The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > The Sycamore Manifestos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Sycamore Manifestos Random Acts of Senseless Coherence [Blog view]

Old 11-12-2003, 12:48 PM   #76
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I don't dig WalMart. It's not because of the oppressing economic presence bit, or the shady employee treatment bit, or the fact the breakroom in any given store could be easily mistaken for a cult gathering site worshiping Sam Walton. I just don't like the clientele.

I was in a discussion with some friends, lamenting my inability to find a place to get alcohol cheaper for when I hit up a friend's house for a party. One suggested I try Wal-Mart. My following statement sums up my position quite nicely, I feel:

"Matt, there's two things wrong with that. One: I have yet to see a Wal-Mart sell Killian's [Irish Red]. Two: Even were I to find such a place, I have no desire to go beer shopping while fighting off a horde of cranky rednecks and pregnant teenagers."

[NOTE: My other friend, who WORKS at a Wal-Mart started to contest the shot at the store, then promptly shut up when he realized it couldn't be done.]

Now I like a good deal as much as the next guy. But if getting it means I have to shop in a store where there exists a very high probability of hearing the intercom tell me "Irate customer in Guns requires assistance, irate customer in Guns requires assistance. Thank you.", the rewards are not enough.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:58 PM   #77
r9703410
Coronation Incarnate

pregnant teenagers? Whats exactly wrong with them?
Old 11-12-2003, 07:31 PM   #78
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Mike, they DID sell Killian's at the Wal-Mart in my college town. In fact, they had the best beer selection in town. And their groceries were cheap too. I miss that Wal-Mart...

Pregnant teenagers can cause strains on social services funds, as well as financial and emotional strains on their families. I have good ideas for reducing them, but I don't think mainstream America is ready to embrace them yet.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:42 PM   #79
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I have good ideas for reducing them, but I don't think mainstream America is ready to embrace them yet.
Heh, heh, heh, I'll bet.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:44 PM   #80
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

By the way gentlemen, Killian's is a Coors product. At least drink Rolling Rock: the proud tradition of your home state.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:52 PM   #81
elSicomoro

Not MY home state, though I drank plenty of Rolling Rock in college. Still drink it on occasion.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:53 PM   #82
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Heh, heh, heh, I'll bet.
I'm telling you Bruce...eugenics got a bad rap.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:31 PM   #83
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
By the way gentlemen, Killian's is a Coors product. At least drink Rolling Rock: the proud tradition of your home state.
Damnit, drink Yuengling (america's oldest beer!).
Old 11-13-2003, 12:22 AM   #84
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Not MY home state, though I drank plenty of Rolling Rock in college. Still drink it on occasion.
You poor, poor thing!

At least drink Penn Pilsner or something ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
Old 11-14-2003, 08:26 PM   #85
pjshimmer
Keeper of the Decorum

just to spice things up, I hereby post a pic of a Beautiful Warrior - guy or girl? you decide

Old 11-15-2003, 12:54 AM   #86
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
1) PA's not the home state. I know of no products from New York, but Killian's has "Irish" in the title. As my grandparents were from Limerick and Kerry, and bottled Guinness is a wicked tool of the Devil, Killian's it is.

2) I have bad memories of Rolling Rock. I helped my brother move out of his first apartment, he left a six-pack of Rock in the kitchen months or so before and promptly forgot about it. The smell as we dumped out the skunky brews, the confusion to my young mind as to whether my brother was weeping from the fumes or the wasted money...I'll never touch a Rolling Rock in my life. Such are the scars.

And BN, w00 to the Yueng, man. Rock on.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:38 AM   #87
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbaccus
and bottled Guinness is a wicked tool of the Devil
Not the new draft style...good stuff...expensive as fuck in this state, but still good stuff.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:54 PM   #88
jennofay
..the small and meek.

i used to enjoy shopping at walmart. i still shop there for a few reasons... one, they are open later than target, and two, they have some good cheap stuff.

however, if given a choice, i would pick target over walmart any day. at target (and note i am referring to the ones near us, this might not be true in your area):

1. you don't have to wade through a puddle of piss and shit to use the bathroom
2. you have some chance of finding a sales associate who speaks enough english to help you
3. if shopping within the last hour and a half, you don't have to fear that you are going to be plowed over by a guy pushing a big floor buffer
4. they have more than three check-out lanes open on a saturday afternoon
5. their shopping carts dont have wheels with large chunks taken out of them which makes for a very awkward and loud shopping experience
6. you have less of a chance of having a group of middle-aged women pushing carts and then abruptly stopping in front of you and blocking you from moving anywhere.
7. their security system works (our wal mart's theft prevention things at the exit go off for everyone and the person guarding the exit just lets everyone go through, why bother?)

i am willing to pay a little more in order to save my sanity. i have come out of wal mart ready to kill too many times.

Old 11-15-2003, 10:55 PM   #89
jennofay
..the small and meek.

(not that anyones talking about wal mart anymore anyway)

Old 11-16-2003, 01:30 AM   #90
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

i work for safeway. on my union dues bills, it always says "remember: don't shop at wal-mart!!!"