The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-28-2003, 11:48 PM   #1
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Women like that

I'm rereading some of our more.....emotional posts, and it occurs to me that some women are more prone to have those southern belle vapors than others. I had a friend who used to simper on a regular basis. She was the one who had to banter with all the men-- had to be friends, had to be lovers. Above all, she had to have all the attention focused on her.

I had no way to combat that. I was a thinker, and not comfortable with that banter that inevitably leads to a bedroom offer. I am still not comfortable with it.

But it seemed to me that the men...most of them, anyway, couldn't see past her chest and that "you're the only man in the world" eyelash batting to what she was really like -- an empty hole, needing to be filled every second.

Ever run across one of these women? And what's the difference between the flesh and the Cellar? Seems like LB would get more play in real life than she gets here. Or is that just me?
Old 09-29-2003, 12:02 AM   #2
darclauz

And....is LB really what UT claims?!??!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:09 AM   #3
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I dont know but I sure could go for some donuts thanks to yer sig line.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 12:23 AM   #4
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

I've been friends with chics like that. Personally I don't care to be anything other than a friend 'cause once those chics have had a dude, they don't want him anymore. Which works out well since the dude's are already looking for the next chic like that.
      Anyway, it's my belief that the blackhole effect you describe is caused by the person basing their own view of themselves on other peoples apparent view of them. They can't be desirable unless all the guys want them, they can't be smart unless everyone says so, and so on. They're actually fun to watch a lot of the time.
      The male variety is not much different, except most act tough instead of simper. They have to act tough to be secure in their masculinity. It's really fun to watch the look on their faces when they try to stare you down and you burst out laughing. Good stuff, doesn't lead to the physical confrontation you might expect either.
      As to your LB questions, as I've officially made peace I won't be involved in that part of the discussion as anything said, either way, could come across as insulting.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:26 AM   #5
darclauz

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit

As to your LB questions, as I've officially made peace I won't be involved in that part of the discussion as anything said, either way, could come across as insulting.
yeah, yer right. forget i mentioned LB by name.... her comments, and UT's subesquent comments, brought my old nemisis to mind.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:37 AM   #6
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Nemesis? I thought she was your friend?

The scariest chic I've ever met was one that had no opinions. She was asked what she wanted to drink, she said, "Oh whatever you want to get. I'll drink whatever." She was like that the whole night. I asked friends of mine that had known her for years if she'd ever expressed an opinion. Any opinion, food she likes, preference about weather, anything. After a few seconds of shaking their heads one said, "No, that's kind of weird isn't it?"
      She kind of freaked me out. It was like she was the walking antithesis to my every belief. In short, she gave me the willies.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:35 PM   #7
daniwong
Vice-President of Resentment

Quote:
      Nemesis? I thought she was your friend?

The scariest chic I've ever met was one that had no opinions. She was asked what she wanted to drink, she said, "Oh whatever you want to get. I'll drink whatever." She was like that the whole night. I asked friends of mine that had known her for years if she'd ever expressed an opinion. Any opinion, food she likes, preference about weather, anything. After a few seconds of shaking their heads one said, "No, that's kind of weird isn't it?"
      She kind of freaked me out. It was like she was the walking antithesis to my every belief. In short, she gave me the willies.
I used to be this woman - due to a bunch of emotional abuse - but thats a whole nuther kettle of fish.

The whole "southern belle" phenomenon I have witnessed being that my family is mostly from the South. You also get it in a lot of California-type ladies. Personally- I think both are a waste of my time. I'm personally happy to sit and listen, voice my opinions when necessary and otherwise be happy with the world. And both these types of women drive me up the wall. I guess thats probably why a bunch of my friends are mostly guys.....
Old 09-29-2003, 06:11 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Funny you should mention that, Dani. As I was reading these posts I was thinking of several women I know that have, almost exclusively, male friends for that very reason.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:47 PM   #9
daniwong
Vice-President of Resentment

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Funny you should mention that, Dani. As I was reading these posts I was thinking of several women I know that have, almost exclusively, male friends for that very reason.
I have 3 female friends now - and this is because they are so much like guys that it makes it enjoyable to hang out with them. I am a woman - and I can honestly say I hate most women.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:31 PM   #10
darclauz

Quote:
Originally posted by daniwong

I have 3 female friends now - and this is because they are so much like guys that it makes it enjoyable to hang out with them. I am a woman - and I can honestly say I hate most women.
i totally agree.... i even moved to an all-male organization for work. i'm the only woman, working for and with about 85 guys.

carrie got drunk one night and i picked her up..we drove to the beach and she was sitting on the window with her upper body out of the car (leaning on the roof) when the cops stopped us. we each got a badge on our sides of the car..but she irritated HER cop so much that i didn't even get a ticket.

her ticket, however, said "passenger riding in unauthorized space" followed by a nasty little "hanging ass out the window" note. heh. what a night..........

she wasn't always my nemisis..only when there were men around.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:27 PM   #11
ThisOleMiss
Resident President

Being of the Southern Bell persuasion myself, let me put a few misconceptions to bed.

1. We don't simper and faint. That went out with corsets.

2. We don't pout if we don't get our way. No, we make your life living hell until we do.

3. We expect to be treated the same way you'd treat the Queen.

4. Yes, we flirt, it's because we like to, but we only do it to mess with your mind. There's nothing cuter than the expression on some poor slobs face when he finds out the women he's written off as being dumber than a box of rocks is actually a hell of a lot smarter than he is. Sorta pokes holes in the old ego. And if we deem you worthy of something more than a simple flirt, better get down on your knees and thank the Goddess we're interested because women like us don't come along every day.

Any Quetions?

Maggie M...
Old 09-29-2003, 10:57 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, we flirt, it's because we like to, but we only do it to mess with your mind. There's nothing cuter than the expression on some poor slobs face when he finds out the women he's written off as being dumber than a box of rocks is actually a hell of a lot smarter than he is. Sorta pokes holes in the old ego. And if we deem you worthy of something more than a simple flirt, better get down on your knees and thank the Goddess we're interested because women like us don't come along every day.

Any Quetions?

Uh, no...I think that's perfectly clear...and proof.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:20 PM   #13
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
ThisOleMiss: ..better get down on your knees and thank the Goddess we're interested because women like us don't come along every day.
      I believe you underestimate your numbers. I find women with these attitudes around every corner. Just don't bother to deal with them myself. I prefer the ones that can reasonably explain why they want something over the ones that "make your life living hell" just easier that way.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:46 AM   #14
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

While I'm very appreciative of the female form, I resent like hell any attempt to get me to do something by using "feminine wiles" or just plain bare flesh. In the course of my work I have run into a couple sales reps who seem to believe that their commission income will be inversely proportional to the length of their skirts.

Quote:
I've been friends with chics like that. Personally I don't care to be anything other than a friend 'cause once those chics have had a dude, they don't want him anymore.
I hear ya... I was friends with a girl like that in college and I considered trying to go further with her. I resisted because, though ti would have been fun, I would have been one of a long line, and I decided I didn't want to be just another notch on her belt. (Or garter belt--whatever.)

Quote:
Originally posted by ThisOleMiss

3. We expect to be treated the same way you'd treat the Queen.
Be careful what you ask for... some of us may not be as respectful of foreign royalty as you might wish!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 09:49 AM   #15
warch
lurkin old school

The schoolhouse divisiveness of this thread annoys me.
Insecure and manipulative people are well represented by all genders, eras, ages. I would submit that if we interact with other humans, we are all capable, if not admittedly guilty, of an amazing spectrum of both obvious and creative manipulation. To some extent, you know, we're all that.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote