The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Do you own a gun?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 36 57.14%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #166
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
Yes, I am saying it isn't--for me. And it's fine with me if you think that owning a gun is a necessity for you, as long as you're a responsible gun owner.

I don't agree that private gun ownership makes everyone safer. It only makes others safer if, for instance, a gun owner happens to successfully intervene if non-owners are being threatened. It makes others unsafe if, say, that gun owner's kid or angry spouse happens to shoot bullets through the wall.
Actually it makes everyone safer, even when gun owners don't intervene. When criminals don't know who has guns or who doesn't it makes them less likely to commit crimes.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #167
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Uk had 54 gun related deaths last year. gun control does work, its just that America is paranois as fuck, just because you have an old piece of paper that says you have the right to bear arms doesnt mean you should.
The UK has a much higher rate of violent crime than does America. They have more rape, assault, etc.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #168
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
The UK is not the US. Different cultures, different ideas. People in the US don't trust police to do everything for them, including protect them. UK culture emphasizes government protection for almost everything, including a ban pointy objects.

Suggesting the laws of one country would have the same effects (both positive and negative) on the other isn't really valid.
In the UK they have "subjects", in America we have citizens.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #169
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
You're asking me how I feel about those rights. Sure, I feel that it's wrong. But if rights tangible, objective "things" that we have when we are born, wouldn't the people in the tribe feel the same way that I do? The fact that they don't feel this way supports the concept that rights are not objective or universal, they are societal conventions. Sorry, I disagree with you.
I'm not sure I've said anything for you to disagree with yet. For the record, calling natural rights "tangible" and "palpable" is pretty semantically wrong, as far as I'm concerned.

But forget about Radar for a second, I'm asking you about the jungle people who sacrifice kids. Why do you feel that it's wrong for them to sacrifice the children? Is it only because it would be wrong in your society? Do you recognize the right of the jungle society to sacrifice their children if that's what they've agreed to do, or would you try to make them stop the practice?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #170
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Uk had 54 gun related deaths last year. gun control does work, its just that America is paranois as fuck, just because you have an old piece of paper that says you have the right to bear arms doesnt mean you should.
Gun control won't work here because we won't stand for Nanny State control. You guys can't even take a dump without the Old Hag sifting through it for untaxed wealth. Your a) failure to understand why gun control won't work in the states; b) your willingness to live your life under suffocating government control a tenth of which would lead to anarchy if imposed in the states explains c) why you so disdainfully and disrespectfully refer to our Constitution as an old peice of paper.

What do you have that's better? Difficulty: no crusty old hags wearing perfume that costs more than you make in a year.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #171
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
The UK is not the US. Different cultures, different ideas. People in the US don't trust police to do everything for them, including protect them. UK culture emphasizes government protection for almost everything, including a ban pointy objects.
Suggesting the laws of one country would have the same effects (both positive and negative) on the other isn't really valid.

I wasnt suggesting one law for both countries, and i agree there are different cultures, but its blatantly obvious that something has to be done to curb gun related deaths in the US. how its done is of course up to your citizens and politicians.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #172
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
In the UK they have "subjects", in America we have citizens.
sibjects?! this isnt the fuckin 1800's.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #173
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Gun control won't work here because we won't stand for Nanny State control. You guys can't even take a dump without the Old Hag sifting through it for untaxed wealth. Your a) failure to understand why gun control won't work in the states; b) your willingness to live your life under suffocating government control a tenth of which would lead to anarchy if imposed in the states explains c) why you so disdainfully and disrespectfully refer to our Constitution as an old peice of paper.

What do you have that's better? Difficulty: no crusty old hags wearing perfume that costs more than you make in a year.
keep repeating "we are free! we are free!".
youre all too scared to even demonstrate against your governments, and you cant say "suicide" on TV.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #174
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
The UK has a much higher rate of violent crime than does America. They have more rape, assault, etc.
source?
Old 04-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #175
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I am a very strong believer in sociological forces.

For example, if you give me 20 babies I believe I can raise them to believe anything I want them too, with one or two expeptions for the "rebels". If you look throughout history you can find just about every practice as a norm that we find to be unethical. Most of our morals have been brought to us by the socity we live in. The only expections I can think of are practices that would wipe a community out, like sacrificing kids (that is not a shot at you Clod) or complete castration of males.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #176
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
...But forget about Radar for a second, I'm asking you about the jungle people who sacrifice kids. Why do you feel that it's wrong for them to sacrifice the children? Is it only because it would be wrong in your society? Do you recognize the right of the jungle society to sacrifice their children if that's what they've agreed to do, or would you try to make them stop the practice?
I feel it's wrong because that's the way the society in which I was raised feels. I would not try to change them anymore than I would allow them to change me to their way of thinking.

I maintain that if left alone, unsocialized, we would not hesitate to kill one another in order to eat and procreate. Think about how a three year old acts. If another kid has a toy that he wants, he'll walk over and bop the kid and take the toy.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #177
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
I wasnt suggesting one law for both countries, and i agree there are different cultures, but its blatantly obvious that something has to be done to curb gun related deaths in the US. how its done is of course up to your citizens and politicians.
Well, you suggested that gun control works for the UK. What do you suggest for the US?

Quote:
youre all too scared to even demonstrate against your governments, and you cant say "suicide" on TV.
That source you're getting your information from? Yeah, you might want to consider changing it. I have no idea where you're getting the "can't say 'suicide'" bit, either. Are you just making stuff up?

Quote:
America is paranois as fuck
Funny. In the US, we consider these actions to be "paranoid as fuck".
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #178
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Funny. In the US, we consider these actions to be "paranoid as fuck".
In America, we have a car in every garage. In jolly old England they have a camera up every bunghole.

Besides I think the country that bans any object that might frighten a little old lady need not lecture the US about paranoia.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #179
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
All evolved species have evolved due to mutations. At some point a mutation occurred that gave us the very first human being. The non-humans who gave birth to this human would not have human rights, but their offspring would.
No such thing. There is no definition of human that could separate parents from children. Just like if you arbitrarily pick a point on the spectrum to be the "first red", it's going to be pretty orange.

The point of this is that rights can't be a physical reality if they only apply to an essentially arbitrarily chosen genome.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #180
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Yep, nice insults from all. Thanks Rkz...though everyone thinks you're an ass I make a concerted effort to listen to you and give a shit.

I'm done with this place. You're not the nice people I once thought. Have a great time. Luckily I have a right to think you suck.
Everyone?
You think I suck? Hmmm. I've always liked you.
Ok, from now on, fuck off and don't discuss anything with me.
If you are a child and can't deal with someone who disagrees with you, I don't want to waste my time with you now.
More time for actual conversation.
Can't see humor for what it is you are not worth it.