Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 08-25-2004, 06:41 AM   #31
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth
I have similar problems with both cantaloupe and honeydew... after the almond is roasted, I have no problem.
food allergy (my father had the SAME exact set of symptoms to these foods, except his throat would swell up too), the reason for roasting causing no reaction is because he heat denatures the protein that sets off your reation.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:08 AM   #32
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
food allergy (my father had the SAME exact set of symptoms to these foods, except his throat would swell up too), the reason for roasting causing no reaction is because he heat denatures the protein that sets off your reation.
Thanks Labrat. I'd always wondered about that.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:56 AM   #33
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
the heat denatures the protein
What does this mean?
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:59 AM   #34
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

It's one of those things the scientists make up when they don't know why something happens, so they'll look smart & continue to receive federal grant money.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:20 AM   #35
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't eat bait.

Yes, I have tried. Yes, it was visually attractive. Even a ton of wasabi won't make it go down.

I will eat those ones that have no fishy parts ... the vegetable rolls. I can throw those badboys down like you wouldn't believe. Especially with brown rice. MMMmmmmmmm.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:52 PM   #36
LabRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
What does this mean?
heat causes proteins to lose their unique shape (denature) by breaking bonds that are originally formed to make them into the shape they need to be to do what they are supposed to do. when this happens, the portion that was recognized by your body (causing the annoying allergy) no longer has the same shape, therefor is no longer recognized.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:52 PM   #37
LabRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
It's one of those things the scientists make up when they don't know why something happens, so they'll look smart & continue to receive federal grant money.

PBBBBBLLLLTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!! :p
Old 08-25-2004, 05:18 PM   #38
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I have it on good authority that he will not actually starve.

He will eat. Do not cave in. Parental guilt is one hell of a motivator to cave in during the "i only want to eat fishsticks" battle.

Oh, and if he says he's going to hold his breath until he turns blue, just let him.

Assuming no actual airway obstructions, if he really toughs it out, he'll pass out and start breathing again normally.

Spectacular.

Most curtainmonkeys only try it once.

Very true. The kid won't starve. Or suffocate.

I don't have this problem, since lil Sidhe will eat almost anything you put in front of her. There are a few things she won't eat, but that's probably only because it's too fast for her to catch.

Don'tcha just love the art of temper-tantrum throwing? I just ignore it when it happens, and it usually stops--or stick the kid in a room and tell them that when they're done, they can come out.

The kid'll eat. Don't worry. Why not try topping crackers with stuff, like EZ cheez, or make pizza crackers (crackers with cheese, sauce, and hamburger or something on top). Make it a game. Hell, feed him nothing but crackers. He'll get over that addiction soon enough, if that's all he gets for a year....

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:37 AM   #39
Slothboy
*No known superpowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
What I usually do is, after cooking a perfectly good dinner, I call the kids to the table and at the first peep of complaint, I get down my .45 and start waving it around in the air like a wild woman--sometimes I have to fire a few rounds off (like if we're having meatloaf) but after that--everybody settles down for some good, old-fashioned quality dinner time!
LOL!

I used to be a camp counselor and people would ask me how I dealt with a cabin of 14 rowdy boys.

"I start off by killing one as an example to the rest."

In retrospect, if one of my campers had ever actually gone missing I might have been in deep shit.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:59 PM   #40
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

We had two HUGE breakthroughs this afternoon.

First, he tried (and subsequently loved, of course) a grilled cheese sandwich, which he had never been willing to touch before.

And even better, halfway through, he asked if he could fold it "like a sandwich." Prior to today, he would ONLY eat things open-faced, and wouldn't even pick up a sandwich presented with two slices of bread. Even if you pulled the halves apart again, he would still refuse to eat it. But today, today, he folded his "bread with cheese" (because calling it a "sandwich" is a deal-killer) in half and ate it.

I will persist in shoving out of my mind how pathetic it is that he's 3 and he just ate a sandwich for the first time in his life.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:28 PM   #41
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

small victorys clodd , small victorys !!!!!
Be Happy that he did this much !!!!!!
Our boy didn't eat ANYTHING weird , ( onions , peppers , ANY thing )( this kid would pick onion powder out of soup , No shit he would have a napkin full of specks ) untill he was older ( oh and I tricked him into eating some calamari !!!!!)
Now ( at 23 ) he is saying how GOOD sushi is !!!!
Strange how it all works out in the wash , ain't it ????
Old 05-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #42
Brett's Honey
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
It's not all drama. From my memories as a picky eater, she may have actually been nauseous. Probably psychosomatic, but real nonetheless.
I agree. I remember throwing up after being forced to eat macaroni and cheese when I was about ten. I hated it so much that it did make me that nauseous. I love it now, along with scrambled eggs, mustard, and a lot of other things that I couldn't bring myself to eat as a kid. Still hate peanut butter though, unless it's in a Reese's cup. But when I was younger, I honestly hated a lot of foods. I was not trying to be being difficult or controlling.
(I remember telling my Dad how good the chicken was he had cooked - better than Mom's, and when he informed me that it was rabbit, I immediately stopped eating. My great-aunt used to make the best apple pies, they were delicious until we realized that they were really green tomato pies. Funny how that works....)
Just stick to your guns and remember...he will outgrow it.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #43
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

*totally off topic* I've never heard of a green tomato pie...wow. And it tasted like apples?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:13 PM   #44
Brett's Honey
whatever

Green Tomato Pie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
*totally off topic* I've never heard of a green tomato pie...wow. And it tasted like apples?
I never got the recipe, but I know it had apple pie spice in it, which had to have given it the apple pie taste. And amazingly, the texture wasn't at all different from apple pie. The thing that gave it away was when my brother asked what the little seeds were in his apple pie.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:15 PM   #45
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I will persist in shoving out of my mind how pathetic it is that he's 3 and he just ate a sandwich for the first time in his life.
Mine won't eat a sandwich unless it's bread and ham. Anything else is a deal-killer. He won't eat mac and cheese either, which is just wierd.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote