The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
I didn't watch the video because I don't drink coffee.
Can I freshen up your kool-aid?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe View Post
Not really my point. I'm saying that a bunch of peacenicks with a whole lot of good intentions really want some one else to go and do the dirty work for their conscience.
Yeah I realised that.

What I was trying to say is that isn't that the way it always is though. The armed forces are there to follow through with what the general public (or peaceniks) think are important issues? I'm still not getting my message across I don't think, but what I'm wondering is why you're upset about this political action which may or may not become a military operation, when things like this happen all the time. This is just a normal/usual sort of process.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #18
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Not really my point. I'm saying that a bunch of peacenicks with a whole lot of good intentions really want some one else to go and do the dirty work for their conscience.
Meh. Usually it's a bunch of hawks doing the same thing, but so that they can increase their power/wealth.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
regular.joe
Старый сержант

I have the same attitude towards a bunch of young republican ivy league students who absolutely believe that we must send our military to Afganistan and fight the good fight but are totally unwilling to volunteer to go themselves.

This has already become a military operation, Special Operations is already deployed and specifically helping in the hunt for the LRA.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
regular.joe
Старый сержант

To be accurate, I totally believe that we should be helping to fight this type of thing going on in the world. I totally believe that just because we don't have a national interest in the area we should not show some level of involvement, it is in our best interest not to be selfish fucks. But, then again we can't be all things to all people.

My problem is with a group of people who want to send guys like me places to fight, bleed, and die for a fight they themselves are not committed to fighting. It really doesn't matter if it's for their profit or their conscience.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #21
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

The citizens of this country have an all volunteer warrior class to fight their fights for them. They don't have to care whether you do it for patriotism; or, just a paycheck. They figure that if you take the money, you can do their bidding. They're right, you're just the hired help, don't be getting all uppity now.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #22
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
To be accurate, I totally believe that we should be helping to fight
this type of thing going on in the world. I totally believe that just because we don't have
a national interest in the area we should not show some level of involvement,
it is in our best interest not to be selfish fucks.
But, then again we can't be all things to all people.

My problem is with a group of people who want to send guys like me
to places to fight, bleed, and die for a fight they themselves are not committed to fighting.
It really doesn't matter if it's for their profit or their conscience.
Joe, I'm with you in your first paragraph, but not the second.

Whatever reasons you had for volunteering into the military, such as
patriotism, money, lack of alternatives, family heritage, etc,
they were your reasons and no one can/should quarrel with them.

But likewise, your quarrel with people who have not volunteered for the military are misplaced,
because you can't know their reasons for doing whatever they are doing in life.

For whatever military missions are created by the politicians,
I believe everyone is respectful of what is all to often
a glib reference to as the "sacrifice of our military".
The sacrifices of the soldiers and their families are real, and are truly respected,
even if the political arguments and decisions that led to them are not.

Sexabon has put it harshly, but with a volunteer military, each
enlistee should know and realize what they are volunteering to do.

But, it is disrespectful by someone in the military to denigrate the motives of others,
even when those outside the military are advocating or protesting some decision
by the political leaders (President) to proceed or not, with some particular military action.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #23
regular.joe
Старый сержант

I know and realize what I have volunteered to do. Maybe I am being disrespectful, that would be because I have little respect for someone who will stand up, rant and rave for something but not have the wherewithal to do more then spend some money and send someone else to ease their attack of conscience. I wonder if 10,000 people showed up to a make Koney famous rally how many would subsequently volunteer to go and do the job.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
Lamplighter

I realize it's unfair to hold the military to a "Salute and say Yes, Sir" rule.
So, I guess, that's the rule the military has agreed to follow.

We've had massive demonstrations over the Viet Nam War, the invasion of Irag, the "surges" in Afghanistan, etc.
What would you have people (outside the military) do if/when they have political opinions ?

ETA:
FWIW: I have not seen the KONY movie, so I have no opinion about that issue.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
regular.joe
Старый сержант

I would have them vote to send a surge of soldiers to Afghanistan, and volunteer to be a part of that surge.

Sometimes I think I really like Starship Trooper model. In the novel, people don't get the privileges and rights of citizen ship unless they have proven their willingness to put the only significant thing they have, their life, on the line in military service. Then you get to vote on policy. Until then, you are a member of society but not a citizen.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
Lamplighter

OK. I can say I understand your position, but disagree with it.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #27
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular.joe
Maybe I am being disrespectful, that would be because I have little respect for someone who will stand up, rant and rave for something but not have the wherewithal to do more then spend some money and send someone else to ease their attack of conscience. I wonder if 10,000 people showed up to a make Koney famous rally how many would subsequently volunteer to go and do the job.
I can understand this mindset. On the other hand, IC doesn't seem to be calling for US military intervention, but rather for money, technology, and training for the African soldiers currently pursuing Kony. And the filmmaker, at least, seems to make very regular trips to Africa himself and be personally involved in the work they've done to rebuild schools and communities.

I do find it disappointing that only 37% (according to an interview I saw with the CEO) of their funds go directly to Uganda, but as an organization that has lived thus far almost exclusively on the support of college students, I can understand how their travel and media budgets would need to be larger than other charities'. It isn't hard to find charities with much, much worse overhead cost ratios.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #28
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Koney! I'll take a loose burger, no mustard, no onions, and a side of chili cheese fries.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #29
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Thank you for the levity HLJ. Lord knows I need it.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #30
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
O.K. let me get this straight, a lot of people want to send me to Africa to get this guy, but 99% of these same people will not volunteer to join me...Hmmmmm...I say go fuck yourselves. And I'll go where the President tells me to go. Still, don't want to join me yet??? Go fuck yourselves.

I've had a bit of an attitude problem lately, I know.
Agreed.