The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 08-11-2002, 01:46 AM   #1
Nic Name
retired

How does this work?

http://www.dogbomb.co.uk/psychic_shapes/
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 02:26 PM   #2
russotto
Professor

Re: How does this work?

All the possible answers are the same symbol. There's only 9 possible answers to

10j + k - j - k ( = 9j)

where j is from 1 to 9.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 08:32 AM   #3
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

The first time I tried it, I got 'x,' which was correct. Every time after that, I got 'm.' This was also correct, but I tried to go back and figure out what I chose to get 'x' the first time, and couldn't remember. I guess I'll have to do the math...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 09:27 AM   #4
dave

The symbols correspond to different numbers each time. Pick a number (say, 36), then look at the symbol (and remember it). Click the ball. Now, hit the back button on your browser and look at the symbol next to 36. It's probably different. And if you click the ball, that symbol will be the one that is shown.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:40 AM   #5
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
The symbols correspond to different numbers each time. Pick a number (say, 36), then look at the symbol (and remember it). Click the ball. Now, hit the back button on your browser and look at the symbol next to 36. It's probably different. And if you click the ball, that symbol will be the one that is shown.
"So I see," said the blind man to his deaf daughter.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 11:07 AM   #6
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by blowmeetheclown
The first time I tried it, I got 'x,' which was correct. Every time after that, I got 'm.' This was also correct, but I tried to go back and figure out what I chose to get 'x' the first time, and couldn't remember. I guess I'll have to do the math...
They change the symbols. But all the multiples of 9 will always have the same symbol.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 11:31 AM   #7
dave

Right. I wasn't real clear on that in my explanation. All the possible answers will have the same symbol. For example, do it with 3 numbers - say, 80, 45 and 93. 80 - 8 - 0 = 72. 45 - 4 - 5 = 36. 93 - 9 - 3 = 81. 72, 36 and 81 will all have the same symbol, always (because they are multiples of 9). That symbol might change (because it is arbitrary), but the important part (that all multiples of 9 have the same symbol) will not.