The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
noviceathome
Coronation Incarnate

Suspended Animation.

Assuming this nut is eventually cracked for long distance space exploration and re-animation is successful, what of the ' immortal soul ' ? If you believe in that sort of thing.
I hadn't thought much about it until I heard a scientist describe "death" as being a pre-requisite to the process.
Thoughts?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
glatt

If you believe in that sort of thing, then clearly the revived human body will have no soul. Much like a dog has no soul. Or a zombie.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
TheDaVinciChode
Chews Food Coming In, And Going Out

If you believe in such a thing (which I do not,) well... The answer is in the name.

The "immortal soul." Suspended animation is much like sleeping. You're not dead, so your soul will not leave your body. Your body could live a million years, but that's less than a blink, in Heavenly terms. Your soul, being "immortal" has no concept of time. Whether you die at birth, or live to be as old as our Universe, your soul will never wither, never die - It's immortal - It's perfect - It will always be ready, when your body lets go, to enter Heaven.

... That's my take on it, anyway, as a non-believer in fairy tales about magicians, invisible men, ghosts, zombies 'n' the like.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

All souls are immortal.

Suspended Animation is a fantasy.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
noviceathome
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post

Apparently some frogs do it.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
noviceathome
Coronation Incarnate

[quote=TheDaVinciChode;660193]

Suspended animation is much like sleeping.

Not according to some scientists it would seem. They were quite adamant the subject would meet all the criteria of death.

Not just thawing but some version of jump starting would be necessary.

Last edited by noviceathome; 06-03-2010 at 10:08 AM.
noviceathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
All souls are immortal.

Matt Damon is a fantasy. Suspended Animation is a theory.

:-)
Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
noviceathome
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
If you believe in that sort of thing, then clearly the revived human body will have no soul. Much like a dog has no soul. Or a zombie.
Would that automatically preclude a scientist who believed/practised in that sort of thing from attempting to further this avenue of research on moral grounds?

After all, it might be construed as a trifle irresponsible to send off a bunch of frozen, expert, scientists/astronauts to explore the galaxy only to reawaken a horde of soulless zombies.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by noviceathome View Post
After all, it might be construed as a trifle irresponsible to send off a bunch of frozen, expert, scientists/astronauts to explore the galaxy only to reawaken a horde of soulless zombies.
You say that like soulless zombies are a bad thing.

The whole "brains!" thing is just fiction. A zombie would look and act just like you and I, they simply have no soul. As I mentioned before, the Church's official position is that dogs have no soul. But I think dogs are pretty decent companions even without souls. Zombies would be too.

And it's not like you are destroying the soul. The soul is off to the afterlife and is having the rewards it deserves.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
TheDaVinciChode
Chews Food Coming In, And Going Out

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaVinciChode View Post

Suspended animation is much like sleeping.
Not according to some scientists it would seem. They were quite adamant the subject would meet all the criteria of death.

Not just thawing but some version of jump starting would be necessary.
The immortal soul, in all of God's wisdom, would know that the body was not dead... and if you were to "walk into the light," as they say, your body would die, you would not be able to be revived, at the end of your stasis period.

God has a plan, from the beginning, to the end. If His plan is that you go into stasis, and be revived 10, 20, or 10,000 years later... your soul shall follow that plan, and shall remain in your body... You are not dead, until He decides it is your time.

Really, there is no real question, as to what would happen to the soul, were you to enter stasis... If God exists, thus, we are born with souls... Then God's plan exists, too... and nothing can over-ride God's plan; certainly not any technology born of man.

Stasis, being not actual death, not God's chosen death, would simply be, as I stated, like sleeping. Do you fear your soul will leave you, as you fall asleep? Of course not. It's the same principal.

(Ignoring fact and science... because we're discussing God. However, if we're discussing science - Whilst you may meet most of the criteria of being dead, you're still lacking the main one... you will come back. So, technically, you're just in a very deep state of hibernation, with an incredibly stalled metabolic rate. So long as something is keeping your body from actual death, you are not dead. So long as the technology is in place to revive you, at the end of your deep hibernation, you're still simply sleeping, and not dead.)
Old 06-12-2010, 05:40 AM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

My immortal soul is in a pawn shop in Memphis.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
My immortal soul is in a pawn shop in Memphis.
Not anymore.

I just bought it for five bucks.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #13
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
They'd wake up as lawyers? Or maybe you meant "upper managers"?

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:25 AM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Not anymore.

I just bought it for five bucks.
Hah, figures...I got ten for it...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:33 AM   #15
GunMaster357
Professor

The main problem here is the definition of 'soul', immortal or not.

My OWN opinion is that the soul is what makes us what we are: intelligence, culture, beliefs, emotions, experience, etc.

Scientifically, it is said that all of these things are held in our brain. Today, we can read some of them with instruments that detect electrical currents, so I assume that, one day, it'll be possible to read everything and store it away like software.

Assuming that science could protect the body from decay, it would be a 'simple' matter of injecting the saved 'software' into the brain.