The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Do you own a gun?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 36 57.14%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #76
rkzenrage

Quote:
Amendment 1 (1st for a reason)
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

In Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli, an agreement signed between the United States and the Muslim region of North Africa in 1797 after negotiations concluded by George Washington (the document, which was approved by the Senate in accordance with Constitutional law, and then signed by John Adams), it states flatly, "The Government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." signed by John Adams
"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it!" John Adams
Old 04-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #77
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
The basis of all the laws in America is the recognition (not the creation) that we are born with unalienable rights. Our rights don't come from "society" or from "government" and most certainly aren't a concept or an opinion. They are a reality and are tangible.

Just as gravity existed before Newton "discovered" it, so did our rights before men talked about them or recognized them.
"among these are..."

What, specifically, are these rights? If they are tangible, they can be listed, right? Whether you want to say "hold these truths to be self-evident" or "recognition", this is still denotes subjectivity - it is an opinion, since other people do not have the same view.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #78
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I figured you would have more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I have the rest.
Except for the ones that I have.

edit: err. Uh ... "No guns here, Mr. Tepper."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 04-25-2007 at 06:43 PM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:38 PM   #79
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
There's no reason to fuck around, SD, talk to people at a real shooty range.

IMO, everyone should fire a handgun at a piece of paper for a while to see what it's really like.
You know, we could consider a GTG ...

Anybody belong to an outdoor range with liberal guest privileges?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 04-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #80
rkzenrage

I have a private family range and we have melons on the ranch.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #81
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You're just a touch far from Philadelphia, and the regulations for travelling with firearms by air are complex to the point that folks from the airlines don't typically know or follow them properly, from what I've heard from other's personal experience.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #82
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
You're just a touch far from Philadelphia, and the regulations for travelling with firearms by air are complex to the point that folks from the airlines don't typically know or follow them properly, from what I've heard from other's personal experience.
I just tell em', hand it to them packaged properly, pick it up at my location. Never had an issue.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #83
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Radar, you are doing a fine job in this thread handling some pretty mystifying questions and addressing some baffling misconceptions.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #84
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Radar, you are doing a fine job in this thread handling some pretty mystifying questions and addressing some baffling misconceptions.
Seconded.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:41 PM   #85
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #86
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Seconded.
Thirded.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #87
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
"among these are..."

What, specifically, are these rights? If they are tangible, they can be listed, right? Whether you want to say "hold these truths to be self-evident" or "recognition", this is still denotes subjectivity - it is an opinion, since other people do not have the same view.
There are too many to list. Among them are chewing bubblegum, riding a pogo stick, and posting ridiculous claims that we aren't born with rights on websites.

The list is much shorter to say what are rights are not than what they are. Our rights aren't to be defined or limited by governments.

In short, we have the right to do ANYTHING we want as long as our actions don't physically harm or endanger the person, property, or rights of non-consenting others. In other words, the only limitations on our rights are the equal rights of others.

I don't know what country you are from, but here in America, the fact that we have human rights is axiomatic. It's a given. It is recognized not only in America, but throughout the vast majority of the world.

All governments violate human rights to some degree including our own on an ever increasing basis, but nearly all of them also recognize the fact that humans are born with rights.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:08 PM   #88
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
What are you talking about?

Not like I had much choice since I was born here but I gave up my right to drink under the age of 21, use marijuana, have grenades, have nuclear weapons, kill someone, rape someone, hold whoever I want prisoner, own someone, and millions of other "rights" to live here without getting fined or going to jail.
Do you have a right to own a nuclear weapon? Why can't I own nuclear weapons? Because I decided to live in a society where nuclear weapons are outlawed therefore I gave up my right to own nuclear weapons to live in my society.
I have to agree 100% with Shawnee123 on this one. Rights are just like ethics, something that is made up by society. Also, you can not confuse philosophy (rights, ethics) with science (gravity, evolution) because one will disappear once humans are gone and the other will continue until heat death.
You gave up nothing....they didn't ask you to give up anything. Everything you can't do was a right taken away from you.

Rights are not created by society, they are taken away by society.
Is there a law that say you have the right to go to the Dairy Queen and get brain freeze? No, laws only take rights away, not give them.

When a deer in the woods wakes up in the morning does it contemplate whether it can go here or there. No, it has the right to go where ever it wants until someone takes part of that right away by putting up a fence or something.
It's the same for humans. When you wake up in the morning you can do anything you want unless someone has taken the right to do that away.

Your rights are not like ethics, they are not analyzed and agreed upon. Laws are like ethics. Rights are natural and yours until they are taken away by society with it's laws/ethics.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:10 PM   #89
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
I just tell em', hand it to them packaged properly, pick it up at my location. Never had an issue.
When was the last time you flew a commercial airline with a firearm?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:46 PM   #90
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Fourthed, or so -- I came in late.

Hawkeye's understanding of this is, well, immature. Time'll cure that.