you don't fight forces stronger than yourself, if you want to live.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
glatt

But they wanted to convert the families "to their way of thinking." I can imagine fearing a group and going along with it grudgingly but I'd never join their way of thinking. If they asked me to bake somebody else's kid to get them to join too, I don't see how I could do that. It's the obvious next step to see who is loyal. I'd leave in the night instead. I do understand the refugee problem. I'd be one if they baked my boy and I thought they would do it again to another.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

sick.........and guess who I blame.

I think I would come off the table and take a body part of someone before I was killed too or pass out from shock. I am shocked just reading it.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

And the Democrats want to lose to these people?

It's not that I can't imagine what they're thinking -- I know what they're thinking. That's why I'm sure the national leadership of the Democratic Party is composed of total idiots.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #12
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
And the Democrats want to lose to these people?
The Democrats want to stop losing to these people.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #13
Urbane Guerrilla

Glatt, their actions tell us otherwise. The Democrats have no, repeat no, strategy to win this. They never had one, show no interest in getting one, and are therefore wholly incompetent. Don't vote for any, contribute campaign money to their opponents only, remove any and all support for this sorry Party.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #14
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Glatt, their actions tell us otherwise. The Democrats have no, repeat no, strategy to win this.
Unlike the Republicants who have it all sewn up?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #15
Urbane Guerrilla

To their infinite credit, the Republicans are convinced America should win her wars. This idea is completely absent from the Democrats, as their actions show.